Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Snapnames REALLY sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, GregR I just went to Snaps.com and renewed 2 expired snaps @ $9.95 each. The renewals did not show up on the My Snaps page and "My Orders" says the renewals failed - though my PayPal account has been charged.

I am going to guess that offering the PayPal option (which I don't think the parent company does) requires you to set those renewals manually after you receive the PayPal payment. I'm sure others will be doing this so if that is the case it would probably be good to post it so your customers here will know what to expect.

Again, with the increased competition they are facing and the corresponding drop in the success rate, this is a good move by SnapNames to bring their product in line with market conditions. I am a much happier camper now than I was before I heard about this.

These next 3 exchanges per renewal may get burnt up quckly too but at $3.32 a pop I'll still send Snap to bat for me. There are some very bright people there and I just can't see them staying down for much longer (I hope they're paying some special attention to getting back on top of .orgs - they caught some very nice ones for me in the spring but have been completely out of the running since PIR put in their RGP). I would think they would want to DOMINATE the .orgs because if WLS goes into place they still plan to offer Snaps on .orgs and other extensions since WLS will affect only .com and .net.

Domain Summit 2024

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke, I thought you knew. It was on the first page of snaps.com
Sorry.

I renewed a couple the other day. But, I was one of the first ones because I had to contact Greg to correct a renewal connection problem to PayPal. So, I assume not to many have acted on his deal.

It's a great deal for me.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Four names at Snaps and same four at GoDaddy: FAILED! But won one at NW and two at Pool! SnapNames fast becoming a has-been!

And another thing: July 25th came and went! (WLS)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
Duke, I thought you knew. It was on the first page of snaps.com
Sorry.

I renewed a couple the other day. But, I was one of the first ones because I had to contact Greg to correct a renewal connection problem to PayPal. So, I assume not to many have acted on his deal.

It's a great deal for me.

Did you get your renewals done through PayPal? I'm having the same problem now. Paid through PP but Snaps.com hasn't registered the payments and reset the Exchange number. I didn't know about the offer - GregR never tells me ANYTHING! :cheeky:

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is snaps.com the only place offering it? I have one snap there but most @ cheapsnaps.com.. also got some at domainsnaps.com

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cyphix
Is snaps.com the only place offering it? I have one snap there but most @ cheapsnaps.com.. also got some at domainsnaps.com

I was going to ask that question too Cyphix. I don't see the others offering it on their sites but GregR has been offering it for several days. I would have to think SnapNames would make it universal for all of their resellers. Quite likely that GregR is just quicker than everyone else at seizing the opportunity (wouldn't be the first time). :)

P.S. My PayPal renewals still haven't shown up in my Snaps.com account. Will someone at the Ricks household please run out to the Spa and tell Greg to get on it! :-D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just as I was feeling better about paying about $3.50 for additional Snap attempts I learn that I lost still another Snap to Pool today...this time on Motorcycling.org. SnapNames would you PLEASE, for the LOVE OF GOD, start putting some effort into getting .ORGs again - or quit selling Snaps on them!

I haven't seen one person post that they have caught a .ORG with SnapNames in weeks. I know I routinely beat them with $8 NW bids so as far as I can see they can't even be attempting to get them.

As it is now, if it is a good .ORG it automatically goes to Pool (or BD of course). I did manage to retrieve TBo_Org from Pool in an auction today, but it cost me triple what it would have been is my Snap had worked.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

Will someone at the Ricks household please run out to the Spa and tell Greg to get on it! :-D

Just dried off. :cheeky:

We must have a bug. We've only sold these to a couple of people. Each time I got a report showing failure followed by a report showing success. So those others must have done something after they got the failure notice. Try renewing again and use the credit you already have to pay for it. Sorry, my programmers can't fix it until Monday. :'(

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke .... SnapNames would you PLEASE, for the LOVE OF GOD, start putting some effort into getting .ORGs again - or quit selling Snaps on them! I haven't seen one person post that they have caught a .ORG with SnapNames in weeks. I know I routinely beat them with $8 NW bids so as far as I can see they can't even be attempting to get them.

H Duke, how do you know Snapnames even reads posts here, even if they do sometimes visit here, they may miss your posts.

Since you have contacts there via your well done interview of them in a recent DNJournal why not try to contact them directly about our concerns and their huge fall from success to failure almost overnite?

I think they are almost worthless now. Not just org's but nets and coms too. I have seen many cases of GoDaddy, NW $8.75 bids and hand regging beating them. I now have 6 non-used Snaps sitting there. The effort in reactivating them is not worth it as I am sure they will lose again.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gregr

Just dried off. :cheeky:

We must have a bug. We've only sold these to a couple of people. Each time I got a report showing failure followed by a report showing success. So those others must have done something after they got the failure notice. Try renewing again and use the credit you already have to pay for it. Sorry, my programmers can't fix it until Monday. :'(

Thanks GregR. I went into the My Orders window. Hit the Retry button on one of the two and it instantly reset both orders correctly to three exchanges. So it does appear to be a minor bug. The others probably just hit the Retry button too and perhaps it worked for them without going back to PayPal.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

H Duke, how do you know Snapnames even reads posts here, even if they do sometimes visit here, they may miss your posts.

Since you have contacts there via your well done interview of them in a recent DNJournal why not try to contact them directly about our concerns and their huge fall from success to failure almost overnite?

I think they are almost worthless now. Not just org's but nets and coms too. I have seen many cases of GoDaddy, NW $8.75 bids and hand regging beating them. I now have 6 non-used Snaps sitting there. The effort in reactivating them is not worth it as I am sure they will lose again.

I will drop them a note Dave. If I get anything useful back I will post it.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well. i wanted to see how low i would have to go to get a successful snap. So burning a last exchange i managed to get a name...

island-of-crete.net (a whopping 196 links).

The name did not even have an 8.75 bid on namewinner, but hey the losing streak ends :-D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
the losing streak ends :-D

Based on the double-hyphenated .net domain that's debatable. :-D

I know what you mean though - desperate times call for desparate measures! Good thing there was no $8 NW bid on it or you probably would have lost again!

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames, we do have a member on our forum from Snapnames.
And, he expresses himself from time to time.

And, I am sure he sees our different postings. But, maybe, he is working hard at the office and doesn't have time to respond.

"Reload your musket and keep your powder dry". Don't worry Snaps is not dead, yet. So, be ready and plan ahead.

Once, they get their "second wind" they should be back in the game.

That is why I renewed my snaps for future business opportunities.

M

mole

Originally posted by actnow
Once, they get their "second wind" they should be back in the game.

That is why I renewed my snaps for future business opportunities.

There was some suggestion many months ago that Snapnames will try to convert your existing snapbacks into WLS snaps. It was actually on their site, but has long been taken down. At $60 per pop over a basic $24 minimum to Verisign, this doesn't seem too far fetched. Better than refunds to customers.

So yes, there is still a second wind, but no the other registrars won't be very happy with this possibly unfair advantage that Snaps has at the outset.

I think the players are all keeping mum on what the WLS system will ultimately translate to, but if you are really serious, its best to keep all options covered.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They keep on getting worse and worse.

NW beat another of my Snaps on a mediocre low value hyphenated ORG name I had the Snap on for a while.

I really think Snapnames should be investigated by someone as it does not seem they even try to get any org's, but they take the money for them.

Who in the world would investigate them, especially without real evidence? Has anyone got any orgs thru them since they went on their big decline a few mos ago?

I now have 7 open Snaps but don't know what to do with them as it seems futile to assign new names to them.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
NW beat another of my Snaps on a mediocre low value hyphenated ORG name I had the Snap on for a while.

You mean NW is going for .ORGs again? hmm...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole You mean NW is going for .ORGs again? hmm...

I assume this (which I got from snapnames re the org loss) may be NW but not positive:

New Values Registrar: R34-LROR
WhoisServer: whois.dotster.com
ReferralURL: www.dotster.com/help/whois
UpdatedDate: 2003-08-01
NameServers: NS1.NAMERESOLVE.COM

P.S. Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I have heard others also say at certain times NW or Snap or others suddenly stop going after names, such as org's.

Why in the world would they decide to do that anyway, what do they have to gain by deciding to not do a good job at times, why not try to get them at all times :huh:

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:mad: yea, had a snap on buycosmetics.com. Over $900 @ pool. Had a snap on searchone.com. Had to win it at pool, pay near 10 times the snap. Thanks for nothing snap names. The party is over. I suppose the 10 unlimited snaps I have left with 4 - 6 months each wll be rendered useless. 2 for 12 so far. Not a good record at all. The only good thing that is coming out of all ofthis is, if everybody pays attention, we should all be getting more for the names we currently have. Good names will now get a lot more financial respect. Names may actually start going up in value again. I think they already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom