Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Question regarding whois...

Status
Not open for further replies.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have an interesting question regarding whois. Several questions to be exact:

1. Which whois servers provide detail information besides whois.networksolutions.com?
2. If i can type in a whois request and click the submit button in 5 second max, and i keep doing the requests over an hour, isnt the request interval then 5 seconds? Would i be breaking the rules? No. WHy then if an application such as the Domain Analyzer, for example kept submitting the exact same requests every 15 second (yes, even longer intervals!) would that be a possible problem and result in the IP lockout on the whois server? Isnt the purpose to minimize server loads? If so, why would even a lesser load through an automated process be bad and a higher load through typing in through the browser good. I dont understan their logic here.

That about sums it up. Anyone know anything about this?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is little point in talking about NSI and logic in the same breath. They're clueless.

Your limit is 500 whois searches per day unless you are in the domain reselling business. They are not contracturally allowed to put limitations on domain resellers whois. However they ignore that and do it all the time.

If you're using DNA under the "lookup" button choose "options" and then choose "cleanup whois" option. This uses crsnic.net which as far as I have ever used them haven't banned me.

If you want an indepth whois use the "auto gtld" option instead but that will get banned if you exceed 500 searches to NSI.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The analyzer was just an example, i dont use it becasue, well, i use something a bit better. Allowes me to get the info, store it in the database, search, filter, sort by domain, creation date, update date, expiration date, etc. Full reports, open database queries, etc. I have full control over who to query and how, so all i need is to know what the limits are and which whois server to use, everything else i can take care of. If only i had the info, i could fine tune the application.

Thanks for you reply, m8. I'll show you the app once its finalized. I find it to be extremely usefull.

Anyone else know anything about this?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is the point. Each registrar maintains their own whois server

EG:
whois.awregistry.net
whois.networksolutions.com

etc etc

For full details your software would have to query the authoritive whois server for the domain name.

Frequently many registrars will just return the name of the domain and the authoritive server when you do a whois for a domain outside their database.

DNA allows the choice between detailed whois at the authoritive server or a gneral query which will just show the authoritive registrar but not much detail.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, i am aware of that. In order to see who the registrar of the domain is, you still ahve to perform a whois on it ;) Hence the question: Which whois server allows automated queries?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cant look at what others use. DNA has a warning on automated high volume queries. They have it on their website and they are saying that you are using the software at your own risk. I emailed them about it even. Looks like all whois servers have a set limit on the number of queries you can run... I can understand that, if not agree with it, but cant they at least make those limits public? Why do i ahve to guess? Why cant NetSol simply post the allowed query limits? :confused:

daniel

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont think so. If you read, they say they cant support large databases (over 1000 records). This could indicate poor database integration or, as i suspect, the problem i am talking about in this thread.

My software can handle unlimited records (i currently have around 20,000 records in my database already) and does everything their software does and more. If i can solve the whois problem, i'm good to go.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't know if these guys could help you??

They do have a private label xml api for larger volume clients.

http://www.whois.sc/

I can understand that, if not agree with it, but cant they at least make those limits public

netsol 500

register, tucows I believe to be 500

Those are the only ones I've ever run up against.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is just BS! Today, i was just looking up a few domains through snapnames, all by hand. Just sitting there, looking up a domain every 10 minutes or whenever i ahve a free second. Through the snapnames website, just tying stuff in. How many have i typed in? Maybe 50, not more, couldnt have been more. I have never looked up anything from this computer before (my office) either. All of a sudden i get the "your IP was blocked for excessive lookups to protect our servers" message from verisign/netsol. What the? Since when are they incapable of handling 50 typed in whois requests spread out through the day? What are these guys doing?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, i figured out a way to go around the problem... sort of. WHile it turns out that there is no way to perform unlimited whois queries, there is a way to maximize the limits. I used to get 500/day, now last night i managed 2000 with a 20 request thread pool as an experiment without any blocking... i will try to see what is the max i can do in the next few days...

P.S. all the other companies advertising high volume capabilities turned out to have the fineprint disclamers regarding it being your responsibility to abide all set limits.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward your software.
Do you have *nix version ? :D

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing to this thread Point8T. :D

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"We put the WHOIS queries through several filters which group
them by the submitting IP address, and look for factors such as rate or frequency of queries and total number submitted, among various other factors. If any one IP address meets our criteria for excessive use, a 24 hour block is placed on the address. Roughly, our limits are 1,000 queries every 24 hours per IP address, at a frequency consistent with that number, approximately one query every 87 seconds." netsol

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would have this to say to netsol:

Let me ask you a question, if i want a complete whois database of domains that matter to me, why am i limited like this? I am not using the whois info for spam, nor am i distributing the info to anyone but myself. What is the problem? Cant you guys create a special tunnel for guys like us? We could sign a non-disclosure agreement or something like it if you so desire. Whois searches can be performed in off-peak times, etc. These is a way to keep everyone happy here, right? Pros can work things out. General public, spam artists, etc. - that i understand, there should be a limit here, but someone like me? Another way would be if you provided a special service. For a yearly fee, you could allow access to a detailed database where we can search, sort and filter all the data. That would work out for you and for us, no?

ANother question... what is this about: http://www.uwho.verisignlabs.com/

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"We put the WHOIS queries through several filters which group
them by the submitting IP address, and look for factors such as rate or frequency of queries and total number submitted, among various other factors. If any one IP address meets our criteria for excessive use, a 24 hour block is placed on the address. Roughly, our limits are 1,000 queries every 24 hours per IP address, at a frequency consistent with that number, approximately one query every 87 seconds." netsol

I can assure you that is a crock of Sh*t. I get wacked almost daily at the 500 name limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators