Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Rare Opportunity...what To Do?

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I have a chance to develop a 1 word LLL.com with over 135,000+ exacts a month and is currently ranked #1 for its exact term among others.

I can either charge low 5 figures, develop and be done, or do low 4 figures upfront plus the ability to place my AdSense ads on the site.

Any ideas? I am leaning towards the AdSense ad placement + less money upfront. Makes the most sense(pun intended), but some of you with experience in LLL.com AdSense monetization might be able to drop some knowledge and experience?

Thanks!

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only you have intimate details to know if it may work.

1)What is the category, how well does it pay.
2)What rate of visitors will click on your ads.
3)What is the projected yearly earnings.

So for example, if you think you would make $100 a month or $1200 a year is it worth it vs just getting paid $4k more now up front? That is your call, in this biz and based on how easily it can disappear Id take the money and run.

Also you are working on projections, if wrong which is more likely than aiming too low, more up front now is a given.

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adsense is never a good way to monetize.. We always use it as a last resort.

As far as development goes, I have no idea what you would get developed for 5 figures, but it must have a few apps and more for that money.. You can get almost anything that you need regarding making websites, for low-mid 4 figures and that can earn you a ton of money back. Depending on the niche you are in, I would go for making my own product and selling that. I would couple that with banner ads and you have a 4 figure per month money maker. Do that, get a few months of income stats and put it on flippa and sell it for 10x the money..

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You both have good points.

@dejanlesi, the domain is not mine, it is a web clients domain. I was merely considering offering a discount to the client in trade of me being able to place ads but now I am totally rethinking that. Especially when I can use the extra money to buy a domain:D I disagree with development price, there is a lot that can go on in development without the need for apps. I rarely if ever work on a development in the low 4 figures, it's just not worth the time.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
. I rarely if ever work on a development in the low 4 figures, it's just not worth the time.

I find this to be odd

that, work in the low 4 figures, is not worth the time.

as I'm assuming you're talking about yourself.

therefore, supposedly, you're experienced, if...you're charging such amounts.

so, why, the need to ask what to do?

unless this is just another, like the other

imo...

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find this to be odd

that, work in the low 4 figures, is not worth the time.

as I'm assuming you're talking about yourself.

therefore, supposedly, you're experienced, if...you're charging such amounts.

so, why, the need to ask what to do?

unless this is just another, like the other

imo...

I find low 4 figure development a waste of time. $1k-$3k designs are more of a headache than they are worth. Some clients, no matter the contract, take months to provide content, constantly use up time for mediocre, purposeless tasks, don't know what they want, along with a plethora of other things i'll leave alone . That's my experience, sadly..i've done one low 4 figure development that was a fantastic experience but 99% of them are a more of a headache than they are worth.

With 5 figure clients, they have always had their stuff together, content is ready, professionalism is abundant, time frames are set, expectations are logical, customer service is worth the time...so on. It only makes sense to me personally to take on bigger budget designs.

And yes, i'm still asking a question, because the clients i've worked with haven't had enough traffic to make this question valid. A few thousand visitors versus a LLL with high search volume that's ranked first already is a different kind of opportunity.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find low 4 figure development a waste of time. $1k-$3k designs are more of a headache than they are worth. Some clients, no matter the contract, take months to provide content, constantly use up time for mediocre, purposeless tasks, don't know what they want, along with a plethora of other things i'll leave alone . That's my experience, sadly..i've done one low 4 figure development that was a fantastic experience but 99% of them are a more of a headache than they are worth.

With 5 figure clients, they have always had their stuff together, content is ready, professionalism is abundant, time frames are set, expectations are logical, customer service is worth the time...so on. It only makes sense to me personally to take on bigger budget designs.

And yes, i'm still asking a question, because the clients i've worked with haven't had enough traffic to make this question valid. A few thousand visitors versus a LLL with high search volume that's ranked first already is a different kind of opportunity.

I find the points in your argument, between a 4fig vs 5fig client, as you put it....to be ridiculous.
sorry, but to me, this looks more like a subtle promo for development leads, along with price expectations.

but putting all that aside, if you got somebody willing to pay you 5 figures, then take the money, please.

no rocket science needed.

imo....

KCGroup

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find the points in your argument, between a 4fig vs 5fig client, as you put it....to be ridiculous.
sorry, but to me, this looks more like a subtle promo for development leads, along with price expectations.

but putting all that aside, if you got somebody willing to pay you 5 figures, then take the money, please.

no rocket science needed.

imo....

For one, I don't need to promo here, as we all know, everyone here is expecting "reseller prices" on everything anyways. :eek:

Secondly, I don't need the extra work as i'm already swamped enough and if i'm going to be swamped it sure as hell better be worth my time financially therefore I only work on development with 5 figure budgets.

And lastly, I was asking a legitimate question to people who have experience with ad revenue on LLL.com's.

AEProgram

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For one, I don't need to promo here, as we all know, everyone here is expecting "reseller prices" on everything anyways. :eek:

Secondly, I don't need the extra work as i'm already swamped enough and if i'm going to be swamped it sure as hell better be worth my time financially therefore I only work on development with 5 figure budgets.

And lastly, I was asking a legitimate question to people who have experience with ad revenue on LLL.com's.
there isnt one set revenue number from lll.com TMZ has one kinda revenue while some other LLL will have another. What kind of project is this, what niche, what is the expected traffic?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adsense is never a good way to monetize.. We always use it as a last resort.

Or a first resort. Adsense is a great option for a site just starting out. Adsense is simple, doesn't require any rotating or complicated code (just copy and paste), and 99.999% of the time loads up very quickly on a site (honestly, when I try out a new site if I am flooded with ads that slow down the site chances are I won't go back). You can also get some tracking with it and see where it goes with little time put into it.

As for the OP - take the money. While you aren't mentioning numbers, you are look at least $5,000 difference between low 5 figures and low 4 figures. I think to 99% of the people here $5,000 is still a good amount or even a lot of money. In a nutshell, you're paying at least $5K for advertising space on their site which is a hell of a lot for a site you are unsure of - even if it is a "sure thing" kind of deal. The site could be the next greatest thing or or could flip - you'll never know. Plus, for all you know they could turn around and sell the developed site and you could have your ad deal / contract ripped up by the new owner.

If you do have your heart set on having ads on the site - take the money and offer to pay them monthly for the ad space ($50 a month? $100 a month?) and give it a try for a year (have the contract for a year - maybe even pay up front if you aren't too concerned about the cash). This way if it flops then you're only out some money but still got high 4 figures for the project but if it does well you can renegotiate after a year.

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
draggar, what we do is not put any ads on the site until it starts getting good traffic and good rankings. From our experience this gives better search engine results then slapping on ads as soon as possible..

If you put ads on as soon as you make the site you won't make anything in any case because you don't have any traffic yet so I don't see any upside to putting them up as soon as possible. Once you have traffic you should experiment with better ways of monetizing it then Adsense.. Always be testing ;)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators