Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

register.com - unpaid names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was searching domains and came across one that i would like but on checking the whois to see when it expires it appears it ran out feb2002 yet it still shows as registered by register.com's unpaid department.

any idea how I can go about getting this domain. surely they have to let it drop once the time expires regardless of if they have been paid or not ???

Should i approach register.com? or will they hike the price knowing there is interest in the domain

HELP!!!

p.s.

heres the whois info...

Organization:
register.com
Unpaid Names Department-R
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 212-798-9200
Fax..: 212-594-9876
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: XXX.COM <--- this is not the domain

Created on..............: Wed, Feb 16, 2000
Expires on..............: Sat, Feb 16, 2002
Record last updated on..: Thu, Jul 11, 2002

Administrative Contact:
register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US

Technical Contact:
register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US

Zone Contact:
register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS15.REGISTER.COM 216.21.234.78
DNS16.REGISTER.COM 209.67.50.246

Register your domain name at http://www.register.com

You may be able to buy this domain name through http://www.afternic.com/offer

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
register.com "unpaid names" means domains that have expired, but register.com decided to keep for itself. It's been a constant problem and getting worst.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
damn that sucks...

is there no regulatory code of conduct for companys in their position?

its a shame i live in the uk or i would very probably write a letter to my senator :)

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
also in that case why havent they updated the whois to reflect that its still technically registered?

surely what they are doing at the moment is tantamount to domain 'kidnap' (for want of a better word) as surely if they had regged it themselves then the whois would be updated.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not only domain kidnaping - some are big sites that forgetfull webmasters let expire by mistake.

Thgere is no language in any of the registry or ICANN agreements that forces a registrar to release a domain back to the pool once a registrant goes away.

ICANN recently spent considerable time discussing a mandatory grace period for domains so that they don't drop within 30 days of expiration and an owner can renew them without too large a penalty (though the registrar can charge extra to renew an expired domain...), however there was no insistance on any sort of standard drop policy.

The registrar pays the renewal at the registry automatically when the domain expires. Today, the registrant loses if the registrar chooses.

Choose your registrar carefully.

-t

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just call the Unpaid Names Department at the phone number listed in the whois. Tell them that you have been waiting to register the domain name for several months and that the name is way past expiration. Ask them if there is anyway that you can register the domain name. If you are nice about it, customer service will put the domain name back in the delete cycle and the domain name will be released in a few weeks or so. I have done it several times in the past and the name always ended up being released although it was always at least a couple of weeks later. Good luck.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Momentum
Just call the Unpaid Names Department at the phone number listed in the whois. Tell them that you have been waiting to register the domain name for several months and that the name is way past expiration. Ask them if there is anyway that you can register the domain name. If you are nice about it, customer service will put the domain name back in the delete cycle and the domain name will be released in a few weeks or so. I have done it several times in the past and the name always ended up being released although it was always at least a couple of weeks later. Good luck.

I emailed the contact (uk to us calls are a bit pricey to get a no) but thanks for the info that is a little reassuring...

is there any way of telling if people have a snap on it already? i'd rather not get it free'd up for someone else to rush in and grab it

cheers

CiQ

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just go to Snapnames.com and do a check to see if there is a snap on the name. If you are really serious about getting the domain name, then I would call. Like most big companies they are terrible about replying to emails.

P

prasit

there was once a domain name was shown expired more than a year, but still had the owner name on it.

I e-mailed register.com and asked them how can I regged the name.

Two days later, they replied that the name is now renewed. I checked the registration informatin and found that it is now renewed.

what do you guys think?

My advice is just keep your eye on the domain name and don't contact register.com, until they drop the name for you.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When i contacted them i merely mentioned i have interest in a 'few' domains that are in this state and asked them how i should go about registering them as I was apprehensive about giving them the names...

momentum: i'll check snapnames...

cheers

Ciq

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators