Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Rick's most recent hand-registrations

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
Rick Schwartz was a big player at the start of the century. However he seems to have dropped the ball a lot of times - most notably either falling for, or trying to create, .mobi hype with a stupid 200k acquisition of flowers.mobi. There are still people who revere him but from what I've seen over the years he's just flamboyant, loud mouthed, and a bit rude (or perhaps a 'character'?) and made money at a time when the industry was more ripe (like many of us). However as you can see from his recent acquisitions he appears to have become another run-of-the-mill domainer. What worked a decade ago doesn't work now and he's not the only one looking for a new niche but unable to continue doing the same. I think the difference is he will have a moan when the market doesn't do what he wants whereas many of us realise the market doesn't care about individuals in an industry where people usually have a 10 year business life expectancy. (think netscape, myspace, yahoo search)

ravdn

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good analogy but there are industries > 10 year business life expectancy. (Google, etc)

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He's a well known and a successful domain investors.

Reaction score
Good analogy but there are industries > 10 year business life expectancy. (Google, etc)

Yeah that's why I said 'usually'. There are far more companies that started in the industry, were big, didn't diversify, and then unceremoniously disappeared overnight than companies that have been successful. You'll notice that ebay, paypal, google etc are not now doing what they were originally doing as is the way to stay as long as you can in the business. With the speed technology is advancing diversify or die... I think that refers to Rick as well as a lot of other 'old time' domainers.

Together

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He's a dick, try dealing with him.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread got bumped.

I'm surprised to see that all 3 names are still owned by Rick. However, none of them are reachable. I would think that they would redirect or give some indication of what they are used for 3 years later.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are still people who revere him but from what I've seen over the years he's just flamboyant, loud mouthed, and a bit rude.

He makes no beefs about that, in fact he goes out of his way to be so.

Personally that is one of the reasons I follow him, he tells it like it is in a very colorful way, its never boring when you read his articles and they always entertain.

All that aside, the man knows how to sell, he has shown time and time again that he is a consummate salesman.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that all 3 names are still owned by Rick.
Something can certainly be made with "translatorproject", but the other two seem pretty unusable, especially years after the event (IMHO it was already sh!tty names to start with and domains probably registered for the wrong reasons)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators