Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker Recommend a registrar (to replace Moniker)?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, so - with Bari gone, that removes any remaining desire to keep my hundreds of domains at Moniker.

Now I'm looking for a replacement registrar. I have accounts at many but haven't used most of them very often.

Here are my impressions of the strengths/weaknesses of some of the ones I have used. Sound accurate? Any advice?

GoDaddy
+ good prices (after digging up coupon codes); pretty accessible support staff; ability to have domains appear in Premium listings
- privacy isn't cheap & is a hassle to work with; Bob Parsons' policies (elephant hunting, "GoDaddy Girl" ads, SOPA support, etc.) can be a turnoff

Fabulous
+ excellent support (despite being on the wrong side of the globe); possible to make money from sale of your expiring domains(? - have heard about this but don't know the details)
- high prices, unless you buy in huge quantities; also, I find navigating the interface confusing, but maybe that's just because I lack experience with it

Dynadot
+ interface is very straightforward once you get the hang of it
- high prices unless you spend $500+ per year (which I would, so maybe that's not an issue)

NameCheap
+ privacy is free with reg or transfer; interface seems easy to use
- regs are expensive unless you have a coupon code; support was weak years ago when I used them a lot, but I haven't tested it lately

Enom
+ domains can be listed under Afternic's Premium Promotion
- not very cheap (even with a reseller account, which I have); privacy is expensive

(I won't even include Network Solutions on this list; any registrar that charges for URL forwarding is not worth my time!)

Thoughts? Reactions? Thanks.

P.S. Another basic question would be whether any registrar is offering great deals on transfers right now.

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you considered NameSilo?
Please don't be offended if that is your company, but I have never heard of NameSilo. Do many members use it?

(One other factor in choosing a registrar will be finding one where most other domainers have accounts, so pushes can be made easily.)

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, it's not my main site, but I do have about 50 domains registered there. They are ICANN accredited and their prices are very competitive. The account is free and they also include free WHOIS privacy with every domain.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bari's gone? Shit! I was sort of under the impression that she was the only person working there. I have 830 domains with them.

It just gets better and better...

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like Dynadot (bulk pricing is decent) but GoDaddy is nice for the sales platform and with the coupons or domain buyer's club, pretty cheap.
I keep my names pretty evenly split between the two depending on coupons, extension pricing, etc.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
u would dump moniker for godaddy? really? :p

GoDaddy is absolute gobshite! They don't seem to respect domain ownership rights. Heard many horror stories of them pulling domains and asking questions later. No thanks....

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bari's gone? Shit! I was sort of under the impression that she was the only person working there.
As far as I could tell, she was - not the only person employed there, but the only person working there.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well at least they're still based in the US. Right?

I've spent years consolidating my domains at Moniker.com. Terrible news that Bari is gone.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because .... ?

been with Fabulous.com for years not a single issue not solved in swift time... easy to use ... I liked Moniker many years ago...I like Moniker's system too but they made a ton of mistakes and promises and costly slow response time to issues. Thats my reason for transfering out. I really have nothing good to say about Moniker since Lee Odom left in like 2007/8. I do use many others registrars but Fabulous is my overall fav. JMO :yo:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
been with Fabulous.com for years not a single issue not solved in swift time... easy to use ... I liked Moniker many years ago...I like Moniker's system too but they made a ton of mistakes and promises and costly slow response time to issues. Thats my reason for transfering out. I really have nothing good to say about Moniker since Lee Odom left in like 2007/8. I do use many others registrars but Fabulous is my overall fav. JMO :yo:
Thanks for the info. If their .com prices were a bit lower, it would be a lot easier to choose them. (I can overlook some of GoDaddy's sins when I'm paying $6.xx for .com reg's there, as opposed to $8.49 in the "tier" where I'd probably fall at Fabulous. I assume both rates will rise similarly as of the 15th.)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like Dynadot & Fabulous. They may not be the cheapest but peace of mind is worth an extra dollar (written off as business expense).

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fabulous all the way.
Just checked out their rates, seems kind of silly that you need 5k domains to get the same price godaddy gives for any.

Last edited:

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bari was a great Account manager but is not the only one that was able to assist you here at Moniker. Most of her accounts are being reassigned. Customer support is all hanldled all out of Moniker.com and Snapnames.com offices. If you are not getting good service at Moniker.com or SnapNames.com please email me at [email protected] or PM and let me know the issue. We would like the opportunity to earn you business. I will respond directly or reassign your account to another very qualified account manager to resolve your issue expeditiously. We are in the process of hiring 5 new Client Service reps and additional account managers for the Ft Lauderdale/pompano beach offices . Both Moniker and Snapnames are doing very well an are expanding, despite any rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators