Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Stargate

Status
Not open for further replies.

simone

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Do any members here use Stargate.com ?

We just opened a bulk account with them, and I thought they would certainly offer telephone support now. But ! I have left a couple of messages for them, as no one ever answers the phone, and I recieve replies via email instead of phone calls back.

They dont work with joker.com - and I have 50+ domains which I was going to transfer to Startgate, but cant.

Can someone email me the list of registrars they dont work with so I'm not wasting my time putting in transfers which wont occur ? If I knew they didnt work with joker I might have given opeing our bulk account with them more consideration. And now there is a delay in transfers coming to them from Network Solutions.

I am one not happy Stargate customer !!!

Domain summit 2024

To transfer from Joker, you now have to go into Joker and authorize the transfer. Once you have done that, you go to the receiving registrar (the next day) and initiate the transfer request. You can't do this in any other order - Joker first, wait one day only, initiate the transfer from your receiving registrat.

If you then confirm the emails correctly, your domain will be transferred.

If you miss the timing, miss the confirmation, miss the phase of the moon....it will all fail and you'll have to do it over again.

It often takes us three or four attempts to transfer domains from Joker to us.

If your registrar charges for failed attempted transfers, change registrars.

-t

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt

If your registrar charges for failed attempted transfers, change registrars.
-t

Which reminds me... RegisterFly charges for failed transfers, I learned the hard way :upset: (probably could have learned through thier transfer agreement.. but I never bother reading those, lol)

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how many domains do you manage?

simone

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To transfer from Joker, you now have to go into Joker and authorize the transfer.

Thanks the witt - but my problem isnt from the joker end, I have transferred to other registrars from joker before with no problem - its from the Stargate end.

Simone

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Simone,

I haven't dealt with joker.com, but i have heard the story before, but you could look at it this way.

Makes it darn tough to have your name hijacked, which maybe a good thing in the end, which is not the case with INWW.COM i know a member here who uses them, so do you. :)

This is what happens when a transfer away is instigated from them, if the owner is not watching his / her emails every day it would be very easy to lose a name or names.

This is an example of the mail one would recieve from INWW.
(1) TO APPROVE A REQUEST
If you DO APPROVE do nothing and we will assume the request is valid. The
domain will be transferred to your new registrar automatically 5-6 days
after receiving this transmission.

(2) TO DECLINE A REQUEST
Please send this email to transferout@inww.com and enter the following in
the the Subject line of your email response
"DO NOT APPROVE- <<domain name>>"
NOTE: Please include your domain name in the <<domain name>> field

NOTE:
(a) TO DECLINE a request to transfer this domain to another registrar you
must have a VALID reason and this must clearly be noted in the body of the
email. - THIS IS MANDATORY
(b) You CANNOT DECLINE a request to transfer to another registrar if the
domain has expired - This is NOT considered a Valid reason and the registrar
may ignore your submission.
(c) You MAY DECLINE a transfer if you consider it a fraudulent request which
has not been confirmed or initiated by the actual registrant.

They require nothing, unless you object, to do that you have to see it in the time frame set out above, i find that strange no confirmation is required.

I cant see why all registrars are not useing a registrar lock, as per
enom does, it looks like a crazy method to me, i would rather have the transfer hassle than very little protection at all.

I hope that stargate didn't charge you for the failed transfers, oh yes and Dan, if you pester registerfly they will probably try again at no extra charge, on your failed transfers just keep on hamming at them.

MaadMaax

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From my experience, stargate sucks big time.... if you do bulk buying with them, make a note, when you transfer names out, they DO NOT send you ACK notices.
Expiry notices are also randomly sent. If you miss a domain name renewal, they DO NOT follow a single protocol. They will delete your names on random days. While other registrars like OpenSRS have strict rules of XX days after non payment deletion, stargate does not have that.

Their customer service is arrogant to the say the least.

My 2 1/2 cents.

HTH.

have had no problems with Stargate that would not be resolved. I have a bulk account at $8 per registration/renewal/transfer. They have some problems with some registrars that cannot be done automatically and you need to start a manual transfer. Call their number and ask for Don Wilbourn if you have problems like that.

Originally posted by domnet
how many domains do you manage?
I'm a reseller for OpenSRS with a very active business. I'm afraid my partner would kill me if I gave up how many domains are registered with us at the moment, but it's a large number and growing every day :).

We do a fair transfer business - probably 30% of our business is transfers - although with the difficulty getting them to take the first time, it's probably not a profitable part of the business at this point in time. It's really not unusual for a transfer to fail 3 or more times before it's successful - and often requires us to contact the losign registrar at least once.

Domain sales in general actually seem to be on the rise. On the OpenSRS mailing list, a number of resellers are reporting a general rise in registrations since March. I can confirm that - and even the alternate TLDs are growing much faster than we expected. The .us business is very strong, with .biz and .info nearly as strong.

Of course the majority of new registrations are still .com and .net, but the new TLDs are really doing quite well.

-t

Originally posted by simone
To transfer from Joker, you now have to go into Joker and authorize the transfer.

Thanks the witt - but my problem isnt from the joker end, I have transferred to other registrars from joker before with no problem - its from the Stargate end.

Simone
I don't know if Joker or Stargate, but the changes in transfer policy at Joker are within the last 60 days or so...

-t

namedancer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a couple dozen names with Stargate and haven't had any problems, either in new regs or transfers, that I couldn't take care of via their Web Based Client Support System. Since they've raised their prices though I've switched to powerpipe which is $7.99 on everything without having to commit to a bulk account. I also like powerpipe's URL forward (via ENOM) better than Stargate's, which doesn't seem to work with script off and which you can't back out of as easily (requires a double click). Stargate's control panel, on the other hand, is easier to use I think.

Many regards & best of luck,
namedancer

simone

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who posted in regards to my problem and the advice you offered. I'm going to contact Don Wilbourn as timechange suggests as see where that gets me.

Simone

mattmansfield

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They do allow transfers, but it's pretty hard to get it to work first time.

There always seems to be a 7 day delay in anything you request.

Joker has instigated a new transfer policy.

In order to transfer from them, you need to follow their new step by step process to the letter. It starts by pre-authorizing the transfer on their site, then initiating the transfer from the gaining registrar. If you mess this up, you'll wait until everything times out and start over.

This policy is new within the last 60-90 days.

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators