Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Sibername takes name back that was won... veneer.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
veneer.ca went to auiction and closed yesterday and I got this note from Sibername today.
=============================================

Hello Adam,

Due to software error, some of our customers could not participate in the auction for the veneer.ca domain yesterday. The domain will be placed to the auction next week again. Sorry about the issue.

Please let me know if I should remove your bids for this domain.

Eugene
Sibername.com

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unless it is a major crash of the servers (ala Sedo), not sure a "software error" is an adequate and valid excuse. People waiting until the last moment to snipe (we all do it) knowingly are at risk of having something go wrong or bids not entered in time. IF there were several days of the auction running, then a "software error" should have been detected in plenty of time. How many auctions closed about the same time that they did not claim void due to a software error?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, Namejet gets ddos attacks during the pre-release closing at 11pm.
It is not talked about when it happens.
And, they don't re-open it.

If people prefer waiting to the last minute, you take the gamble of being blocked.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Due to software error, some of our customers could not participate in the auction for the veneer.ca domain yesterday. The domain will be placed to the auction next week again. Sorry about the issue.

Eugene
Sibername.com

If the "software" problem only affected the one name, I would have a hard time accepting the excuse.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the "software" problem only affected the one name, I would have a hard time accepting the excuse.

Well, I won another auction and they didn't take that one away or restart it.

-=DCG=-

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It happens elsewhere too...

Same thing has happen to me a few times with them and MyId and Pool,...these were back a bit but it still hurts :(

in a few cases I even got billed.. and had to be refunded.

its frustrating but what are the options???

they don't ask they just tell you.

:yo:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

and another thing...they usually start the auction at the high bid...they don't restart the whole auction and take a chance people won't bid that high again...lol

so its not a re-auction its an extention, at least that's my experiences.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes these kinds of calls benefit you and sometimes they don't, it all washes out in the end. I'm sure it's hard for any registrar to please everyone all the time. Sibername has gotten so many good names for me on the drop, and I've never seen anything wrong.

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd wonder what the "software error" was and as the "customer" with the most to lose in the situation you should receive a better explanation of what happened. As mentioned was it some last minute bidding and the customer could not get through? Well they should be SOL. Or were they unable to bid at any point since Wednesday??

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Either way, this one not so great name has cost Sibername my business.

It's the trickery I don't like.

I will now bid on very few names there and only as a last resort.

... and I assure you I spend more on .ca drops than most.

-=DCG=-

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I missed the end of the auction, but that was my fault.... I wonder if all original bidders will be re-invited? Second chance for me :)

Did you notice anything unusual about the auction? Did other bids come in at the last minute like you might have expected to see?

This happened to me once at MyID. It was a rollercoaster... I was sniping on creditbureau.ca and then a dos attack hits... I couldn't submit any offers in the last couple minutes... I was pissed and was writing a nasty email... Just before I hit send, I noticed another email come in saying I won the auction! I was thrilled and proceeded to delete the nasty email. Then a few minutes later I got an email saying they were going to re-auction it due to the attack... So I was momentarily pissed again... But the reality was I knew there was a dos attack going on and so I really couldn't complain... I won the domain on the second try, and although it cost me a few more bucks, it was no big deal. But at least I knew there was a problem. Had I not experienced the problem myself, I would have really been pissed.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dropcatchers do not realize how costly it can be alienating a single bidder who is an active bidder, it takes 2 bidders to create an auction war, and many times, both parties want the domain very badly, and fight each other for it, while the drop catcher sits back and enjoys, this sort of behavior is shameful from sibernames, when the gavel drops the auction is over, as is, where is, no take backs...

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this sort of behavior is shameful from sibernames

It will cost them revenue that's for sure, I spend 3k+ a week on drops and no more will any of that go to Sibername.

-=DCG=-

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The number most auction houses do not bother to count is the amount of losing auctions you are participating in, and driving the price up in, mind you, I don't think you lose many auctions lol

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have had far worse from Sibername - they pulled domains out of our account a few weeks later! :veryangry:

This comes down to trust: if you believe that they are straight with you all the time and they show you how the server authentication went down and you were the only bidder as a result, they might ask you how you feel about it, but generally, they are big boys - and so are the other bidders, some of whom are big girls - and need to simply let you have your registration.

When they are running an auction for a registration they drew down for under $9 and want to re-run it to pull in a few hundred more then that is a total lack of respect for the buyer.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't had these issues with them but if that is what is happening then I have to agree....

When they are running an auction for a registration they drew down for under $9 and want to re-run it to pull in a few hundred more then that is a total lack of respect for the buyer.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, in the last 4 months I have spent over 8k with them and now that will stop.

-=DC=-

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems weird that sibername hasn't made a post here about it, considering the "other customers" are most likely DNF members too

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators