Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Starting Domain Registrar to Provide Cheapest Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi DNF.

I am starting a domain registrar to provide the cheapest possible prices to really help just contribute to the webmaster/domainer communities and people's success. This business venture is built to serve & help people and I do not intend to profit like many other registrars.

I know I am looking to get into a very competitive industry niche so I would like to know where to begin? How can I start attracting people to use and/or transfer over to my registrar/service to save themselves money? I would love to attract new people to the web and domainers with 10-100+ domains as well; the more domains you have, the better the pricing I can offer.

Any ideas, tips, advice? My base pricing I am offering to people is $8.25/yr .com, $7.49/yr .net, $8.88/yr .org, $8.88/yr .info, $8.49/yr .biz, $8.88/yr .us, $8.88/yr .eu, $8.88/yr .in, $19.95/yr .mobi, and other major TLDs. Included is free domain privacy, extensive DNS control/management, domain forwarding, email forwarding, easy-to-use control panel, and much more to compete to provide superior domain registration, renewal, transfer, & management services.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi DNF.

I am starting a domain registrar to provide the cheapest possible prices to really help just contribute to the webmaster/domainer communities and people's success. This business venture is built to serve & help people and I do not intend to profit like many other registrars.

I know I am looking to get into a very competitive industry niche so I would like to know where to begin? How can I start attracting people to use and/or transfer over to my registrar/service to save themselves money? I would love to attract new people to the web and domainers with 10-100+ domains as well; the more domains you have, the better the pricing I can offer.

Any ideas, tips, advice? My base pricing I am offering to people is $8.25/yr .com, $7.49/yr .net, $8.88/yr .org, $8.88/yr .info, $8.49/yr .biz, $8.88/yr .us, $8.88/yr .eu, $8.88/yr .in, $19.95/yr .mobi, and other major TLDs. Included is free domain privacy, extensive DNS control/management, domain forwarding, email forwarding, easy-to-use control panel, and much more to compete to provide superior domain registration, renewal, transfer, & management services.

yes, it's true, you will be getting into a crowded field

most of the main registrars used by domainers offer more than just registration services or are aligned with/partnered with other entities that provide drop catching/backordering services as well as options for the registrant to sell their domains either directly thru that registrar or other venues.

security is also a top issue and confidence goes hand in hand with that.

you'll have a tough fight trying to get me to move any of my domains to a new registrar, even if the reg/renewal/transfer prices are somewhat lower than the registrar i currently use.

you'll also have to offer a reseller program where the rates are lower than what you've posted, as an enticement for domainers to even consider your service as an option.

just a few things off the top of my noggin :)

imo...

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes, it's true, you will be getting into a crowded field

most of the main registrars used by domainers offer more than just registration services or are aligned with/partnered with other entities that provide drop catching/backordering services as well as options for the registrant to sell their domains either directly thru that registrar or other venues.

security is also a top issue and confidence goes hand in hand with that.

you'll have a tough fight trying to get me to move any of my domains to a new registrar, even if the reg/renewal/transfer prices are somewhat lower than the registrar i currently use.

you'll also have to offer a reseller program where the rates are lower than what you've posted, as an enticement for domainers to even consider your service as an option.

just a few things off the top of my noggin :)

imo...

Thanks for your reply about security. That is a top-priority with my business. We DO offer Domain Theft Protection.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on your target audience.
If you want to cater to investors, good bulk management tools will come handy.
I would take inspiration from registrars like Dynadot or Fabulous :yes:

Plus:
  • a wide range of payment methods including paypal & moneybookers
  • multi-language UI
  • API
  • last but not least, real support, live chat and a contact phone number :)
However:
the purpose of any business venture is to make a profit, be profitable and sustainable, not "to serve & help people". Make sure you have a sound business plan and don't get your priorities mixed up.

Good luck.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Right now, I am at about 350 domains. At about 75 domains, Dynadot becomes very powerful on pricing with the bulk plan - and they have been around long enough to gain some trust and credibility. I just recently began to consolidate my non .com names there for some big savings (prices from 6.25 to 8.50 for the extensions I own). I still use GoDaddy for the .com's as long as I can find a coupon that works ($7.66).

It is a tough business to compete in. The first thing you need to do is establish credibility and ease of use. The customer service points made above would help greatly. Until a domainer reaches 100+, small variations in pricing just don't add up enough to make the jump to an unknown worthwhile. Everyone has to be comfortable that getting names in and out is easy, management tools are straightforward, easy checkout - without a ton of upselling, etc. Probably better to concentrate on small domainers and a few heavy hitters first. The bulk of the mid-sized ones won't jump until there is pretty widespread acceptance and use.

Good luck

Deleted member 111831

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whenever my GoDaddy domains come up for renewal I always move them to either Moniker or Fabulous, for higher prices.

Price is not the only consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom