Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sedo Lying About Factcheck.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most certainly in the case Mr Berryhill cited where the owner did not list the name with Sedo, yes I see that as Sedo's eventual responsibility - especially when it is pointed out to them and they allegedly do nothing.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.W, and John (the best lawyer for our cause IMHO).
There is one thing left.

INNOCENT, until proven guilty.

Unless there is proof that can be NON disputed, I will be all ears for John.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
INNOCENT, until proven guilty

I agree. And having had several people conclude that I was dishonest about the name not being for sale, when those people had gone to SEDO and seen the false listing, I will direct those folks to you for explanations, and you can spend your workdays explaining it ad nauseum.

Sedo's failure to maintain the integrity of its database causes harm to other people. They have fixed the listing relative to factcheck.com. That leaves thousands of other domain names to check.

Negligence is not a matter of "innocence" or "guilt", it is a matter of acting responsibly.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
I will direct those folks to you for explanations, and you can spend your workdays explaining it ad nauseum..

John...

Why would you want to direct them to me???
I guess it is a linguistic error.
I dont want to spend my workdays explaining anything that I do not have to do.
See, I did not become an Attorney for many reasons. and this is one of the reasons.

In any case, innocent until proven guilty still stands.
At least in places were democracy and freedom still exist.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bramiozo said:
implying anything maybe ?

We are having a discussion here, and I dont know what you are implying.
as far as any imaginery implacations by me, I believe my sig answers any Q's you might have.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Negligence is not a matter of "innocence" or "guilt", it is a matter of acting responsibly.

I think its flat out reckless, Sedo's operation, the way it's currently setup.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to sadly agree with MH.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A million names for sale?

When Joseph Slabaugh of deleted.com asked them how many are actually parked there, they replied:
"Sorry, .. competitive information which I am not able to disclose. However, you can guesstimate: we have over a million domain names in our database (around 1.6 million actually), and a good portion of those are parked."

And, when I approached them about the problem, they told me that they couldn't allocate the resources to cleaning their database up. Here's the quote:
"Dear Jarred, ...I think you will appreciate that with over one million domains on our database, a robot informing us of the ownership on a daily or weekly basis is simply not a viable option."

They harvest names for sale, be it in one fashion or another, and then create problems for the owners later down the line. When I had it a few years ago, I would have lost my real estate license for advertising properties that the owner didn't authorise. Thats why there's a division of real estate just for title searches. My point is that sedo can do much better.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MH, 'we' are goind emabring on a witch hunt here.
Sedo has so many faults, and I point them out all the time.

This is not fair to them IMHO.
We are going too far.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I rarely point them out.
Just times like these, Alex.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree.

Let us officialy here the 'other' side

We should have an official reply within 24 hours.
Lets give them a chance.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
I realize it may come as a shock to you to learn that not everyone has a SEDO account, not everyone wants a SEDO account, nor does the rest of the world feel obligated to run thousands of domain names against SEDO's database in order to prevent SEDO from engaging in false advertising.

If SEDO wants to engage in that sort of illegality, then it is their decision. But finding a solution to the problem - such as time-limiting listings for a fixed period or until the current expiration date - is SEDO's burden. It is not up to every domain registrant on the planet to go open a SEDO account in order to make them honest.

...and it may come as a schock to YOU that i just wanted to HELP !!

(i guess tv cameras do change people !)

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John, I sent an email to the address in your signature yesterday morning. I'm not sure if you got it or not.

To shed a little light onto this: the domain was listed by me at Sedo when I owned it over a year ago. I failed to remove it because I stopped using Sedo and forgot about my listings. I removed the domain myself when I saw this thread.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so here was the answer :)
Just as many of us suspected.

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
We are having a discussion here, and I dont know what you are implying.
as far as any imaginery implacations by me, I believe my sig answers any Q's you might have.

It was a normal question to which either a no or a yes would have sufficed, since the answer was no, I can withdraw my prejudice ;) . You seemed to know what I was implying by reffering to your sig :), anywayz....ok sorry for my biased remark.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no problem Bramiozo. I buy/sell/develop domains, I am not into politics :)

So, it all came down to scenario #1 I had pointed out wayyyy back in this thread.
If you enter a domain at sedo's system, they dont remove it unless you do. That is common practice at many places. They sure can't and IMO arent expected to keep track of every domain they own once verified and entered into their system.

There was no fraud involved apparently.
a long thread for no substantial reason?

Bramiozo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With respect to Sedo:
It's obvious that controlling 1 million names manually is a painstaking event which will inevitably lead to misses, mistakes and misjudgements. If Sedo relies on users to update their accounts regularly then I advice them to pull out an awareness (publicity) campaign of some sort that signifies the importance of domain offers being valid. Maybe Sedo can introduce sanctions for those who consistently fail to update their accounts ?

I think the theory that Sedo would place names which are not in their possession gave this thread some extra momentum :) .

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sedo,

Sedo does not list any domain names for sale.
Domain owners list their domain names for sale at Sedo.
It is the responsibility of the domain owner to maintain his/her Sedo account up-to-date.
This is outlined in our terms of use.

At the time of a domain's listing, rigorous ownership checks are carried out to ensure the validity of the account holder's claim to ownership.
Once the domain is listed in a Sedo account, responsibility for continued ownership and the right to sell is that of the account holder.
If an account holder repeatedly fails to maintain his/her account, we reserve the right to suspend that account.

We encourage Sedo account holders to update their accounts.
In the event of expiration of a domain's registration, or of a sale, or of any other transfer of ownership, an account holder is responsible for the removal of that domain name from his/her Sedo account.
Many of our clients have large portfolios and it is often a simple oversight that a domain is not deleted.
If such a situation should arise, a simple email to Sedo is sufficient in ensuring the domain's timely deletion from our database.
Our administrative staff does not work weekends.
All requests/queries are processed on a rotational basis from Monday to Friday within working hours.

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Key Account Manager

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom