Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

short ccTLDs are the next buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Short 1 character ccTLDs are a great investment.
Anyone here knows when ".jp" will allow 1/2 character domain name registrations?
I already have a short one character domain myself. I'm the co-owner of http://X.vu, which we are developing to be the next big url redirection service!

They already did and they have already gone, unless you are talking about those fandangled European character sets.:lol:

merien

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems url redirect services are getting more popular now with twitter rising in popularity and people discovering it is better to have their own redirect service url then to "brand" bit.ly ;)

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was not too long ago there were lots of two letter cctlds out there. I let a bunch expire because they were so expensive to keep. I am glad that I held onto the few Mr.XX and Ms.XX that I had. Just to find some bigshot from those places or someone with the initials.

Glamorama

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why do they use bit.ly just looks strange and doesnt make any sense, couldnt they afford to buy some decent url shrink domain+service?

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny, I had gotten l.tl ("little") around the time this thread started but never noticed this thread. It'd probably take a house to unclaw my kung-fu grip on it, but who knows. I think if Twitter stays as the trendy place to be and characters and space become ever so important (lord knows what else they'll introduce there in the future), then names like this will continue to be in high demand. I think most regular people don't realize how rare they are and that not all ccTLDs offer 1-letter or even 2-letter ccTLDs.

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only problem is the best cctld investments are .co.uk .de and and only .de has released 1 and 2 character .de names that was recently auctioned off at sedo i think they have to be the best investments if some one manages to get one cheap enough. tv.de sold for tv.de 279,499 EUR thats over $400k

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yes, funny I was catching up on the boxing scene today. Is right the US doesn't even have a viable heavy weight contender these days?

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wot sometimes I don't understand you :)

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wot sometimes I don't understand you :)

Wot- you mean about boxing. :lol:

I am often misunderstood, mostly the missus!

merien

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why do they use bit.ly just looks strange and doesnt make any sense, couldnt they afford to buy some decent url shrink domain+service?

That's what I don't understand. First of all it's 5 characters and second; they are "branding" somebody else.

kevmacmeh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The interest is there. I get bids at least a couple a month on my one letters. Just a matter of how high. Lots of lowballers in the $xxx range -_-

Yeah for sure...since the .biz and .de auctions for single letters, Ive been getting offers every couple of days :eek:k:

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't got any recently, perhaps I'm just not advertising (which I should be as I'm in a sale-orientated mindset on them) - My stock includes u.bb, and most of the 1 number .bb domains.

I thought the 1 letter .biz domains went for little to say that is seen as a major extension (if in decline)

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have AA.cc, and have received about 60 offers or so on it. I get offers in the Mid XXXX range all the time. I think if I hold out a bit I can get a bit more. I have noticed lots of the 2 letter .cc names selling recently...and most recently WZ.cc sold for mid XXXX. Seems as though many are wanting shorter names these days.

jandy519

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just sold 5.cc for $xxxxx

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
congrats jandy!

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
after 10 years of domaining i have to say...
.com and type in traffic..
i didn't do anything and i lost great opportunities for :
1).cc beauty.cc was sold 1 million 10 years ago :)
2) .ws WebSite amazing idea ! :)
3) .kids.us that was the best of all !! i registered michaeljackson.kids.us :) :)

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
after 10 years of domaining i have to say...
.com and type in traffic..
i didn't do anything and i lost great opportunities for :
1).cc beauty.cc was sold 1 million 10 years ago :)
2) .ws WebSite amazing idea ! :)
3) .kids.us that was the best of all !! i registered michaeljackson.kids.us :) :)

There will always be missed oppurtunities in the domain industry. Its simply impossible to cover every ground, niche or trend or even hype. What I do is spread myself out amongst many arenas then cash out. Like I invested in .mobi even though I hated the idea then sold all my 3 letter ones off and even in cctlds I dont quite believe in because its difficult to predict the next wave. But if you diversify and be different and take some risk... regrets will be minimal versus the gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators