Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Rule against posting dropping names *before* drop time ?

Should a rule be established that forbids to post dropping names *before* drop time ?

• yes

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • no

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think whether you AGREE or DON'T AGREE with the practice, is IRRELEVANT. You can argue back and forth until you are blue in the face on whether this particular situation is helpful or detrimental. We can all agree that it certainly depends on who you are (as someone pointed out in another thread).

If a "rule" was in place that FOREBID such knowledge from being posted, then certain discussions may concievably be "off limits" as well. Suddenly a very familiar word rears its ugly head... CENSORSHIP.

There are websites all over the place that make this information available, other forums for people to post to, whether you or I like it or not.

I would cast my vote against this arbitrary bid for "censorship" of this messageboard. Unless it involves the practice of some form of criminal behavior or slander, people should be free to post what they wish to. Sometimes the price of freedom kind of stinks, but consider the alternative when it swings out of your favor.

If every potentially "proprietary" or "sensitive" bit of information was censored from this board (because really, where does it end), I'm sure people would find somewhere else to post it rather than having to second guess themselves every other post. I certainly wouldn't feel very welcome.

~ Nexus

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
geeze ... maybe the guys that sell drop lists shouldn't be allowed to, as it gives those that buy them an unfair advantage over those that don't have them or even know they exist!

I think beatz you are totally off base with this request!

Shaun

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think so.

At least buyer of drop lists *BUY* them.

As said, look at NW for the affect these postings have.

It's OBVIOUS.

Btw - so why not posting entire lists from exody or elsewhere?
As "There are websites all over the place that make this information available" anyway, so posting entire lists would just be posting information that is accessible "everywhere" anyway, right ?

As said, the problem is not posting names that have expired/dropped in general.

It's posting dropping names *before* drop time that haven't yet become available for registration.

Funny, so far no one seems to have been able to answer my simple question of what sense it actually makes to post these names.

No surprise here.

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not need anyone to tell me when domains will drop or what domains are droping - and I refuse to let anyone tell me not to tell anyone else about them.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it sad that people even need to debate this.

There is no benefit to people on this forum to post the info ahead of time, unless you work for Namewinner (or someone like Namewinner). What is wrong with waiting until 11:30 to post the same info? There should be no need for a rule on this. It is just simple good manners.

The censorship issue is totally a red herring.

And talking things up on this forum will not help the market with respect to end users.

Make it so that there is no need for the rule: Don't post about names before they drop. I know that such posts hurt my strategy, which does include Namewinner.

If you think it is cool that someone is bidding $5,000 for Bill Gates.com, then please share it with us, if it makes you feel better. After all, we all enjoyed show-and-tell in kindergarten. But, please share after 11 am on the day that the name drops. Thanks.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
Funny, so far no one seems to have been able to answer my simple question of what sense it actually makes to post these names.

No surprise here.

The same can be said of about 90% of what is posted on this board, but that's why it's called a forum.

Shaun

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

That would be acceptable, at least the "shared" information would be with paying DNF members, another "perk"

What would you think of that Beatz?

I know you asked Beatz, but I am going to answer anyway. Still a bad idea. The people on the Platinum board should have more sense that posting names before the drop is just childish and rude.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive

The same can be said of about 90% of what is posted on this board, but that's why it's called a forum.

Shaun

Yes, but there is no "anything goes" rule at DNF. There are already restrictions, and appropriate ones, on what cannot be posted.

So, let's make it real simple: No need for a rule, just be polite and don't do anything that others are complaining hurts them.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hiOsilver

I know you asked Beatz, but I am going to answer anyway. Still a bad idea. The people on the Platinum board should have more sense that posting names before the drop is just childish and rude.

Whats childish and rude are domain buyers who lose a bid and namewinner then whine about it.. like it's everyone elses fault that they didnt open their wallet a bit more.. :razz:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your *SIMPLE* question:
What sense does it make to post these names?
MY ANSWER: None.

I'm trying not to come off like a jerk, but this is my point of view...

It really doesn't matter that it doesn't "make sense" to ME. Someone else posts lists of "Unexpected Drops" on another messageboard. When asked, he related that he was gaging interest in a new service he may offer, and felt that in the meantime he would post these lists if people found them useful. Makes sense to HIM I would guess. I find no urge to "make sense" of it myself, and honestly, I don't think you really care that it "makes sense" or not either. It would be an argument over opinion and perspective with whoever it "made sense" for.

You don't like it, it effects your business, and you want it stopped. Everything else is a pretense for that to happen. Right now, everything in my post is a pretense for getting people to "let this issue go". I don't think this argument gets anywhere.

Clearly there are MORE people who want to see the lists than those who already KNOW what they'd like, and would rather less competition. Lessening that competition would involve censoring someone, so its even less likely to happen without a majority of support.

I personally don't care either way, although occasionally I look through these posts if I have extra time on my hands. I definitely DO cringe when I see a list that has a name I've already had designs on, but that seems to rarely happen. If it did, I personally would hang-on tight and sure up my options. NW isn't the end all be-all to snapping names.

If you think about it, if the decision about WLS is sustained, this will all pretty much be a moot point.

~ Nexus

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The people who are going to get hurt the most are presumably the people who end up overbidding on the names, unless they are able to make a profit from them despite paying inflated prices.

In the long term, it means that those who have the best business practices regarding prices they are willing to pay etc. will succeed, so no big deal.

If someone posts that disks.com is going to drop in 5 days, it's not going to affect my chances of getting it :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can understand being frustrated when a name you've secretly been bidding on is revealed by another member by his/her mentioning that it will drop soon, but you do not have a monopoly on that name. People come here for information, and there is no way the forum is going to establish a rule to censor the posting of expiring domain names, just to save you a few bucks on Namewinner. It's a self-serving request, and in no way benefits the community.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WHAT SENSE does it make to post these names?

What's the purpose?

For a laugh? motherboard.com $27k :rolleyes:

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains
It's a self-serving request, and in no way benefits the community.

So please explain how the posting of these names benefits the community then?

The way i see it it only hurts the community, at least partially.

Maybe hiOsilver has put it best:

No need for a rule, just be polite and don't do anything that others are complaining hurts them.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
** NO **

The only way to cast my vote since I'm not a plat. member...

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK - so I can not post the info on dnF - but can I post the info elswhere?

As if I needed anyones "permision" :)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
beatz, you've flipped it. GD said that YOUR REQUEST does not benefit the community, if it DID, then you should state how it does so (not the other way around).

The way i see it it only hurts the community, at least partially.
Your qualification of "at least partially" shows that you are aware of what I'm getting at (even if you shy away from admitting it). It really stinks, but its true. I can see how it "harms" some interests, but look at the poll results... MOST people do not agree that it "harms" them at all.

I'll take a stab at verbalizing how it may benefit OTHERS in the community:

"Not ALL the names on these lists are ones you were bidding on. MANY of the names are ones interested parties would not have known about if not for someone posting the list."

Now, I can see you might be ready to switch the argument to another tact like: "But where do the lists come from? Isn't it hurting the people they were stolen from?" You have to deal with the question at hand before moving on (only to come back to this question again later). Does the statement above show you how it might benefit the community? If YES, then you don't have to ask again.

If NO, here is another way: "Some 'newbies' may not know what dropped names are, and seeing a list of so many might open them up to a whole new perspective on domain names." That is a benefit to the community, though not to yourself. There are many more (on and on), but they are not from your perspective as someone who obviously spends a great deal of time and resources procurring your own information.

If you think about it this way, there are players in this game that would think this entire forum is a MONUMENTAL detriment to their business. Why? Because instead of being able to be more relaxed about picking up certain names, they have to realize that almost all names of any value are being hunted by an ever growing number of domain resellers thanks to forums like this. Put that on a smaller level, and you have your argument.

hiOsilver's statement is relative to who is reading it. Be honest, read this line: "Don't do anything that others are complaining hurts them." This is ultimately impossible, though a very cmmendable and idealistic comment. Oprah says, "I don't like eating meat" and suddenly she's being sued by the meat industry (who have clearly been hurt by her otherwise benign statements). I could about post updates to a new and cheap piece of software that levels the playing field for everyone here. Benefit to the community, or will people be dissappointed by the glut of competition?

That's the best I can say about this I guess.

~ Nexus

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"at least partially" was meant in terms of "hurts those in the community that for real go for drops".

As for poll results - uh isnt it a bit early for that?

I would not think 25 votes represents a community with 1k+ members.

So i'd say lets wait a while :)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to know why people think its a good idea to post domains that are going to drop.

Also, if you plan on going after a domain, or believe that you have a "chance" at getting the domain, would you still post that domain before it drops?. I doubt it.

RMF

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains
It's a self-serving request, and in no way benefits the community.

Agreed. There are many other drop catching services besides Namewinner, and what is clearly apparent - big gamers like Ultsearch and Buydomains have already cued into the good names with their own RRPs a long time ago.

Maybe some of us here in this little community with shallow pockets can benefit from such information. There is such a thing called luck you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom