Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Registrar holding history?

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
I have been paying a registrar for a domain name. It disappeared from my account and now I wonder whether the registrar if ever held the domain. Is there a way to check?

The domain now has a creation date that is several days before what was supposed to be the expiration date I was given. How is that possible?

Any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you pay them for it or did it just seem available some time during your checkout process?

You can order whois history info for 3$ per name at reg.com.

Easier to help you if you share the name.

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
Sorry was unsure about sharing domain name. Here are details

ILUVMYDOC.COM
1) Transfered from GoDaddy to NameSilo on 2015-04-22
2) was set to expire on: 2017-11-24 (Nov 24)
3) Placed 1 year renewal order on 2017-10-11 (Oct 11)
4) Recieved confirmation on Oct 11 and funds deducted from pre-paid account.
5) After Oct 11, I have recieved no email about domain from registrar.
6) Several days ago I went to renew domain, but was no longer in account. Expiration should have been 2018-11-25
7) Registrar currently not responding to queries about disappearance.
8) Name seems to be held by another with creation date of 2017-11-21

Even if NameSilo neglected to renew. How can the creation date be earlier than even the first expiration.
Thanks,
ViolinKid

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
Did you pay them for it or did it just seem available some time during your checkout process?

You can order whois history info for 3$ per name at reg.com.

Easier to help you if you share the name.
Answered your question to the best of my ability, would greatly appreciate your sage advice.

Reaction score
I looked round all the free sources I could and there wasn't any definitive history. All I could find was that the domain nameservers stopped resolving on 13th October but that doesn't mean the domain dropped then. You can get the whois history at reg.com and research.domaintools.com but unless any other members have records I don't see any info publicly available.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes Rob is right. Without whois history its hard to say what happened. Though according to the information you put forth something is definitely amiss. Registrar could have missed the renewal but that does not explain the new (early) reg date.

If the names means something to you spring the 3$ needed and purchase history at reg.com. Seems its semi developed now with an affiliate shop or something put on there.

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
I am not seeing where to purchase whois history on reg.com. Can someone point me in right direction. Thanks.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paste the domain in the box at the top of the page and hit "whois".

Then scroll down a bit and you will find a button named "whois history". Hit that and select "whois history query".. Its 188 rubles = 2.7 USD.

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
Got the report. It is as expected. The renewal was not applied to the domain, despite my confirmation email and payment deduction. Bad practice to send confirmations of something that did not happen. Oddly enough it looks like NameSilo dropped the domain on what was supposed to be the renewal date. The domain did not go to it's normal expiry and there was no grace period. Things NameSilo claims happened. NameSilo does not seem to be responding to me. Any suggestions.

Reaction score
I assume namesilo refunded you? Even so you cannot do anything about the domain ownership now. However if Namesilo haven't responded to your questions that is very poor form and doesn't bode well for others who might have been thinking of using them.
I would contact them asking for a *real* explanation as to what happened - ie a personal response from someone who has looked into the matter and let them know if they have not at least even acknowledged you within a week you will be taking out a complaint against them at ICANN. You can contact ICANN via https://www.icann.org/compliance/complaint

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
Very short dialog. They maintain that the domain expired and grace period ended, but refuse to address how the current creation date on domain is before the expiration date I was assigned. Accidents happen in any buisness, but refusing to communicate is just bad buisness.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is very surprising to me actually.. Namesilo is a domainer centric registrar, I would expect a higher level of service.. If possible send me the reg.com whois report on sales (@) DNForum.com, will try and send out a feeler.

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
This is very surprising to me actually.. Namesilo is a domainer centric registrar, I would expect a higher level of service.. If possible send me the reg.com whois report on sales (@) DNForum.com, will try and send out a feeler.
Thank-you, it would be great to find a diplomatic solution. Please check email.

Reaction score
In my experience when a registrar/service provide screws up they do not provide you with an answer. They are very quick to explain exactly what happened when it's not their fault or problem. As they cannot (or will not) explain why the domain has a creation date before due expiry date I would assume that they messed up. Any company that doesn't hold its hand up to errors is one to be avoided in my opinion. I have heard complaints about NS before but you expect nobody is 100% satisfied with their registrar. However not addressing the issue is a big 'don't use us' sign for me.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I checked and replied to your email.

As you say something is definitely amiss.

ViolinKid

Level 1
Reaction score
Agreed. Something is amiss. Very disappointed in NameSilo service.

I wonder if the quality of service has anything to do with the NameSilo being acquired by investment firm Brisio Innovations Inc.
It may no longer be the company it once was. There could have been a significant change to the crew running things. Anyone have insider knowledge?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom