Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Regging .us domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few .us domains i am interested in, the only problem is that i am British. I am not allowed to reg any .us domains directly, but does anyone know if i can buy one from someone on this forum? Would i get it taken away at the slightest hint of an American wanting it, or would i have rights to the name????

By the way the domains that i have seen are generic so shouldn't really have any TM issues.

Domain Summit 2024

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you do not have any direct legitimate business interest in America then I would stay away. There will be some upcoming challenges to the legitimacy of some US registrations as the namespace becomes more popular in the next two years. I wouldn't mess with a court system that favors it's own citizens. .US is far more lenient than .CA but about equal with .CO.UK for now.

M

mole

clemzonguy said:
There will be some upcoming challenges to the legitimacy of some US registrations as the namespace becomes more popular in the next two years.

Actually, any challenges will be good for the namespace, it suggests that people both enough to fight for a .US name.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well if they are on a par with the .co.uk watchdog Nominet, then i should think i would have no chance! I think i will just stay away from .us domains now.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem with Nominet. I own 3 .co.uk with no problems for years.
Anyone had a problem?

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They charge £35 for changing legal ownership details on a .co.uk when two years ago it was free! Robbing bar stewards!

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is too much but this applies to both british and non-british registrations.

They don't give any trooble specifically to non-british registrants, do they?

aggieuk said:
They charge £35 for changing legal ownership details on a .co.uk when two years ago it was free! Robbing bar stewards!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there are no restrictions I am aware of for co.uk (well assuming at least you are in the EU)

for .us it is more difficult, but not impossible.

M

mole

seeker said:
for .us it is more difficult, but not impossible.

Nexus C3 does not make it "impossible". You need to follow certain rules yes, so follow them.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Actually, any challenges will be good for the namespace, it suggests that people both enough to fight for a .US name.

You can make a challenge, but it will cost you, so you better really want the name. I saw a name I wanted that was registered to a German with no apparent connections to the US based on the whois record. I made a request to the .us registry about challenging the ownership, and they said I'd have to file a UDRP or WIPO claim. It didn't make sense since it wasn't a trademark issue and not worth the cost so I let it drop. It was also very shortly after the us TLD rollout.

I'd like to hear about any real challenges.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is always good to find a "partner for your business", that does business inside the country of the TLD. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom