Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

*ster vs *stry name ending

guszen

Reaction score
Hello, I have a LLLstry.com domain for sale and there is a website with the LLLster.com domain. Do you guys think I am at risk of being infringing any domain name rights of the LLLster domain holder? If not, I was thinking about contacting them to offer my domain. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think

if they already got a domain and an active website attached to it....

and the "ster" suffix is a much better branding suffix than using "stry" , then why would they be interested?

imo....

guszen

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your opinion. I think one reason would be to avoid having someone else build a similar business, which is 100% online. But you may be right and they may have no interest whatsoever. I was wondering if they would say: "we have no interest and, by the way, you need to transfer this domain to us because the name is very similar"...

werejack

Level 3
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your opinion. I think one reason would be to avoid having someone else build a similar business, which is 100% online. But you may be right and they may have no interest whatsoever. I was wondering if they would say: "we have no interest and, by the way, you need to transfer this domain to us because the name is very similar"...
In my opinion,
if it is a generic term like manstry and you register manster, it isnt infringement or redstry and redster.... But if it CLEARLY is from a term made popular by that brand e.g Rolex and you register Rolexster (just as a quick example, not that Rolex would want to buy a longer, derivative name) then that in my view would be grounds for infringement.
if it is a general term, widelyused in speech or culture then it is likely to NOT be infringement.

guszen

Reaction score
In my opinion,
if it is a generic term like manstry and you register manster, it isnt infringement or redstry and redster.... But if it CLEARLY is from a term made popular by that brand e.g Rolex and you register Rolexster (just as a quick example, not that Rolex would want to buy a longer, derivative name) then that in my view would be grounds for infringement.
if it is a general term, widelyused in speech or culture then it is likely to NOT be infringement.
Thank you. My case it is a generic word, like "Gun" (gunster exists and I have gunster). thank you for your perspective! :).

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators