Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo offers $100,000 Reserve for Links.com on Great Domains Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today, Sedo approached me an offer to sell Links.com on a imminent Great Domains auction placing Links in auction with a $100,000 Reserve. I would like to hear dnforum member reaction to this proposal. Thank you.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Domain Summit 2024

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Devil,

Thanks for the reply. Would putting Links.com on auction with such short notice and such a low reserve be a good idea? I am trying to figure out what Sedo had in mind.

In any case, Links.com is not for sale.

Rich

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear dnforum member reaction to this proposal.

We couldn't react to this proposal unless we owned links.com.

In any case, Links.com is not for sale.
P.S. I am launching a new site on Links.com probably this week.

This looks like a useless thread to me posted in the wrong section. You should post in the
Advertising and Related Offers if your goal is promotion.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since you are not selling the domain, simply disregard the proposal.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What they have in mind is having a great name at a great price on a shitty auction just to make $10,000 for doing next to nothing. Auctions, for the most part, have been doing poorly of late. It's mostly other domainers looking for a steal. The money is with end users, as you well know.

Do you REALLY want to sell for $90K? (your $$ after commission)? Heck I may even consider buying for that price!

Yes. I am really confused. I thought Sedo was one of the more upright and trustworthy companies around. This offer seems poorly conceived and definitely not in the seller's interest at all. I don't know what to think about Sedo at this time.

Rich

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Since you are not selling the domain, simply disregard the proposal.

Yes, I am disregarding the proposal but I was seriously thinking of possibly using Sedo in the future. Does their approach seem reasonable from any perspective?

Rich

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This looks like a useless thread to me posted in the wrong section. You should post in the
Advertising and Related Offers if your goal is promotion.

they would have to Upgrade first! :)

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they would have to Upgrade first! :)

Not really interested in upgrading (whatever that means) or promotion. Just interested in what may be behind this rather confusing offer by Sedo. It just makes no sense to me other than they are trying to sell it for as cheap as possible for some buyer. Doesn't seem like it is in my best interest in any way shape or fashion. Can someone see some benefit to me as the seller? Maybe I am missing something?

Rich

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not really interested in upgrading (whatever that means) or promotion. Just interested in what may be behind this rather confusing offer by Sedo. It just makes no sense to me other than they are trying to sell it for as cheap as possible for some buyer. Doesn't seem like it is in my best interest in any way shape or fashion. Can someone see some benefit to me as the seller? Maybe I am missing something?

Rich

you are not missing anything, except an opportunity to sell your domain, for less than you think it's worth.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you are not missing anything, except an opportunity to sell your domain, for less than you think it's worth.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reasonable explanation for this offer? It seems very peculiar. I was really hoping to use Sedo in the future. This puts a tremendous damper on the possibility. Are there other brokers that I can look to that are on the side of the seller? Do I have to do it on my own?

Thanks for providing me your perspective.

Rich

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is there a reasonable explanation for this offer? It seems very peculiar. I was really hoping to use Sedo in the future. This puts a tremendous damper on the possibility. Are there other brokers that I can look to that are on the side of the seller? Do I have to do it on my own?

Thanks for providing me your perspective.

Rich

The only thing peculiar is this thread. You haven't said anything that Sedo has said that sounds peculiar. This thread makes as much sense as all the appraisal threads for links.com that you've started over the years.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rich not trying to be funny but do you really think $100,000 reserve is good??? you started this thread like you didn't know if it was a good deal or not.... now you are acting like you are being robbed?

What do you think your domain is worth??? maybe a link to your thread history going back a few years might help you... you should read them again I'm sure your answer is in there.

http://www.dnforum.com/search.php?searchid=467447

Good Luck with your name its a great one!!!! :yo: worth much more than $100,000

JMO

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think of those paper links youd make in preschool during christmas, red and green alternating.. using that white glue :)

That or a typo of lynx lol

Either way $100k is a huge number in todays market, youd be so lucky.

FogFever

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To the OP:

Sedo makes a commission when the domain sells in an auction.
The lower the reserve price, the higher chance that the domain will sell.

Therefore, a lower reserve price is better for Sedo.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo approached you?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

The only thing peculiar is this thread. You haven't said anything that Sedo has said that sounds peculiar. This thread makes as much sense as all the appraisal threads for links.com that you've started over the years.

OK/ Thanks. It seems like a peculiar way to try to sell a premium domain. That's all.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Rich not trying to be funny but do you really think $100,000 reserve is good??? you started this thread like you didn't know if it was a good deal or not.... now you are acting like you are being robbed?

What do you think your domain is worth??? maybe a link to your thread history going back a few years might help you... you should read them again I'm sure your answer is in there.

http://www.dnforum.com/search.php?searchid=467447

Good Luck with your name its a great one!!!! :yo: worth much more than $100,000
JMO

Thanks. I am sort of surprised at the approach that Sedo took. And before I write them off totally for possible future assistance, I just wanted some feedback. It seems very weird that they would approach me right before an auction to sell this domain name with this kind of reserve. It doesn't seem like a reasonable approach.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

I think of those paper links youd make in preschool during christmas, red and green alternating.. using that white glue :)

That or a typo of lynx lol

Either way $100k is a huge number in todays market, youd be so lucky.

I am not sure whether 100k is appropriate or not in this market. I am more interested in the general approach that Sedo is taking. That is why I originally posted the question in a the General Discussion forum. Certainly there must be a better way to approach a sale of a domain like this other than just pulling some number from the sky and then throwing it on the market with a reserve. Am I crazy and Sedo is acting appropriately?

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

To the OP:

Sedo makes a commission when the domain sells in an auction.
The lower the reserve price, the higher chance that the domain will sell.

Therefore, a lower reserve price is better for Sedo.

OK. This makes sense to me. So Sedo is making to pretense at all of trying to get me the highest amount possible. They are just looking for a quick sale ... possibly to a buddy of theirs?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks all for your replies.

There seems to be some confusion about the reason I posted my question so I will try to clarify.

The question was originally posted in the General Discussion forum because I am not interested in any appraisal at this time. The domain is not up for sale. For a period of time a few weeks ago, I had it listed on Sedo without any reserve or asking price. It was just there. I have since taken it off Sedo.

Sedo is obviously involved with lots of premium domain transactions. Since I am not an insider, I have no idea whether or not they are reputable as a seller's broker. I just felt that they probably were. And because of their apparently good track record, I felt that they might be of assistance to me sometime in the future.

They approached me this morning with this rather strange proposal. Nothing made sense. The reserve, the auction, the timing, etc. Were they actually trying to make a good deal for me, as they suggested, or were they just trying to make a good deal for some buyer. I don't know. I am looking for reaction from professionals on this forum. If their proposal is as squirrelly as it seems the I will simply write them off as a future partner. It there are such things as a seller's broker who is dependable and trustworthy then I would be very interested.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Rich

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I submitted a five letter dot com - category killer domain for Sedo Premium Auction . They wrote to me that domain quality was acceptable. However they wanted me to lower the reserve price to $999 (yes , Nine Hundred Ninty Nine Dollars) !!!

I decided not to waste my time responding.

richrf

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I submitted a five letter dot com - category killer domain for Sedo Premium Auction . They wrote to me that domain quality was acceptable. However they wanted me to lower the reserve price to $999 (yes , Nine Hundred Ninty Nine Dollars) !!!

I decided not to waste my time responding.

Thanks for relating to me your experiences. I am afraid that Sedo may not be the broker that I thought it was.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom