Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

starregistry.com is a scam - WARNING

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was referred to starregistry.com from a friend who spend $500+ in registering his wifes name to a star... i was seconds away from purchasing one for my mother today, when i noticed on google that starregistry.com has no rights to sell names!

it appears starregistry.com is a scam, they claim they have the rights to name stars ! this is not true!

just google them and you will find

http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/isr_news.html

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2001/12/49345

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/advice/20041130a1.asp

and more

Vinternatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it seems like they are selling names till 15 years, I'm wondering what are they planning to do when all of these customers start to sue them.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it seems like they are selling names till 15 years, I'm wondering what are they planning to do when all of these customers start to sue them.

i was seconds away from paying, when i took one extra step from my domaining experience to investigate them - and was shocked to find out it was a scam!

my Jewish friend is an honest old man and he assured me it was real! i have to inform him ASAP!

Vinternatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I should correct something, it seems like they are founded in 1979 so that makes 30 years. And the wired.com article says that they sold 1 million certificates. People should sue them immediately otherwise they are not going to stop selling those pointless papers. I'm sorry for your friend, too.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did this about 25 years ago as a gift... I think it was like $25 but the certificate was cool looking!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a nominal fee, I will enter on my official registry of dust bunnies under my couch, the name of your choice, and send you a certificate attesting to the dust bunny which has been named for you.

I am also considering expanding the registy to include the blades of grass in my yard, and the hairs in my beard.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are doing anything illegal.

Read their FAQ:
http://starregistry.com/faq.cfm

# Q: Am I buying the star?
# A: No. We do not own the star, so we cannot sell it to you.
This is like adopting the star. This star is associated with that special someone. It is something you can point at to know that there is something special out there for you.

# Q: Will the scientific community recognize my star name?
# A: No. We are a private company that provides Gift Packages. Astronomers will not recognize your name because your name is published only in our Star catalog. We periodically print a book called Your Place in the Cosmos © which lists the stars that we have named.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are doing anything illegal.

That was more or less my point.

The relevant question of fact is whether their advertising is deceptive.

But, I can charge whatever I want for people to enroll in John Berryhill's Registry of Beard Hairs, or anything else.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a nominal fee, I will enter on my official registry of dust bunnies under my couch, the name of your choice, and send you a certificate attesting to the dust bunny which has been named for you.

I am also considering expanding the registy to include the blades of grass in my yard, and the hairs in my beard.

sold

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PM me your BIN

Sorry, but the price just went way up.

I had a trimmer accident last night, and the only way to fix things was to shave it down to a goatee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom