Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Shakeup Coming As Google Becomes A Registrar, Sells Names At $12 With Free Privacy And Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Big G jumps into the arena ...

Google is getting into a new business: domain registrations. The newly launched Google Domains will be allowing customers to buy and transfer domains. The cost is quite fair, just $12 a year. That offers the domain (plus up to 100 subdomains), up to 100 email addresses, and privacy protection. GoDaddy is about the same price, but they charge a few bucks more ($5 to $8) for email and privacy.
If you are dying to get a Google domain,
you can try to get an invitation to their beta. Based on the beta, it isn't yet clear all the global top level domains (gTLD) they will support, but it should at least include .com, .net and .edu. I am personally pushing for .wine and .vin as well.
Google has been an ICANN registrar for a while, but they have never before sold domains. It will also be interesting to see if Google attempts to create their own gTLD. .Goog, anyone?

Got your domain assets registered thru Google, perhaps, a future Panda update will reward your indexing? :)

Domain summit 2024

KBX

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite good news google will definitely make a good registrar.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with RTM.net I preferred Google when they were just a search engine! Besides, there's thousands of registrars to choose from, not sure the market is crying out for another.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
with all the cash they got they can create the best registrar ever. actually find regs. for 12 quite pricey for google- they do not need the profit at all.

they should go cheap to gain market share for starters. can't wait to read what the largest registrars think of this.
always thought sedo should become a registrar just like snap has network solutions and godaddy/afternic have godaddy as registrar within the same company.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, but I find Google already has way too much reach...
For that, people need to be more concerned about Google's buying spree of in home devices like NEST and several other start-ups that control the environment and access to their home. Camera's, thermostats, lights on, lights off, garage door opening, front door unlocking, who is home, who is not home, which bedroom you sleep in, water consumption, power consumption, food preparation, what you eat, what you don't eat, ordering out, cooking in, exercise? yes or no, where, when...for those really weary of google one needs to prepare for their entire life's movements, habits, patterns, and those "private" moments being watched, monitored, hacked, published, and extorted.

KBX

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
with all the cash they got they can create the best registrar ever. actually find regs. for 12 quite pricey for google- they do not need the profit at all.

they should go cheap to gain market share for starters. can't wait to read what the largest registrars think of this.
always thought sedo should become a registrar just like snap has network solutions and godaddy/afternic have godaddy as registrar within the same company.

I think they need some profits to hire the army of support staffs that will be required, though I think they could have probably made it $10

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This company is Big Brother. Consider the following:
  • you use Google for your online searches
  • you use Google for mail (Gmail)
  • you use Google for DNS (all your traffic patterns are known to Google)
  • you use Google Adsense to monetize your sites
Is there anything they don't know about you yet ?

This is brought to you by a company that is on first name terms with the NSA too.

No thanks.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This company is Big Brother. Consider the following:
  • you use Google for your online searches
  • you use Google for mail (Gmail)
  • you use Google for DNS (all your traffic patterns are known to Google)
  • you use Google Adsense to monetize your sites
Is there anything they don't know about you yet ?

This is brought to you by a company that is on first name terms with the NSA too.

No thanks.

No, this company is 'SkyNet', and 'everyone' in the whole world is too googoo eyed oblivious to that.
We were warned! ...just sayin'

They said the same about AOL and Yahoo. MySpace was supposed to rule the internet forever too. The internet is a wild and crazy place - when Google stops giving people what they want, they will disappear into irrelevance and a new order will be created.

All the paranoid folks will hide in the "dark net" fondling bitcoins only to find out it was an elaborate set-up by the illuminati or bilderbergers or NWO that leads you right to the FEMA camps on the chemtrail highway and then microchip implants, something, something, whatever.

Some folks worry too much - now get off my lawn!

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a great discussion. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, FB are all 1% players in the world of information domination and the race to garner, and subsequently monetize, big data. G is just the king (8 megatonne Gorilla) in the space because they have perfected it.

We all use Google - probably to an excessively subservient level (in terms of acquiesing personal info in exchange for products & services - freemium, hello?) and I include myself in that bunch.

But, unlike the 99% of users of these 'free' or 'almost free' services, the difference is that I (and several others in this discussion) at least realize the significance of the model and what's at stake.

So, if Google's a registrar at $12 for gTLDs ... overpriced, no compelling reason for me to give up yet more personal - business info to GOOG. Give me 50 free one year registrations (or go Wal-Mart as Justin said in his review 3 years ago) à la GoDaddy with $0.99 first year registrations... and I may consider.

Or I may just reconsider putting all my private info in the hands of SkyNet - Echelon, etc.

:) Food for thought. It's not about domain registration, it's about (big) data domination.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Their search not working for me, anyone else?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Google drop the price to under $8. I will move all my domains to them.

Why Uniregistry can't offer below $8 for .com .net .org ?????

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If Google drop the price to under $8. I will move all my domains to them.

Why Uniregistry can't offer below $8 for .com .net .org ?????
No one offers .com's for less than $8.40-.50.

I don't see the hype over google domains. It might be great for end users but as far as domainers are concerned, too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators