Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Search Engine Vs Type-in

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is where we have different opinions.

How many good type in names are there ? Not any that you can register in a dot com.

They are all taken, so if you want one you have to buy it, and they are not for sale.

Not anything that is great anyway, if it is for sale you have to have mega bucks to get close even in todays down market.

Where as if a domain name is highly ranked on a search engine (top 50) or it is a natural search engine name hyphens and all it will be remembered, no matter what it is called.

As long as it reflects on the product or service that the searcher is seeking.

This is Deja' vu, i said this before someplace else.

So have many others before me, i just cant remermber who said what.

:eek:

:confused:

It all depends on your business model I guess.

The only people who ask me about type in traffic on domains they want to buy are resellers/traffic converters. In my experience, end users buy based on suitability for their product/service and vanity.

When you sell on vanity you can reap profits that you just wouldn't get from traffic conversion. But traffic conversion is a more consistent and predictable income than domain sales.

Combining the 2 covers all bases and maximises revenue.

Of course the problem with search engine type traffic is that it can all simply vanish over time, and then more and more engines seem to be displaying more paid listings so it will only get harder I would think..

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Paid listings are ok But.

Pay per click Sucks Big time, but what can you do, paying for search terms is the way it is going in the near future for all search engines.

Im not talking about traffic professionals, i'm talking about a business, if they want to be prominent with thier web site on a limited budjet they have no choice but to pay for position.

Even if they have the resources to buy a one word domain name that refelcts thier product they still have to brand it.

Have i run off the tracks here.

:)

M

MattyP

I try and sort out the reasoning for paid placements in search engines.

I just can't ever figure out how, let's say 10,000 web site designers around the planet all pay good money to make the top ten in listings.

It seems like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

eggbilly

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I have loads of top search engine positioins for many of my domain names and they've resulted in offers for the names - not necessarily big offers (not by my standards anyway) - but without the placement, they'd not be noticed.

You can buy this if you like: www.search-engine-tips.co.uk

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats my EGG.

He is an Eggspert SEO man no doudt about it.

M

MattyP

posted by eggbilly

Well, I have loads of top search engine positioins for many of my domain names and they've resulted in offers for the names - not necessarily big offers (not by my standards anyway) - but without the placement, they'd not be noticed.

You can buy this if you like: www.search-engine-tips.co.uk

Hi EggBilly

Are these top search engine positions paid for?

Americar hinted that you are an expert at se placement.

It would seem if there are more than a few, with your expertise around, getting their own sites listed high in the rankings, at no cost, it would make paying for placement even less appealing.

seo is a very valuable skill to have, but in many search engines - even getting to the top of the non paid fors will mean its listed below those people who simply pay for position.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No Search Engine = No Biz.

If a business is not on search engines then they have no business.

Thats all there is to it, and at the moment you can still achieve decent rankings for free on Google, AOl, Dmoz.

Anywhere else you have to pay to list, Altavista, inktomi, etc, not pay per click or ranking but to refresh your site 48 hours for inktomi and every 7 days for Altavista.

It is not an expensive excerise for a business, if you want to be listed everywhere then use a submission service if you cant do yourself.

Eggbilly has the know how and the E book to always get the top rankings on Google, and he uses nothing but hyphens and long URLs.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom