Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sheboygan man charged with selling employer’s domain name for $200K

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sheboygan man charged with selling employer’s domain name for $200K

Stephen M. Galstad accused of using of using corporate credit cards for globetrotting with stripper

By Eric Litke
Sheboygan Press staff

A 41-year-old Sheboygan man was charged today with selling his employer’s domain name for $200,000 and using corporate credit cards to finance international trips with a stripper girlfriend, according to complaint filed today in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.

Stephen M. Galstad, of 429 St. Clair Ave., is accused of selling the sofa.com domain name :banplease:eek:wned by Dinesen’s Leather Only to a London-based firm without the company’s permission, the complaint said.

He faces up to five years in prison and $25,000 in fines on a felony charge of theft in a business setting. Galstad is in custody awaiting his initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

According to the complaint filed by Assistant District Attorney Bruce Landgraf:

Galstad worked out an agreement in October 2005 with London company Deliverance Pension Scheme to sell the Web address for $200,000. Records subpoenaed by investigators show the domain was transferred to the new owners in November 2005, and $200,000 was wired to Galstad’s personal account about two weeks later.

Galstad, who had worked for Dinesen’s for 16 years and managed the company’s stores, then transferred well over $10,000 to two women, one from New York and one from Brazil. Neither woman was Galstad’s wife, whose divorce from him was finalized in June 2006.

The theft came to owner Lynn Dinesen’s attention when a friend told her the sofa.com address was no longer sending people to the company’s site. The address is currently operated by a London-based online furniture retailer, which according to its Web site launched in September 2006.

Meanwhile, investigators found Galstad has been using a corporate credit card to travel to Brazil, Canada, Las Vegas and New Jersey with a woman identified by his employer as a stripper from Las Vegas.

Landgraf said the use of corporate credit cards is still under investigation so the total amount stolen is unknown, but in one case his employer said he drained a credit card with a $15,000 limit.

Galstad was confronted by his Dinesen and her lawyer in May 2006 and admitted to the thefts, saying he was like “a kid in a candy store” and that he “got greedy.” However, the incident was not reported to police until April 2007.

Landgraf said Galstad immediately repaid Dinesen $66,723 and claimed he gave some of the money to the business in spring of 2006. The claim is under investigation, though it wouldn’t change the criminal act of transferring the money to a personal account, Landgraf said.

Landgraf said the reason for the delay between Dinesen’s discovery and report to police may be related to ongoing business troubles, which have since led to the company declaring bankruptcy.

Harold Stein, an attorney representing Dinesen’s owner Lynn Dinesen, declined to comment without first conferring with Dinesen. No lawyer is listed for Galstad in online court records.

Galstad will be in Milwaukee County court at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Though Milwaukee Police Department detectives are still investigating the credit card activity, Landgraf said additional charges are unlikely. Multiple thefts from a single victim are typically grouped into one charge, which in this case is the one already filed.

Source
_______
Peace!
Dan

BTW:I hope he had a "good time"...LOL

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it took them a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to figure it out...if I owned sofa.com I would probably type it in a few times a week and check the whois all the time..lol

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it took them a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to figure it out...if I owned sofa.com I would probably type it in a few times a week and check the whois all the time..lol

Seriously. I'd be about as paranoid as a crack fiend in Church.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Point noted : Strippers from vegas are extremely habit forming

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't work out if Sheboygan was a noun or some sort of adjective.

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it is the stripper I know, he can plead temporary insanity, parade her out & an all male jury might find him innocent.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is the stripper I know, he can plead temporary insanity, parade her out & an all male jury might find him innocent.

lol, those damn 'Cheetahs' strippers'll getcha everytime.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if the company contacts NetSol and lets them know their domain names was stolen. This would certainly be an interesting transfer dispute.

Offtopic: How is the theif's girlfriend's profession of any consequence to this story?

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Offtopic: How is the thief's girlfriend's profession of any consequence to this story?

I think it hits home. Being a nerd, I could see a companies domain in my hands. Now I go to a strip joint & this beautiful girl (read: stripper) says she'll marry me if I give her lots of money. Well...end of story. Obviously, I gotta get lots of money. :)

That's what I read in this story. The domain stuff is interesting too.

DomainBELL

DomainBELL.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
was there a picture of the guy or the stripper in any of the stories online about this ??

I am curious to see what he looks like...

sad the lengths some people will go to - for some things...

I have a domain name purchasing addiction - but I just had to cut back on buying high heels instead.... thank goodness...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
was there a picture of the guy or the stripper in any of the stories online about this ??

I am curious to see what he looks like...

sad the lengths some people will go to - for some things...

I have a domain name purchasing addiction - but I just had to cut back on buying high heels instead.... thank goodness...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

You don't even need a picture of him. Let's just say he always has pencils in his pocket protecter. Hell, he even divorced his wife over the stripper. I say sometimes a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do. :)

DomainBELL

DomainBELL.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't even need a picture of him. Let's just say he always has pencils in his pocket protecter. Hell, he even divorced his wife over the stripper. I say sometimes a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do. :)

LOL... you love this story... dontcha ??
LOL

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

UDLTD

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I'm more prone to think his wife divorced "him" after finding out about the stripper, The woman in Brazil, and the un named third lady.

There's no sofa's where this fellow is going.

I too am interested to see what happens when the new domain owner gets a domain dispute over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators