• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Starting a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
405
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm about to start a forum.
what's the best software to do it in your opinion?

InvisionBoard, vBulletin or Phpbb?
 
vB. I have just recently purchased a very creative domain name that fits in the fortune money making category, wanna cooperate and develop it?
 
Invision Power Board.
 
VB is very good.

i like phpbb, but the moderating features are not good enough.
 
VB probably has the easiest use of features. Phpbb is excellent, is you don't want to spend any money.
 
In Order:
vB
IPB
SMF
phpBB
Yabb
Phorum
A modified php guestbook script :p

vB is way easiest to customize and is VERY powerful!
 
VB is what I'm looking into myself.
 
VB is the most professional choice for a paid alternative.

There are a tonne of free ones including MyBB.
 
start off with phpbb and see how it goes, as your forum grows you can always upgrade to VB if you wanted
 
the problem with vB is that it has a high learning curve and to begin with you'll feel overwhelmed.. give it 2-3 days of experimenting and the stuff you can do are simply amazing...

best $160 I ever spent :)
 
vBulletin, doesnt get any better than that.
 
VB. I wouldn't even consider the other forums out there even for free. There is a reason they are free. There is also a reason that people pay $160 for a VB when they could use a free alternative. VB is the best hands down and is worth every penny.
 
thanks everyone, I'll end up with a vBulletin license. ;)
 
Yea, I would also agree with vb. I used vb alot!
 
as a vb alternative, I would seriously consider SMF
 
People are fast to say VB but at $160 a license I balk. $160 ain't a lot but only covers 1 year of updates. Over 5 years you can pay $300+ just to keep your forums software updated.

Have a look at this:

http://www.mybboard.org

I think that's coming along very nicely and has a VB style/feel to it. It shows solid potential for a free forums.
 
Personally I support PHPbb, some people can say what they want, but there are more mods/hacks for phpbb than VB. They are all free unless you want something custom designed.

Endless support, some people comment that phpbb, can not be successfully managed as you get to a indepth amount of posts, but phpbb has over 1 million 500,000 posts and over a million replies on it.

(you do have to know some simple php coding in order to mod it the way you like that is only down fall)

It does get hacked it seems more than other forums, but mostly due to people not updating the software when the updates come out, I personally have never had one hacked.

Good Luck with your new forum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom