• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Received a $250 offer --- help please - granturismohd.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proboscis

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

I have just received an offer by e-mail for $250 for granturismohd.com, which is the working title (and possibly final title) for an upcoming PS3 game.

I had considered developing the site at one point, but have become too busy to try it. However, I thought that the value of the domain name would be at least double the offer value.

The guy seems honest enough about being a Gran Turismo fan, so I'm not sure. Maybe I will sell it if he bumps the offer up a bit.

What do you guys think?
 
Never counter an unsolicited offer with under $1,000. I would Google the guy's name and email to see if you could pick up some more info on him.

Either that or just counter with $2,500 for a "quick sale". An offer of $250 right off the bat means that he wants the name. Most low-ballers, low-lifers, scumbaggers, etc....will usually make you do all the work with dumb questions like: "How much?' or "Is this name for sale?"

Serious buyers don't waste time to try to get a name for a measly 50 bucks, so it is a good sign that the offer is $250.

Go for the kill.
 
Thanks for the advice. I told the fellow that my buy-it-now price was $1100 and he countered with this:

think your valuation (I hope not to be insulting!) is way too high, but I am prepared to offer you $350. I think that is a very good price for an unofficial game title name. I can pay by paypal should you agree.

He seems very nice and 1100 may indeed be high, but I think it is certainly worth more than 350, especially since it is very possibly going to be an official title. Is 350 a fair offer or should I let it go?

Thanks.
 
Thanks for the advice. I told the fellow that my buy-it-now price was $1100 and he countered with this:



He seems very nice and 1100 may indeed be high, but I think it is certainly worth more than 350, especially since it is very possibly going to be an official title. Is 350 a fair offer or should I let it go?

Thanks.

If you believe the name will be an official title and you aren't about to get kicked out of your apartment then I would hold out. It is unlikely that this is the only guy in the world who will want the name. It cannot be worth less if it becomes official.
 
I'm not hurting for money in any way, but it would be fun to make a sale. I lowered my price to $1000 and this was his reply:

Sorry,

My absolute MAXIMUM for this domain is $400. I will not be coming back with any higher offer. I think I am being incredibly generous given the situation, especially since EVEN IF the game was called that, it will only be around (and popular) for about a year. It doesn't at all represent a fair price. I think I am paying over the odds as it is. I will leave it with you.

My actual valuation for this domain was 500 bucks. I'm not sure if I should take his offer or try to bargain him up to my target. I once had a previous bid in the 300 range and flatly turned it down, so this is my second time around. Should I take this one or just wait for any future offers?
 
IMHO
Wait for a while ! (not too long)
Let him get ripe :-)
 
Hmmmm... if I can get him up to 500 bucks, that's exactly where I want to be.
 
If you had already another offer and this guy is number 2, then keep it and tell him you will either make 1k now off him, or much more later off of another guy. His call.

If it has gotten two unsolicited bids then its a good name.
 
I'm not hurting for money in any way, but it would be fun to make a sale. I lowered my price to $1000 and this was his reply:



My actual valuation for this domain was 500 bucks. I'm not sure if I should take his offer or try to bargain him up to my target. I once had a previous bid in the 300 range and flatly turned it down, so this is my second time around. Should I take this one or just wait for any future offers?



Don't take that... That's the same thing me and a partner of mine pulled to get a site at $400 and later sold for 5k, 3 months later. :rockon:

Stick at that $1,000 or possibly $800
 
Whatever your price is, $500, $1,000, etc, let him know that he can have it now for that price or you will need to actively shop it for a few weeks before you can settle for less. That usually gets people motivated to give you what they consider fair value.
 
He already went from $250-$400 in a matter of 3 emails. Dont settle for $500. Offer it to him for $650, and tell him to take it or leave it. Tell him you have already had some interest in the name, and that if he doesnt want it he wont at all hurt your feelings. Either way, $650 would be a good price for the name, for both you and him; unless ofcourse you plan to develope it.

Goodluck!
 
If I had the domain I would probably sell it for 500$, but this is only my opinion.

You can probably wait awhile, there is a good chance he will be there later on. The bottom line is, no matter what anyone else says, you should go with your gut instinct.

I hope things work out
 
Only you can weigh the pros and cons of each sale. Just make sure you are happy with whatever price you sell at and do it for the right reasons at the time. Don't sell if your gut tells you the price isn't what you want. You really have to know your bottom line for the domain, try to get more ofcourse, but know your bottom line.
 
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. It is much appreciated.

I just sent the fellow an e-mail lowering my asking price to $750, and told him that I am in no rush to sell, which I am not. This is kind of fun.
 
Here was his reply:

Yes, I would expect to create a site as intended, but it is not so important. I am not prepared to raise my offer - it doesn't at all represent value for money. Good luck with whatever you're going to do with it.
 
and told him that I am in no rush to sell,


I hate when people say that...........................

And, oh well, you lost a sale, from a guy whose offer was lower than what you wanted.. There will be more..!
 
Just a suggestion for the future;

Instead of saying "I'm in no hurry to sell" try saying "I hadn't thought about selling it but I would if I could get what I considered fair value".

Again, if $350 is more than you think you can earn from the domain you may want to go back to him. Tell him that he can have it now for $500 or you will need to actively shop it for a couple weeks in the $500-$750 range. You would only be interested at $350 if you didn't get interest at a higher price. Sometimes that works to motivate the buyer, but it also leaves the door open for you to go back and meet his price. If he doesn't come up to $500, go ahead and put it up for auction here starting at something like $400-$500 and see what happens.

BTW, your buyer may be reading all of this.
 
Proboscis
I believe you will get $750 if you can hold out a week or two
- it has been fun to follow along - Good Luck
 
I'd try and go up to $400, looks like he'd shell it out, then sell.

Good luck
 
Well, I finally decided to sell the domain for $400 to the guy yesterday. He flipped it immediately, having already found another purchaser for it.

I'm not sure how much more I could have gotten, but this is my first domain sale! Thanks for all of the advice, people!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom