• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Should I warn DNF Members about bad business, or keep quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
91
I've been thinking about whether to "expose" a rather well known DNF member, or just forget about it and let him do it to someone else.

Based on his reputation, I hired a DNF member to do a certain job. He can back with a reasonable price and a reasonable timeline of 2 weeks, and indicated he would be doing the work in his 'spare' time since he had a 'regular' job with a company well known to DNF members.

I accepted and asked if he wanted to be paid up front. At first there was no reply for a few days, then he replied and said pay upon delivery, and that he was starting to work on my project the next day.

2 weeks go by with no communication, but there was a holiday in the middle so I wasn't that upset, but I emailed him for a status report. No reply. I look on DNF and see he was online that day.

A few days later I emailed him again. No reply. Later in the day I decide to check his DNF login, and again, we was online. I PM him here and ask if he is avoiding me. He then responds to my email saying he didn't commit to a deadline, apologized for the delay, and said he would be working on my project the next day.

Another week goes by with no communication, but continued DNF logins.

6 weeks into this 2 week project I email him again asking the status, and asking what he would do if he were me and needed the project done. That was a week ago -- no reply.

This is no accident or forgetfulness, it's just plain BAD BUSINESS, and I really wish someone had warned me in advance about this person. I didn't lose any money to him, but I now have missed a great business opportunity (money) because I trusted this guy to get the job done. Had he told me at any point he couldn't do it, I would have taken the job elsewhere.

So... what should I do? Let him waste another DNFer's time, or post this guy's identity hoping it will warn others away and possibly give this guy a clue? Should I post a negative feedback rating for him?

I WISH I HAD BEEN WARNED!
 
i'd say post.. everybody here has the right now know and it's in our interest as a community to avoid stuff like that....
 
Yeah why not.. How hard could be for the guy to just pm you back. I say you tell us.
 
Yeah, post it - keep to the facts and they can't complain. It's what being a member of a community is about.
 
Hopefully whoever this should see this post and get their act together, consider this their last chance, and if nothing is forthcoming then name and shame them.
 
I don't think a negative FB would be in order since no money changed hands , as far as posting the member, I don't know , it took DNF here 3 months to get me a site I paid up front for, after quoting me a week or 2, not a template , a functional site I wanted, but I never said a word about it on the forum.
 
I accepted and asked if he wanted to be paid up front.
Why would you do that? This is a mistake from your part.
I WISH I HAD BEEN WARNED!
You have answered yourself : after 6 weeks and after he/she ignored you you CAN'T let him do that again..My advice is to expose him.
 
I would ask a moderator or an admin prior to posting anything negative, after all, no money exchanged hands, and the guy may have had something more pressing going on..give him the benefit of the doubt.
 
I would ask a moderator or an admin prior to posting anything negative, after all, no money exchanged hands, and the guy may have had something more pressing going on..give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not going to ask permission - if nothing negative can be posted on a forum, I'll resign because then it's just a commercial not a community forum. I don't need more commercials.

If you log into DNF every day, including today, then you DO NOT have something more pressing going on, period. And if you do, you tell your client the situation, not hide quietly behind the keyboard hoping your screwed-over customer will go away quietly.
 
I was ripped off in a similar fashion by a well known member here ... for the petty sum of $25 ... he stopped answering PM etc ....

that was months ago ..

maybe I should have named and shamed ... but have since deleted the original PM`s . Point being ... $25 ?

Why bother scamming $25.... would`nt buy a small round of beers ..

fool
 
If is pretty safe to say that we would all appreciate the warning.
 
Why is this even an issue?
If you feel you have been screwed by this member then report it.
What is the question or hesitation?

Being a member of the forum doesn't give any privilege to waste your time or create deals they can't honor.
 
Tell us please.

Why should one need to ask if he should let others know about a fraud?
 
Why bother scamming $25.... would`nt buy a small round of beers ..

fool
Goes to show how shameless some people are when it comes to selling out their integrity (assuming they had any to begin with).

:-S

JuniperPark - I would consider posting your comments in the People Not To Do Business With section - but don't be surprised if they counter accuse you of something; as much as they may surprise you and apologize. :-)
 
Everybody loves to slow down and look at the car wreck.
 
I've been thinking about whether to "expose" a rather well known DNF member, or just forget about it and let him do it to someone else.

Based on his reputation, I hired a DNF member to do a certain job. He can back with a reasonable price and a reasonable timeline of 2 weeks, and indicated he would be doing the work in his 'spare' time since he had a 'regular' job with a company well known to DNF members.

I accepted and asked if he wanted to be paid up front. At first there was no reply for a few days, then he replied and said pay upon delivery, and that he was starting to work on my project the next day.

2 weeks go by with no communication, but there was a holiday in the middle so I wasn't that upset, but I emailed him for a status report. No reply. I look on DNF and see he was online that day.

A few days later I emailed him again. No reply. Later in the day I decide to check his DNF login, and again, we was online. I PM him here and ask if he is avoiding me. He then responds to my email saying he didn't commit to a deadline, apologized for the delay, and said he would be working on my project the next day.

Another week goes by with no communication, but continued DNF logins.

6 weeks into this 2 week project I email him again asking the status, and asking what he would do if he were me and needed the project done. That was a week ago -- no reply.

This is no accident or forgetfulness, it's just plain BAD BUSINESS, and I really wish someone had warned me in advance about this person. I didn't lose any money to him, but I now have missed a great business opportunity (money) because I trusted this guy to get the job done. Had he told me at any point he couldn't do it, I would have taken the job elsewhere.

So... what should I do? Let him waste another DNFer's time, or post this guy's identity hoping it will warn others away and possibly give this guy a clue? Should I post a negative feedback rating for him?

I WISH I HAD BEEN WARNED!
Juniper
I am about to employ a dnforum member to do a certain task
Don't know which member yet
I have a choice
Warn me now please
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom