Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

something potentially scary just happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
to preface this, i have WAMP installed on my laptop. for anyone not familliar, WAMP is (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) for developing website locally on your machine.

It creates a directory on your C: drive similar to what you would see in your webhost when you ftp files

so, for example, in the C:wamp/www/ folder, there are a list of folders for websites i've built

siteone
sitetwo
sitethree
etc

here is the scary thing that just happened.

I had my WAMP initialized (had been working on a site), and i was on the internet and I just visited a 3L.com for curiosity to see what was there. (Dont visit this site if you have WAMP or LAMP running!)

iib.com

when i went to this site in my browser, what i saw were the contents of the 'www' directory on my C: drive :eek:

I immediately turned off my WAMP service. then i revisited the page and now i am getting 'unable to connect, firefox can't establish a connection' error.

is it just me, or should i not be freaking about this? does this mean the website or some script running on it accessed my local disk and my computer? Htf is a site able to display contents of files on my hard drive?

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
does this mean the website or some script running on it accessed my local disk and my computer? Htf is a site able to display contents of files on my hard drive?
Don't panic :D. You were accessing the content of your C: drive, with your browser.

D

Deleted member 5660

they configured their domain with 127.0.0.1 as the IP:

Answer records
iib.com MX preference: 20
exchange: grey-area.mailhostingserver.com
172800s
iib.com TXT v=spf1 -all 172800s
iib.com 28 [16 bytes] 172800s
iib.com A 127.0.0.1 14400s

D

Deleted member 5660

127.0.0.1 is a special IP address. It always goes back to the computer you are on (also called localhost). just typoe it in your browser and you will see the web page sitting on your computer.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep nothing to worry about, I love the sites that puts a scanner popup and says, you got a virus and to click their link to get it off.

I wonder how many people clicked their link, when you click it it start to download and trys to install, their program they are getting much more tricky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom