Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Rule against posting dropping names *before* drop time ?

Should a rule be established that forbids to post dropping names *before* drop time ?

• yes

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • no

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

this is the suggestion i posted in the suggestion section; as a mod has already denied to establish such a rule, i thought it might be a good idea to post a poll.

Here is the suggestion:

"Hi,

could the mods PLEASE establish a rule that forbids posting expiring and/or dropping names before drop time, in other words not before the name has been catched by whoever?!

Recently some people have been posting names that are about to drop *before* drop time in the expired section; mostly very valuable names.

I think it's clear that posting these names before they actually drop is sheer stupidity, seems to happen just out of show-off reasons and is in contrary what this board is meant for - to help each other.

All it does is raising the bids at NW and such, making it just more expensive and difficult for everyone to go after these names.
This way it doesn't help the members in any way.

I guess most would agree if you're in the drop game in any thinkable manner, it's your own job to find those names, know about them etc. - most that go after dropped names know about them anyway BUT:

That doesn't mean it makes no difference if a name is posted in advance or not - it makes a difference as you can see at the WOW THAT HIGH?- bids at NW everybody is sooo surprised about. :rolleyes:

Exactly because it's your OWN job to find the names on your own, posting these names doesn't even help the newbies - posting *how to know* about those names would be something that might help newbies, but just posting the names without giving out the knowhow is just plain stupid.

So i think in the long run it's

a) everybody's own burden how to get to know about which names are about to drop and when

b) in everyone's interest if names are *NOT* posted before they drop.

Nothing against posting names that *HAVE* dropped already and are available for registration.

But thats a different thing.

Maybe the mods can at least post a poll regarding this issue?

Thanks."

So - do you think a rule that forbids posting names before they have dropped should be established ?

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This would be like a rule preventing people from buying a lottery ticket before the draw!
Domain Registration (for the good names anyway) is nothing more than a lottery these days.
There isn't any guarantee you will get the names even if no-one posts them!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devolution

True, but also true that in reality posting these names makes it more expensive and more difficult for everyone.

And not even educates or gives knowhow to the newbies.

Fact.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My "NO" for it

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devolution
This would be like a rule preventing people from buying a lottery ticket before the draw!
Domain Registration (for the good names anyway) is nothing more than a lottery these days.

Err. Your logic is false. It is false at least for nw. Besides some people, especially one of the mods, is posting even mediocre names here.

SAF

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fact ... the big players in the drop game and the big bidders on namewinner don't come to this forun to find out the names that are dropping.

Shaun

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to vote no onthis Beatz, The logic is this..you are claiming it hurts...when in reality it HELPS the domain aftermarket..

If prices (bidding)are rising then it means that the interest level and competition level is rising and those higher bids should translate into higher bids for most "good" domains in all the after market including those we take to DNF auction.

The idea that with more people bidding is "hurting" is contray to the very nature of a free market.

Is it upsetting if you have a high bid and someone comes along and bids higher.. yep it sure is.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with beatz. Its rather frustrating to see someone post a domain that you've been watching for a longtime, then to see the bids skyrocket as a result to that posting. I've seen it happen many times.

I think people that disagree with this suggested rule should think about something.

If your watching a domain and really want it, then all of a sudden, somebody comes along and posts that domain in the forum. How would you feel?.

RMF

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RMF

If your watching a domain and really want it, then all of a sudden, somebody comes along and posts that domain in the forum. How would you feel?.

RMF

Sometime You win sometime You lose! And you will find better one!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The point is, it's not about the skyrocketing at NW and such ONLY.

There are other ways to catch names than dropservices, see Buydomains and YunYee et al.

So it's about moneypower AND knowledge of course.

Sure most pro's know about the names in advance, but even for them it's getting more difficult not only because of money but because many more potential competitors now, also because of these kind of postings.

Don't forget, to know about which name is about to drop when is one *essential* part of the drop game.

As we're all competitors in that sense, i think to post these names doesn't help ANY of us.

I think, the motive of the ones that post these names must be kinda like "I won't get this name anyway so at least i show the world i knew about it" - senseless showoff.

As remarkable enough, most of these post are *not* done by the people getting these kind of names but only by people that seem to be not taking an active part in the drop game anyway.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should we also tell people not to appraise domains low so the owners don't get mad? Just wondering.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats true. Once the big guys see the post, they will use any other methods to get the domain, but with Namewinner, we can really see the affect of the posting.

I think your comment is dead on.
"I think, the motive of the ones that post these names must be knda like "I won't get this name anyway so at least show the world i knew about it" - senseless showoff. "

RMF

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Should we also tell people not to appraise domains low so the owners don't get mad? Just wondering."

Uh ?

What does this have to do with this poll?

The point is, as this board has of a lot of people that go after drops it's difficult enough ALREADY for everyone as we are all competitors in that sense.

How much sense does it make to make life even more difficult or to erase the chances to get a good name WITHOUT outrageous high bids or similar but reducing the game to who got the most cash as with these kind of postings it's ONLY a matter of cash now more or less ?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNForum is for discussing domains .. yes, expiring domains too believe it or not.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains:

Posting names that drop before droptime is not discussing it.

It's just that: posting the names.

Lemme put this issue into a simple question:

WHAT SENSE does it make to post these names?

What's the purpose?

Let me know.

I say: It's fully against the interests of all us that go after drops.

Afterall, this is a board FOR domainers, not AGAINST them.

I thought.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beatz,

what happened to your post that says you started a "poll" (this poll) because you wanted the "members" to decide ? ;)

Looks like the poll is 3 -1 against banning drop information,
can you live with that democratic decision?

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the poll now stands @ 4 for the rule...
13 against a rule.

;-)

to the 4 "yes's". it's public information.
it's a public discussion.
*shrug*

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think they should only be posted/discussed in the private platinum forum.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoobar
I think they should only be posted/discussed in the private platinum forum.

That would be acceptable, at least the "shared" information would be with paying DNF members, another "perk"

What would you think of that Beatz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom