Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello
i bought a couple of domain names awhile back and had a big hosting company to call me today and ask if i wanted to host them two names through them.They said they got the information from a third party i guess that came from my who- is data base.Is'nt that illegal?They told me about all there big clients and celeberity clients that used there hosting services.Trying to get me to sign up
thanks for the input

Domain Summit 2024

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the legality of name gathering from whois.

But as to their sales pitch...who cares who they host? You can find good hosting services at reasonable prices from places that host regular people like us :)

Ask around here (dnf) for hosting recommendations...there are also dependable free hosting services as well.

happy holidays

mastmnds

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well if you need hosting contact me! I can make you a good deal since its christmas time.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Is'nt that illegal?"

Absolutely - it is a violation of the registrar's terms of access to its whois database.

Now go tell your registrar to spend thousands of dollars suing them to stop it.

Mizzoula

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, when you put your contact info on a worldwide database accessible to anybody, it's hard to say that you would have a winnable case against anyone contacting you via the WhoIs, regardless if they say they got the info from a third party or not. Don't stress over something like this...you're likely to get plenty of other unsolicited calls during your domain endeavors. You can liken this scenario to a rookie cop trying to bust every drughead on the corner when all he's doing is wasting his time and energy--there's bigger fish to fry on more important situations. The drugheads will always be there, and so will the unsolicited contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom