Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Previous owner threatens lawsuit

Embrand

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this scenario:

I recently won a very aged llll.com at NameJet auction. I paid mid $x,xxx for it.

Now I have received an email from the previous owner threatening to sue me if I do not hand over the domain to them. It seems to be quite a big company with a trademark in a European country. I am from another European country then them, and I am not sure exactly how and where they would proceed with the lawsuit.

Do they have a case even if they let the domain expire themselves? Should I offer to sell the domain at the same price that I paid for it at NameJet as a courtesy? Or should I simply think "tough luck" and totally ignore them?

Thanks a lot!

dot.us

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think situation you are is 50%/50% and amiable resolved case is more proper - you need a lawyer.
Was company mistake/error not renew domain names (solid case) but because is trademark hmmm depend now.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Hire a domain lawyer ASAP.

They will be the most qualified to look at the specifics and let you know what steps you should take.

2. Remember to do due diligence on domains that you are bidding.

Check how the site was used on archive.org and perform trademark searches to see if there is any infringement prior to bidding on a domain.

Take care.

Embrand

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your good input, everyone!

Midnight Silver

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this scenario:

I recently won a very aged llll.com at NameJet auction. I paid mid $x,xxx for it.

Now I have received an email from the previous owner threatening to sue me if I do not hand over the domain to them. It seems to be quite a big company with a trademark in a European country. I am from another European country then them, and I am not sure exactly how and where they would proceed with the lawsuit.

Do they have a case even if they let the domain expire themselves? Should I offer to sell the domain at the same price that I paid for it at NameJet as a courtesy? Or should I simply think "tough luck" and totally ignore them?

Thanks a lot!

As of Now You Legally Bought this Domain and You are the 100% the Legal Owner of this Domain you Won at the Namejet Auction --- Regardless of it's History...

#1 IMO --- The Odd's are Extremely High that --- This E-Mail --- You Got "Demanding You to it --- Hand it Over" --- The New Domain you Won at the Namejet Auction -- is 100% a Scam !!!

#2 Did this "So Called Owner" of This Company send you a "Simple Email" with No Professional Contact information of their Business Operation Headquarters --- Legal Staff or Attorneys and the Registered Symbol of their Company...?

#3 Did they Simply Say to "Hand Over Our Domain" that You Legally Bought ...?

#4 You being in another Country also give's You an Advantage...?

#5 Sound's Like You got a Great or Fairly Good Deal --- Do Not Hand over this Domain and / or Give This Person a Great Deal on this Domain without a Great Profit...
And Get The Very Best Escrow Service !!!

#6 If This "So Called Owner's" --- E-Mail Passed Easily Passed all these Test's --- Get a Great Domain Attorney to Help You and Check it Out...

* Good Luck !!!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators