Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Search Engines Vs Domain Names

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domain summit 2024

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very interesting, thanks for the hint... :)

G

gbrott

I would disagree. Are you saying that www.sports-cars.com is no better than joeblow.com/sports-cars.html? not a chance.

google is trying to move away from it, but if you look at the listings you'll see that having the keywords in the actual domain is very helpful (especially if you have the dashes in there).

Having said that, it does help to also have the folders named your search terms as well...

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Only one out of the top 10 results for "sports cars" has those keywords in the actual domains.

Originally posted by sgopalam
Hi,

It is a common misconception that you must have the key words in the domain name to be search engine friendly. IT is not true.
All you need is have the key words in the URL.

SG
How on earth did you manage to come up with this fact?
A domain name with a keyword is much stronger than kws in the url.
I would have to say you are wrong.
There are more things to take into consideration, but where search engines are concerned google will bring you 75% of search engine traffic, and if you have a good domain name and a few other things your on your way.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Technically it is true that domain names may help.
But it is very over rated. Practically it's effect is negligible.

sgopalam

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dont want to get into an argument here, but the fact is that most of the google results do not show any strong correlations.

Maybe your not looking hard enough, or the owners of the domains dont know how to promote them properly.
You could say the opposite looking at other phrases.
Dont want to continue this, but if i had a single word domain name theres a 99% chance it could get top!

Simply having Keyword.com is NOT enough to get listed; but if you know the "tricks", with a good domain name OR even a tailor-made /directory_name, your web page could get to the top. There are quite some Google experts around :)

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
skintoe is right. However, you'd probably expect more type-in traffics from keyword domains. Other than that, it's seo when it comes to search engines.

sgo,

also, think about the people who are going to visit the site.

will they want a site with a domain that is descriptive and says exactly what they are selling, or some subdomain which looks very unprofessional?

faze
holla!

G

gbrott

It is a pointless argument, but I think everyone would agree that if you had 2 exact sites, but one having a "real" url would undoubtedly come up higher in google. They have a very complex algorithm, but it most definitely takes into account the keyword being in the url.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gbrott
They have a very complex algorithm, but it most definitely takes into account the keyword being in the url.

I agree with gbrott. Every bit counts. And yes, Google does take the URL into account in the algo last time I checked.

But more importantly, people often forget that the URL appears in the Google listing. So people who see that the URL mentions what they are looking for, will more probably click that link out of the hundreds and thousands that appear in any search. Duh, Human Behavior 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators