Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sedo vs Namedrive vs anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Look guys, I need to gather some of your opinions about marketplaces.

What is my goal? To sell the domain to enduser. What am I doing with my domains? I redirect them to my website (there is a sort of landing page for each of domain). Example: www.ecam.org
Well, potential interested person type ecam.org and see my landing page, where he could choose either to make a direct offer (or just to send me a message) or he have a link to SEDO where he could make me an offer via SEDO. Why am I using Sedo? Cause I have many sales from people from Europe (including Germany), where people know what is Sedo.

Sedo fees sucks. So I'm think about something else. What do you think about NameDrive? Does it make sense to redirect potential buyers to "Make an offer" page at Namedrive, but not at Sedo?

How many of you sell domains thru Namedrive?
Or maybe any other platform is better?

I don't park domain at all, so I need only the marketplace that would be good in eyes of enduser.

So I need to redirect my endusers to some marketplace. Now the questions what should it be.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Nick

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've only sold 1 name thru nd (brokered) and that was in back in 04

currently, i direct inquiries to sedo so they can submit offers or buy at bin price.

and their fee is no higher than these other newcomers in the game, where many charge listing fee's, plus commission

but my advice would be to park the names and have 'this domain may be for sale' link on your pages.

imo...

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Biggie!
I heard that if you park names InternetTraffic is not bad.
But I prefer not to park names because of possible TM issues

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TwoMoon, why are you afraid of TM issues when parking ? are your domains all trademarked ? lol..... or are they too close to a trademark ? Some may be but not all, right ? I would understand someone not parking a domain only if there's credible fear you're infringing on an existing TM. You should park all your names so you'll earn revenue from pkg companies even if it's not great. Right now you're not making any money. Who told you to use this model ? If a domain is parked (like biggedon said) you can add a "THIS IS FOR SALE" link or something like that and the inquiry goes to you. If you like Sedo park with them and mark on their options that the domain is for sale. In the Sedo case the buyer won't contact you, the offer will go through Sedo. With all others you'll get to talk to the buyer, all the while earning parking revenue

As to where to sell names you'll have to try a few. You said Sedo, cool if you don't mind their high fees. Namedrive's NDX (their marketplace) is a great place to sell since their NDX is still kind of new and they don't charge any commission to the seller. I sold names thru there and they were professional, no problems at all. Your buyer has to have an account at Namedrive, tho. There's nothing wrong with aiming at end users but domainers also buy big time, why are you avoiding other domainers like you ? They often offer less than end users, grant it, but don't exclude them. That will work against you

There's also Go Daddy Auctions, Afternic, SnapNames and some smaller ones like Flippa, Bido, etc The good think about parking with a "FOR SALE" sign is that you deal with the other person, and the two decide where they'll complete the sale (Escrow.com for example) and if the buyer is a DNF/NP member then you can accept Paypal directly (if he has a TR or Trader Rating) When I have buyers contact me thru the WHOIS or our parked webpages and they insist on closing the sale thru an auction house I take them to Go Daddy and Namedrive and not Sedo or others because Go Daddy's commission is only 10% for the seller, and when the domain is sold at $1,000 or higher the commission becomes lower (7%) and like I said NDX is totally free. Escrow.com, Go Daddy and NDX should be the obvious choices. DomainSponsor, DomainApps, Voodoo and others let you park but they don't have a marketplace like Namedrive's NDX (Also, avoid parking at Go Daddy)

:nerd:

Last edited:

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the much info angel! Appreciate it :)
I did use Sedo parking for some time many years ago, but than they closed this option to me because of some spam traffic on one of domains (they said it, i don't remember what was the reason exactly). Well, and it was okay for me cause I didn't have any nice revenue on my domains.
And no I don't have all TM names lol It's just because I heard many scary stories about absurd cases - so prefer even not to give any chance for the potential enemies :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And no I don't have all TM names lol It's just because I heard many scary stories about absurd cases - so prefer even not to give any chance for the potential enemies :)

if...your domains are closely related to an active TM, Sedo and many others may not even allow it.

additionally, with many ppc services, you have the option to block certain keywords that may infringe on others space, if necessary.

so along with other reasons...your fears are unfounded.

imo...

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if...your domains are closely related to an active TM, Sedo and many others may not even allow it.

additionally, with many ppc services, you have the option to block certain keywords that may infringe on others space, if necessary.

so along with other reasons...your fears are unfounded.

imo...

Okay maybe TM is not the thing that scaring me most. From time to time I'm sending some emails to potential buyers. And let's imagine that the name we discussed at other forum (vip paparazzi) would be parked. Probably I would have much more problems with the potential buyer. Exactly such that kind of situations are scaring me.

Plus I rather don't have any traffic names - so it's not worth even to try.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay maybe TM is not the thing that scaring me most. From time to time I'm sending some emails to potential buyers. And let's imagine that the name we discussed at other forum (vip paparazzi) would be parked. Probably I would have much more problems with the potential buyer. Exactly such that kind of situations are scaring me.

lol

you scare easy

boo!

:)

but you'll never know if your names have traffic, if they aren't being tracked

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Go on over to Fabulous, add privacy and park your domains at Sedo. Paranoia solved. ;)

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually I know what traffic my names have. From time to time I redirect them to Sedo offer page and I see visits :)
And it's not a paranoia :) Just $20 a month from parking don't worth potential issues with someone imo

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are domains that I won't park, because you do not fully control the sponsored links that are displayed to visitors.
Sure, you can block certain keywords but that is not 100% safe.
Besides, parking may be interpreted as non-usage and lack of legitimate interest (in case a UDRP is brought against you). Not worth the risk for a quality domain, especially when it's making peanuts on parking.
On the other hand, if you host the domain yourself you have all the raw traffic stats available, something that no parking company will provide.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Besides, parking may be interpreted as non-usage and lack of legitimate interest (in case a UDRP is brought against you).

I think the irs would disagree

cuz, if the earnings from ppc is legit enough to tax, then the parked pages are legitimate usage of the names.

that's been my argument every time and i got the "fiz-zorms" to prove it

;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggie,

I suspect that in the eyes of the IRS, there is no such thing as 'illegitimate' revenue :lol:

Illegal activities. Income from illegal activities,
such as money from dealing illegal drugs, must
be included in your income on Form 1040,
line 21, or on Schedule C or Schedule C­EZ
(Form 1040) if from your self­employment activ­ity.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

DHauser

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to sell to end users you should definitely list your names on Afternic and enroll in the Premium Promotion program. This will promote your domains on over 100 registrars including GoDaddy, eNom, Tucows, Network Solutions, Directi, Dotster, Melbourne IT, GMO Japan, HiChina, and over 100 others. Your domains need a fixed price and must be registered with a participating registrar but it's well worth it. No other platform gives you exposure to a broader audience of end user buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators