Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Scientist: Global warming could melt ice caps, eliminate half of Earth's species

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H2FC

"rising ocean levels would inundate Florida, most of Louisiana and much of the East Coast"

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/2007-01-11-hansen-warming_x.htm?csp=34

"There's nothing that has caused more damage to our society, to our health, to our politics, to our values as Americans, to every single thing we value in this world than petroleum. Whatever you can name as second is so far behind it's not even worth mentioning"

http://gristmill.grist.org/print/2007/1/8/115541/4016?show_comments=no

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The future effects of global warming will be highly consequential, far reaching, and potentially catastrophic.

And the tide will be difficult to turn until viable alternatives to fossil fuels are realized.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nonesense.

George Bush has done far more damage to American citizens, the world economy, world relations, and the environment, hands down. Global warming, in reality, hasn't even been noticed except by those who were sounding the alarm for a coming ice age a couple of years ago.

"There's nothing that has caused more damage to our society, to our health, to our politics, to our values as Americans, to every single thing we value in this world than petroleum. Whatever you can name as second is so far behind it's not even worth mentioning"

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since we've checked the 'Global Warming' headlines, so let's see what we have this morning. Oh here, we go, Copely News Service:

RECORD COLD GRIPS WEST

The record cold that has gripped the West may have destroyed three-quarters of California's citrus crop, and some of the region's growers say it is the worst freeze they have experienced in nearly half a century.

Yes, we may lose a lot of plants and animals, from the COOLING planet, it seems. I hope those little "global warming" hybrid cars come with snow tires, chains, and engine heaters!

Let's check with our friends for a mid-January update on the global warming heat wave in Canada, at Whistler.com:

ALL TIME SNOWFALL RECORD

28 feet of snowfall so far this season

Oh my God! The world is in a deep freeze!

The fairy tale of "Global Warming" can now join the history books along with other once popular theories such as 'the world is flat' and 'the moon is made of cheese'.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
why is it called "Warming" if its getting freezier? :uhoh:

thanks!

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The moon ISN'T made of cheese!!!???

Man... this thread IS depressing :(

GoPC

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aintcha sick of 'global warming'? How about global terrorism and global starvation within the poorer countries? How about a new thread on global redistribution of wealth?

It can get a lot warmer here in the UK before I give a toss.

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fairy tale of "Global Warming" can now join the history books along with other once popular theories such as 'the world is flat' and 'the moon is made of cheese'.

Sure, its better to take a drive with your Hummer...
Brains are full of cheese too :D

From 20minutes.fr, Google Translate (too lazy). You might :idea: get the whole picture :

"...Europe knew the hottest autumn since tens even of the hundreds of years. This softness puts in danger the beginning of season of the winter sports in the Alps and starts again the debate on the climatic reheating.

To the Netherlands, the weather royal Institute indicated that the autumn 2006 was hottest that the country has known for three centuries, with an average temperature of 13,5 degrees Celsius.

The institute takes again the assumption of the climatic reheating of planet, but announces also the influence of the wind of the south which blew more than usually on the country after a summer already particularly hot. In the center of Great Britain, the autumnal temperatures were never seen since the beginning in 1659 of the recording of the weather data, that is to say the oldest register in Europe.

The average temperature estimated for this year is 12,6 degrees Celsius, the preceding record with 11,8 degrees going back to 1730 and 1731. In Austria also, the autumn 2006 hottest is ever recorded with temperatures from 1,5 to 2,5 degrees higher than the average. In Germany, the recorded autumnal temperatures this year are highest since 1901, with an average of 12 degrees between September and November, is 3 to 4 degrees more than the average of the statements since the beginning of the XXème century.

France is not in remainder: this autumn beats all the records recorded since 1950. According to Patrick Galois, forecaster with Météo France, the softness which extends on all Europe is explained by the presence of an anticyclone on the Central Europe or of the East and by winds blowing of the south or west. “It is necessary to go to Siberia or Lapland to find temperatures negative”, underlines it. Thus, in Moscow, it makes between 2 and 5 degrees, which is completely unusual at one period when, generally, the thermometer largely fell in lower part from zero.

Season of the winter sports compromised Météo France envisages a continuation of softness, “but with more reasonable temperatures, about 10 degrees in the next days and with falls of snow on medium mountains”. There will be “perhaps” snow with Christmas, known as the meteorologist, whereas the beginning of season of the winter sports appears compromised in the Alps. Thus, in Switzerland, where the autumn is hottest since 1864, and where it is necessary to go up to more than 2.500 meters of altitude to find temperatures negative, several winter sports resorts had to defer their date of opening for lack of snow.

Idem in the Austrian Alps, where there is no snow in lower part of 2.000 meters altitude, whereas in Vienna the rose trees are in flowers. In Germany, heat delays the entry in hibernation of the bats, and the migratory birds do not consider their departure towards the south. In Poland, in fact the heathers took again their flowering in wood around Warsaw.

In Sweden and Finland, the bears gave up beginning their hibernation, whereas the capital of Norway, Oslo, remains hopelessly private of snow. The autumn also beats records in the south of Europe, with in particular 26 degrees Celsius on the beach of Valence, in the east of Spain, and 16 degrees on November 30 in Milan in the north of Italy, of ever seen since the beginning of the XXème century. Portugal records records of heat going back to 40 years. Only Greece, where an autumnal temperature of 15 degrees Celsius is in the standard at this season, does not announce any record of heat..."

Source :
http://www.20minutes.fr/articles/2006/12/05/20061205-Environnement-Records-de-chaleur-en-Europe.php

Added, might worth a read :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah! Keep the dream alive!!!

I didn't realize eveyone drove hummers... thanks for the info.

Cheese Brain

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Save me a puff...

H

H2FC

Save me a puff...

I'm afraid I'll need more than a puff to misunderstand the global warming threat the way some of these guys do. Apparently it doesn't do any good at all to try to educate the naysayers. Some of them, (like juniper for instance) look out their window and think the whole world is the same climate as their own back yard. I don't believe the "global" part of the threat means anything to them...they don't seem to understand it. They insist on judging the world's climate by what is happening in their own little corner of the world.

Try to explain to them about the global greenhouse effect caused by too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and they willl tell you that carbon dioxide is a good thing and the more we have, the better off we are. Or try to explain that global warming causes havoc with the El Nino which in turn causes either more hotter or more colder, wetter or dryer, or more or less hurricanes in any given year and they call it "junk science" . All of this is reported by and testified to by 99% of the reputable climate scientists in the world. Now, I don't know about everybody else, but that's good enough for me to believe.

Our own government here in the USA (yea, thats right, Bush himself) is now getting on board the global warming train. You can expect a major change on how he feels about the threat in his upcoming state of the union speach, or whatever he calls it. Of course he will try in every way he can to take credit for the weak meager effort he has shown fighting global warming so far. He will try to make it look like he has been against it all along and he has done everything he can to fight it. Don't be fooled by that...he has been a skeptic since day one...even when he knew he was wrong.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... Some of them, (like juniper for instance) look out their window and think the whole world is the same climate as their own back yard....

Someone need to brush up on teir geography. How can Canada, California, and Florida (the headlines I've quoted) All me my "own back yard"?

Try to explain to them about the global greenhouse effect caused by too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and they willl tell you that carbon dioxide is a good thing and the more we have, the better off we are.

Elementary school biology: Plants CONSUME carbon dioxide, and convert it to OXYGEN. Reduce carbon dioxide and all plant life (and oxygen production stops). So yes, carbon dioxide "is a good thing" and was here long before humans.

Or try to explain that global warming causes havoc with the El Nino which in turn causes either more hotter or more colder, wetter or dryer, or more or wrong.

During the last STRONG El Nino in the 1990's we still had hurricanes; therefore, we can conclude that the current WEAK El Nino cannot explain the lack of hurricanes in 2006.

This weekend will be a gather of Global Warmist on the beach in Florida, watching the crisp, clear horizon for and sign the 1st hurricane of 2006 so they can once again point at it and shout 'Look! Proof of Global warming!'. Many can't accept that the entire season has passed, or that Mother Nature has dealt them and their cause a cruel blow with not just cold tempurates, but RECORD COLD temperatures to the very people they hoped to convice. There will be many tears.

nubhost

Level 4
Reaction score
why is it called "Warming" if its getting freezier? :uhoh:

thanks!
my understanding is that it disrupts the band of undersea ocean water, that normally brings cold water to warm areas and warm water to cold areas, which makes the cold areas stay cold and warm areas stay warm. this disruption is caused by the introduction of fresh water into this "convayor belt" which stops the warm water from falling.

H

H2FC

Someone need to brush up on teir geography. How can Canada, California, and Florida (the headlines I've quoted) All me my "own back yard"?

Elementary school biology: Plants CONSUME carbon dioxide, and convert it to OXYGEN. Reduce carbon dioxide and all plant life (and oxygen production stops). So yes, carbon dioxide "is a good thing" and was here long before humans.

During the last STRONG El Nino in the 1990's we still had hurricanes; therefore, we can conclude that the current WEAK El Nino cannot explain the lack of hurricanes in 2006.

This weekend will be a gather of Global Warmist on the beach in Florida, watching the crisp, clear horizon for and sign the 1st hurricane of 2006 so they can once again point at it and shout 'Look! Proof of Global warming!'. Many can't accept that the entire season has passed, or that Mother Nature has dealt them and their cause a cruel blow with not just cold tempurates, but RECORD COLD temperatures to the very people they hoped to convice. There will be many tears.

Hahaha....I rest my case...sometimes I can't help but wonder if I'm dealing with a retard or a 4 year old....

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about we do some tests, with the people that keep saying there is no global warming.

We chain them in a green house, and keep adding CO2 gas to the inside of it. And lets find out, if they die from burning up or if their lungs give out first from it. My money on, their lungs giving out and they die from it first. :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about we do some tests, with the people that keep saying there is no global warming.

We chain them in a green house, and keep adding CO2 gas to the inside of it. And lets find out, if they die from burning up or if their lungs give out first from it. My money on, their lungs giving out and they die from it first. :)

Did we not clear up this high school chemistry question last time you posted??

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is what you are exhaling right now. Your own home is "filling up with it" as you sit there and breath. Are you dying from it? Are you burining up? Of course not.

That's because you are confusing carbon monoxide (CO) with carbon dioxide (CO2). CO is poisonous, and often kills people because it is a byproduct of buring oil, such as unvented heaters or misdirected exhaust.

We are discussing CO2, not CO. PLEASE -- learn some basic chemistry so we don't have to review this again next week!

Hahaha....I rest my case...sometimes I can't help but wonder if I'm dealing with a retard or a 4 year old....

Bold words from a guy who PM'd me: "Both the lack of huricanes and the large number of hurricanes prove that there is global warming".

uh, yeah, ok.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What we need is a good old fashioned population-reducing war.

Dr.Ead

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What we need is a good old fashioned population-reducing war.
Isn't that already happening in today's world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators