Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

moniker Spasmodic Outages At Moniker (Again)

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are again suffering outages with our domains registered through Moniker.

Alerta reports the following:
Google 2013-03-29 02:16:22 EDT 04:59:27 Unable to resolve name

2013-03-29 05:15:48 EDT Chicago USA Error 0.1 0.17 0.17 0.00 n/a n/a
2013-03-29 04:15:47 EDT Stockholm SWE Error 0.1 *.** *.** 0.00 n/a n/a
2013-03-29 03:15:48 EDT Singapore SGP Error 0.1 0.19 0.19 0.00 n/a n/a
2013-03-29 02:15:48 EDT Shanghai CHN Error 0.1 *.** *.** 0.00 n/a n/a
2013-03-29 02:15:37 EDT Rotterdam NLD Error 0.1 6.83 6.83 0.00 n/a n/a
2013-03-29 02:14:56 EDT Orlando USA Error 0.1 *.** *.** 0.00 n/a n/a

Anyone else?

It is up and down at present. Currently down. :-(

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is spasmodic. It is down for me and plenty of other customers. People are also reporting the outage on their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/MonikerSnap

Tried calling, and as usual, no-one there.

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are currently experiencing a system outage. Our engineers are working on the issue and will have an update as soon as possible. We are also experiencing an internal problem with our telephones. We are in the process of having it restored. If you cannot reach one of our support reps, please call me directly. My direct number is 954 861 3511. My cell is 561 307 1428.

I will keep this forum updated until we get these issues resolved.

Marti Johnson
Manager Customer Support
Moniker:Snapnames
[email protected]
[email protected]

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are currently experiencing an internal problem with our telephones. We are in the process of having it restored. If you cannot reach one of our support reps, please call me directly. My direct number is 954 861 3511. My cell is 561 307 1428.

I will keep this forum updated until we get these issues resolved.

Marti Johnson
Manager Customer Support
Moniker:Snapnames
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It sounds to me like an ISP provider issue. Fire them.

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Our phones are back up and running. Please contact me directly if you have any issues getting through to our support center.

Marti

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is the ETA of the fix? When can we expect to have our domains serving?

What is the cause this time?

Why does this happen repeatedly at Moniker?

What template response will be used to placate customers this time? Here are the last couple of lame assurances provided by John Mauriello:

"We continue to take measures to mitigate recurrence of this type of issue in the future, and have deployed the implementation of these preventative measures."

"We do not disclose causes of network outages or technical details, data center locations, equiptment, software etc. We have taken the further steps to reduce these types of outages"

Do you honestly think this is good enough?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I might be wrong but from my understanding Moniker's DNS are geolocated on the same network, hence no provision of redundancy. When their ISP/network provider goes down, they go down, including any VoIP phones. Seriously guys, fire your provider.

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Sara

We experienced a system issue early this morning that lasted about an hour. If you are having problems we will need to know exactly what is happening so that we can get it resolved. Please either private message me or email me your account number and what is happening and I will have our technical folks get on it right away.

Regards,

Marti

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't tell me you are using Moniker DNS instead of a redundant, third-party service ?

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you going to answer my questions?

Hi Sara

We experienced a system issue early this morning that lasted about an hour. If you are having problems we will need to know exactly what is happening so that we can get it resolved. Please either private message me or email me your account number and what is happening and I will have our technical folks get on it right away.

Regards,

Marti

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sara -- Actually it was not at all widespread so any problem you experienced would've have been isolated to your account. That is why we need the details so that we can troubleshoot the exact issue that you experienced. We will be happy to get our engineers started troubleshooting. Please give me your account name and the details and I will get it over to our technical folks.

Best Regards,

Marti
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Except it was tweeted on Twitter, posted on Facebook, reported here, and complained about elsewhere. My questions are valid. Why not answer them so that everyone is aware of the situation.... for next time?

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Sara

Until we actually figure out what your issue is I really can't give you an answer on what the cause is. I offer again to have you contact me directly so that I can help you resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Marti

Sara

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Sara

Until we actually figure out what your issue is I really can't give you an answer on what the cause is. I offer again to have you contact me directly so that I can help you resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Marti

Please could you not to imply that this was an issue specific to me? It wasn't. It affected many customers and you have already stated above that there was "a system issue".

This is a forum. One of its benefits is to enable information to be shared amongst like-groups of people. I will not be the only person here who would like more information on this and more information on the underlying cause. I am not the only person who wants to know how I can have any confidence that I will not be back here in a few weeks with yet another outage.

This was not a customer or user error. It was a problem at Moniker which affected many. Please could you therefore answer the question I have asked, for the benefit of all of us, and for reference next time this happens?

Please could you provide more detail than on previous occasions:

"We continue to take measures to mitigate recurrence of this type of issue in the future, and have deployed the implementation of these preventative measures."

"We do not disclose causes of network outages or technical details, data center locations, equipment, software etc. We have taken the further steps to reduce these types of outages".

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for more than the bland assurances offered in these statements, given that lengthy outages have persisted.

Finally, I point out that the outage this time appears to have been far longer than the hour you claim. Your comments and the times in recorded in this thread also evidence this.

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Sara

Please contact me directly so that we can determine the exact cause of the issue you experienced.

Best Regards

Marti

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom