• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Steelers QB in serious condition after motorcycle accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

- T -

drone.domains
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
1,754
Reaction score
2
http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9493900
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

Happened two hours ago, and he's in "serious but stable" condition. He's currently undergoing surgery.

Ben had a green light and was crossing an intersection when a car struck him, sending him flying over the handlebars to hit his head "with great force" on the windshield of the car. He wasn't wearing a helmet (a recent law made helmets optional), and has head injuries.

As a huge 10-year Steelers fan, I am really pissed off about this, but what I'm really worried about is that he's ok :greensad:

And please, no "he deserved it for not wearing a helmet" comments, this means a lot to me.
 
I can relate. Back on May 20th, a pilot in my Harrier Squadron was heading home from work and some ignoramus heading the other way turned right into his path. His on recourse was to lay the bike down to avoid a diirect collison.

He had only all his gear including helmet and is still in serious condition. Had to be put into a medically induced coma matter of fact.

He will most likely never fly again.
 
That really stinks. Hope he's alright.... as a die hard New England Patriots fan, it's always fun when the Steelers come into town. Solid organization. Football aside, hope he comes out alright and still able to play the game he loves.


P.S
I thought that in most professional players contracts was a no motorcycle clause. Can anyone verify this?
 
Saw this on TV. What you get for not wearing a helmet.

I do want to add I hope for the best and hope he recovers well; however, helmet helmet helmet if you are going to ride a motor cycle.
 
Saw this on TV. What you get for not wearing a helmet.

There's always one wiseass with the juvenile comment. Sure you wouldn't say that if it was a friend of yours or someone you were acquainted with.
 
jdk said:
Saw this on TV. What you get for not wearing a helmet.
Wow, and even after what I said in the last line of my original post. :tape2:

Apparently Roethlisberger broke his jaw, fractured facial bones, lost some teeth, and suffered lacerations to the front and back of his head. Also I heard on TV that he may have damaged his knees (obviously a bad sign for a football player), but haven't seen anything online to back that up.

@j-milan: I'm not sure, but a year ago Coach Bill Cower warned him about not wearing a helmet when riding.
 
I am not trying to bash him, but for most proffesional sports arent there contracts where you cant ride a motor cycle? Michael Jordan started riding a motor cycle after his proffesional basketball career, because it was aggainst his contract while being on a proffesional team. Hopefully he gets better and is able to play football proffesionally soon. I am a big fan of the steelers.
 
Just read this:

Many professional athletes have contract clauses that prohibit them from dangerous activities, including motorcycles.

So I guess that it is a contract only agreed upon by certain players.

Current injury list:
Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground.
 
Yeap...this sucks, but he's an idiot for riding a motorcycle without a helmet IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS CAREER. If I played a pro-sport for a living I sure as hell would take better care of myself.

I do hope he gets better...but damn, stupid move on his part.
 
6' 5" / 241 - He'll recover... But his career is just about shot with those knee injuries. Mouth, Teeth, Head... all that shyt can be fixed... But your knees ? Both of 'em. He can't be sacked not once! Hope he saved.
 
I know that it isn't required by law in Penn, but riding a motorcycle without a helmet seems quite dumb (atleast in hindsight). I really hope that he's ok.
 
All these people who think a helmet is going to save you over 25 mph haven't looked at statistics comparing fatalities with or without. There's no seatbelt or steel wrapped around you on a motorcycle, and it's usually either caused by an idgit car driver or a young inexperienced kid on a crotch rocket.

Everybody no matter how big and strong goes 0 and 1 against the pavement.

Be careful and watch! It's motorcycle season!
 
As a Seahawk fan who's got lots of Steeler friends, I do hope Ben makes a full recovery. From a domainer prespective? The traffic on one of my parked Steeler and news sites was going through the roof this morning. Highly unusual for June. Thought it might be some weird bot traffic. So, I flipped over to the main page of 'the world-wide leader' and there ya go. Keeping up with current events by monitoring my traffic. Something new in domaining every day.
 
I dont no what it is about motorcycles but people just dont see them, we even have a headlight must be on at all times law in Ny and people still hit them and say they didnt see them
 
Ben's knees are fine and he will likely not miss any playing time. Furthermore, Coach Cowher is also in surgery...as he has agreed to donate part of his jaw.
 
fatter said:
I dont no what it is about motorcycles but people just dont see them, we even have a headlight must be on at all times law in Ny and people still hit them and say they didnt see them

Most people on the street (and off) are pretty unaware of their surroundings, it's a sad reality, but it is reality. A lot of people are not aware period.
 
I wonder if Ben was also on his Cell Phone? Everyone I see crossing intersections these days is on the phone. True story...I saw a lady crossing a fairly busy street the other day....pushing a baby in a stroller, walking a dog, and on the phone....true story.
 
The doctors say that the seven-hour surgery was successful, and that Roethlisberger’s brain, spine chest and abdomen all appear to be okay. They also said that "he has no other serious injuries that they are aware of", which hopefully means that his knees weren't damaged very badly.

Great news! I too wish Ben a speedy recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom