Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Remember P2P.com case....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www.domainnamewire.com

Domain Name Thief Pleads Guilty, May Spend 5 Years in Jail
Monday, December 13th, 2010
New Jersey man expected to serve about five years in jail for domain theft.

The man accused of stealing the P2P.com domain name and selling it to NBA player Mark Madsen has entered a guilty plea in a New Jersey criminal case.

Daniel Goncalves, 26, of Union Township, pleaded guilty to theft by unlawful taking, theft by deception, and computer theft, all in the second degree, before Superior Court Judge Stuart L. Peim in Union County. As part of a plea bargain, prosecutors will ask for him to serve five years in state prison.

I am so happy for them and was my pleasure to help.
In 2006 Goncalves logged into the Go Daddy account that held P2P.com domain name and then transferred it to his own Go Daddy account. Go Daddy logs showed that the same IP address was used to log in to both the P2P.com account to transfer out the domain and to Goncalves’ account to receive the domain name.

This is huge and welcome news for the domain name industry. Domain theft happens every day but rarely does anything come of it from a legal standpoint. Pinning down thieves across the world is very difficult.

More info: New Jersey Attorney General

Domain Summit 2024

gawnd

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is great news. But what about when the thief is from a country other than the United States. I'm afraid we're still a long way from international cooperation for crimes like this.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh ya this is just a step, finally a real punishment but it took years and big legal funds.

Also while helping this couple we discovered a LL.com he stole, got that back to the rightful owner as well. This kid went as far as setting up free phone#s to appear to be the rightful owner. When I called him and he had a jersey accent I laughed pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom