Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Proper way to place someone elses article with live link to source

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lets say I find a story on yahoo or a news source beneficial form my readers.

Do I just put:
Check out this article with the headline and live link or can I use a small excerpt from it with the live link? When does credit need to be given?
I write for the huffington post and I have seen people use my articles in various ways. One copying the whole article with a commentary above it and given me credit. Or I have seen part of my article used with credit and live link.
What is the proper way.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Ideally, a small portion of an article, definitely not exceeding 50% even if segmented, with a backlink to the source.

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Theo, Thank you.. makes me wonder if I should go after the 40+ sites who took my article and just gave me a source credit :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Anything you write becomes copyrighted the moment you create it. If someone posts your copyrighted work verbatim without permission, the backlink does not suffice; they still need your explicit permission. You can contact them and ask them to remove the article completely, or restrict the copy to a smaller portion, with a link to your work. If they don't comply, you can send their web host a notice per the DMCA. Keep in mind the DMCA only applies in the US.

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about a use of a photo? Say a picture of a celebrity if the article is about that particular person

clasione

DNForum.com Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a very debatable issue unless copied in its entirety.
If a portion is used, it will depend on four (4) fair use considerations.
Check these out: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107

This also gets even murkier when the use is considered for any of the following purposes:
commentary, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many wouldn't think this is a big deal, but the MOST PROPER way is to ask permission to post the article.

I have, over the past several years, on numerous occasions been asked to pull a piece off of my sites even with all the credits to the author. Some apparently have very strict posting guidelines they must follow that they are actually dinged (punished) if the articles appears in a non-authorized manner or site.

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well maybe the best way is to just put up.. Hey check out this article with a link? Can you use an article title? Also. What about an iframe? Can you iframe an article into your own header?

Charles Harmon

Travel Quiz Weekly | UiiR - Nostalgia Comics
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd also advise you to be very careful posting anyone else's article unless it is a very small part of it and you have a link back to it. This is even more risky if you use a photo. I wouldn't do it with a photo, unless you get permission or it is in public domain or an image you can share giving credit to the photographer. I have hundreds of images I use on many of my sites, but most of them are from Creative Commons and I give credit and sometimes a link back to the author or photographer. I haven't had a problem yet doing it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators