Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Ridiculous... who registers these domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking at some drop lists:

Howoldisdollyparton.com

Mumsreturningtowork.com

Who registers these domains? Why?

lol

Register for the auction

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:undecided: the dollyparton name is mine

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rawfoodsarebest.com
Psp-jailbreak.net
Prospectchinesesschool.com
Mycatsretirement.com
Musicdownlod.info
Monymonyyoucantcount.com
Miami-sushi.com
Miami2anchorage.com

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming at least some of these have some personal/sentimental value. I had a domain up for a year, which was a sentence about 45 characters long, redirected to a picture that served as an inside joke between me and a buddy.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looking at some drop lists:

Howoldisdollyparton.com

Mumsreturningtowork.com

Who registers these domains? Why?

lol

everyone who regs a domain is not a domainer

therefore, there can be no logical reasoning as to "why", from our point of view.

we reg names for many different reasons compared to the average joe.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What makes me wonder are some of the domains bought by domainers, and even listed for sale publically. Some are so bad. I have a few too and I try to at least hide that fact. :)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
everyone who regs a domain is not a domainer

therefore, there can be no logical reasoning as to "why", from our point of view.

we reg names for many different reasons compared to the average joe.

I agree. However, some of these domains are commercial or keyword based. Not sure why someone would register a typo like musicdownlod.info or a product domain like Psp-jailbreak.net.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The worst is when scouring the droplists you see a whole sequence of meaningless domains like 301-Mumsreturningtowork.com 302-Mumsreturningtowork.com 303-Mumsreturningtowork.com 555-Mumsreturningtowork.com etc. I mean hundreds of names like that :eek:

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
who registers these domains?

Total idiots. That's who.

A big plague that plagues this world is there are a lot of incredibly stupid people walking around.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why is this junk?

The list I posted are even worse than junk imo.

Miami-Sushi.com... hmmm, name of a city, specialty dish, don't forget to add a hyphen, voila! An unmarketable unimaginative domain with a very, very low target market, that ended up being dropped. Waste of time and money, waste of bandwidth? You decide.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. However, some of these domains are commercial or keyword based. Not sure why someone would register a typo like musicdownlod.info or a product domain like Psp-jailbreak.net.

the domains only "seem" like they are commercial or keyword based, because again, you are seeing them from a domainers viewpoint.

the people who regged them probably just included plain language, without considering the "commercial viability" or "keyword richness".

i think the only real truth you can derive from analyzing these names, is that it validates you are a domainer.

you can't help thinking like one and are now officially "caught-up" in the mindset!

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wise words Don, but bad taste it still bad taste :eek:k:

Hurley4540

Hurley4540.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The worst is when scouring the droplists you see a whole sequence of meaningless domains like 301-Mumsreturningtowork.com 302-Mumsreturningtowork.com 303-Mumsreturningtowork.com 555-Mumsreturningtowork.com etc. I mean hundreds of names like that :eek:

:eek: is right...... :eek:

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Total idiots. That's who.

A big plague that plagues this world is there are a lot of incredibly stupid people walking around.

Correct. And my mission is to find a moral & ethical way to take advantage of that fact.

:madgrin:

netpro801

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, domainers are not the only ones that register domains.

I would say about 75% of these questionable 1-2 year reg's are picked up by two different groups.

1. SEO/SEM companies/professionals for experimental purposes. Usually to test boarderline and sometimes not so "white hat" techniques.

2. Spammers or legitimate companies to spam - most of us know what spammers do and what they are capable of.

It is because of these two reasons, if your not experienced and don't know what to look for, you could potentially pick-up a name that has either been:

- banned or blacklisted from google and/or other search engines.

Or

- listed as spam at spamcop and others. This usually affects email but can also effect search engine rankings depending on the type of spam.

But, yes, that does still leave quite a few out there for those that think they have "scored" a valuable name and expect to sell it for 10k+ at DNF.

Not sure if this tickles your curiosity but here you go...

Thanks!

Juan
Aka NetPro801

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very good points! If one is buying a drop to dev, this should be considered.
Of course if it has natural typein traffic then that would have value in any case.

As mentioned earlier, domainers are not the only ones that register domains.

I would say about 75% of these questionable 1-2 year reg's are picked up by two different groups.

1. SEO/SEM companies/professionals for experimental purposes. Usually to test boarderline and sometimes not so "white hat" techniques.

2. Spammers or legitimate companies to spam - most of us know what spammers do and what they are capable of.

It is because of these two reasons, if your not experienced and don't know what to look for, you could potentially pick-up a name that has either been:

- banned or blacklisted from google and/or other search engines.

Or

- listed as spam at spamcop and others. This usually affects email but can also effect search engine rankings depending on the type of spam.

But, yes, that does still leave quite a few out there for those that think they have "scored" a valuable name and expect to sell it for 10k+ at DNF.

Not sure if this tickles your curiosity but here you go...

Thanks!

Juan
Aka NetPro801

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom