• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Selling pictures to Stockphoto sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Gekko

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
359
Reaction score
0
Anyone have any experince selling pictures to stock photo sites?
How did you go about selling you pictures?
Which stock photot sites did you sell to?
Any other info you could provide?
 
I believe IStockPhoto.com is the largest and most reputable site.
 
Why sell to a site? If they are that good and of great quality, sell them online your self at any number of photo sites. Search for photo hosts and you should be able to come up with a great many to choose from.

Some charge a fee to join, some charge a commission on sales, some are totally free.

Here are a couple of places to get you started:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-6245143-1.html?tag=txt

As with anything, each has it pluses and minuses. Read, review, and study the mix.

Why make a buck on a one time shot when you can market your own product, sell as many as you want, watermark your own images to prevent theft, allow downloads to paid subscribers, and make the money rather than have someone else make the money on your material?
 
My experience is unless you have hundreds, if not thousands of original, like my friend Dan here > (http://www.photogeneralist.com/index.php?showimage=75) stock worthy images to upload to multiple stock photo sites, its a complete waste of time. Even if you do, you wont get nowhere near rich. Way too much competition not to mention major companys useing their own in house professional photographer/photoshop wiz etc. Thats one of the reasons I'm into domaining now.
 
I've made about $1,000 selling to istockphoto.com.

The last poster is correct - I have about 30,000 good stock photos, but only about 300 on istockphoto. They are absurdly picky and reject most of my spectacular photos with little or no reason. The don't allow photos with lense flare, motion blur, dogs, building architecture, logos of any kind, people without model release, etc. I spend many hours uploading and editing to get that $1000, not worth it. I even had a GREAT photo rejected because there was a bottle in the photo shaped like a Coke bottle.
 
Thanks for all the info.
I will look into it.

Juniperpark: Do you have better experinces somewhere else?
 
Thanks for all the info.
I will look into it.

Juniperpark: Do you have better experinces somewhere else?

I haven't tried -- I'm going the other route. KillerImage.com will be online soon! :)
 
There's a thought !!!
;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom