Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

T.R.A.F.F.I.C auction- conspiracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand your lending policies are different in Canada.

You can say that again. 30 million Canadians who think they live under a free market economy have a choice beetween 6 banks.

In the states we can lock in a very low rate for 30-40-50 years. Consider that at 5.5%, a payment on a $300,000 loan would only be about $1600. And that's mostly tax deductable. $1,600 may seem like a lot to someone now, but in 10 years they will most likely be ecstatic that they have that same monthly payment. I understand in Canada you can't go more than about 7 years on a loan. There's a lot of risk there that would certainly work to keep prices from going to high. If that 5.5% loan became 10%, your payment might look more like $3,200 per month.

There are some 10 year mortgages with highly unatractive rates. However there is no tax deduction on your mortgage unlike many states.

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have few reasons to think that this auction was an conspiracy and show running from the little office with radio DJ and background of sounds added

1. there was a number of participants always requested (to make attention) the numbers was as high as 500+,

a) so have anyone from the dncommunity participated in real - No ? Why? dnforum one of the biggest domain forums in the market and we have some few big buyers here as well, why no one from dnforum was participating

b) there was only few same voices at the background (screaming woman, the dj, the guy that points at dj's mistakes , and the guy that says the buyers number( as the dj re: "can't see from that far") why no big noise when 500+ people participating?

2. the owner of the show bought flowers.mobi for 200k? hm, if so, did he paid traffic commissions as well?or they put it on to marketing expenses bill and will do tax charge back?

3. why such a big numbers of newly "lucky mobi owners" complained abut no respond from moniker, when they was offering their mobis for this auction??

was the other .com's, that was listed there for sale by actual dnmembers was just bought by show owner&friends ( as they buys domains anyway)?

thats only few points , need to think of more, any help?

Even I thought $200k for flowers.mobi to be outrageous! Maybe news.mobi, games.mobi or even fun.mobi is worth around that but Flowers.mobi?

To develop it into a site..for flowers sales targeted to people are on the move and searching to buy flowers? I am really curious what he has to say. What do you think he spent so much money on it out of so many other .mobi?

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So after seven pages in this thread, and 122 posts, are we to believe that there are still people who concur with the OP's rantings?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do we get results of other .mobi premium sales today?
other thing, any movement on the whois details for the .mobis that sold. last time i checked, no change.
not sure if money will ever change hands for flowers. it's great for the extension of which i am fan, but i wouldn't have paid more than a few hundred $ for it, then then maybe i'm tight :hand:
Pred

akaning3

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me why pool.com got some good names before the landrush and are still holding them?
such as:
zune.mobi
mpd.mobi
etc.......
Did they buy them in advanced and later will auction them to gain profit?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me why pool.com got some good names before the landrush and are still holding them?
such as:
zune.mobi
mpd.mobi
etc.......

they didn't get them BEFORE the landrush, they got them during the landrush. non paying bidders for whom they regged them for or holding them themselves might be explanations

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like .mobis and I don't think they are worth much at all right now.

However, the floral industry is big business in the U.S.

Do you know how many poor schmos order flowers last minute because they forgot their sweeties birthday, anniversary, etc.? And above all, they want them fast and cheap.

I think the idea of flowers.mobi is that if .mobi usage takes off so too will the convenience of ordering flowers last minute from any location -- thus the value of the name.

Even I thought $200k for flowers.mobi to be outrageous! Maybe news.mobi, games.mobi or even fun.mobi is worth around that but Flowers.mobi?

To develop it into a site..for flowers sales targeted to people are on the move and searching to buy flowers? I am really curious what he has to say. What do you think he spent so much money on it out of so many other .mobi?

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
such as:
zune.mobi
mpd.mobi
etc.......

Wouldn't zune.mobi cause TM issues?

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has been very slow getting all the names to people's accounts at Pool.

This is due to many factors including the shear number of domains and puchases, credit card limits , etc etc................

akaning3

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't zune.mobi cause TM issues?

Yea, i think they would sue me, but since I had pre-registered the name before they even filed for the trademark in Germany, i thought I would be safe. I dont know much about TM, but i guess it was fate that i didnt get it cause they may have sued me later.
The name is still in pool.com possession so i guess they are holding it. But what i dont get is that zunestore.mobi is registered by microsoft but zune.mobi is not registered. strange?

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So after seven pages in this thread, and 122 posts, are we to believe that there are still people who concur with the OP's rantings?

If you are referring to me, then you probably should read my post again. I only mentioned the price flowers.mobi went for. If you dont find that a bit unexpected sale amount, then there is nothing I can say to you..

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there were many mobies for sale on the conference. The ones that made the auction were the ones that belonged to the registry only. Why only domain names that belong to the registry made the auction??

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the idea of flowers.mobi is that if .mobi usage takes off so too will the convenience of ordering flowers last minute from any location -- thus the value of the name.

Sure, but the domain seems pretty suitable for extension and it does have huge potential if .mobi takes off, however, there are hundreds of similar domains going for much cheaper as of now. Flower.mobi wasnt even included in that $200k sale! That domain must have increased in value multiple times because of this sale.
GPS.mobi, MAP.mobi, Ringtones.mobi are I think one of the best there is for this extension. I dont see myself investing much in .Mobi but if I see something for sale like these ones...my gambling instincts would make me.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to me, then you probably should read my post again. I only mentioned the price flowers.mobi went for. If you dont find that a bit unexpected sale amount, then there is nothing I can say to you..
No Syed, OP = 'Original Poster' -- the thread starter.

siruis

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sent names for the auction by Invitation only!
The live auction, soon as I saw the names I knew none of my names made it to the live auction..
No word from them about the silent auction or any thing els. I was wondering when I would find out about the names being free to market again. I went to monikers site and noticed the silent auction was through November 10th instead of October 30th. I couldn’t log in to see the silent auction so I emailed them and asked why. They basically sent me a email telling me my name where free for market and no one bid on them. Since it was only about the 3rd of the month I don’t believe that they ever placed my domain names in the silent auction. Not only that but I couldn’t log in to see the silent auction? What’s up with that?
So to round it off I spent a day filling out a form for about 180 domain names. Sent them the names and waited two or three weeks for basically nothing. After I contacted them to find out about the names. In their return contact they did tell me it would be better if I parked my names with them so they could monitor them for the next auction.
From what I saw on the live auction I don’t understand why none made it to the silent auction. I have some good names you can see them here
{removed no promotions allowed}

If any one would ask me if I would sign up next year I would tell them NO. I wouldn’t waist my time with them. I believe all they where doing with me was trying to get me to move all my parked domain names to there parking site and I don’t believe any of my names were even looked at for the auctions.

The Live auction is probably real with maybe even just a few names that are theirs in the live auction and the silent auction is possibly full of their domain names because they won’t even let any one that submits domain names to the auction log in. They probably own 500,000 or 600,000 domain names. Why take 10% - %20 when you can get 100% every one is saying they bid on names but who sold a name?

So any one here actually sell a domain name? Every one says they where there and they bid who sold a domain name. And why cant we log into the silent auction to witness our own domain names being auctioned, and why did they tell me REAL FAST REPLY that none of my names where bid on and that the names where FREE for market before the auction was over. Sure the Auction was real every one saw it but Sorry something Fishy going on behind the curtains.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
interesting situation with .mobi names:

1. Domain names that registry holds sold on the auction for 5-6 digits. Registry holds all premium generic domain names

2. people start thinking that mobi worth a lot, and they register whole bunch of junk. This is a good marketing strategy to promote .mobis

Please be careful when you deal with .mobi names

Sirius, I understand your frustration, but don't be frustrated. It really looks like that event that we all witnessed was setup for .mobi marketing compaign. If there are few people that sold mobies there on the auction they still not identified. Let's put it this way: flowers.mobi would never
be sold for $200,000 if it were your domain name

siruis

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sirius, I understand your frustration, but don't be frustrated. It really looks like that event that we all witnessed was setup for .mobi marketing compaign. If there are few people that sold mobies there on the auction they still not identified. Let's put it this way: flowers.mobi would never
be sold for $200,000 if it were your domain name

Hi Provider
Isn’t that the truth? Also understand my feelings about this, it doesn’t matter what is going on behind the curtains with Moniker, I would imagine it is probably legal, It is just shifty and they are not being totally up front with the domain name sellers that they bring into the auction. But in the long run what they are doing will help all domainers! They are setting the standard for domain name auctions and sales which will help us all out in the long run. But they could do it with out dragging us through the mud :fencing: LOL

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Srius, domain name auctions that Moniker is making is a new thing in our industry. Actually it is a new elements in domain name industry that will
bring awareness and more people into the marketplace. Moniker still didn't make enough money to be completely independent with these auctions thats why there are some things that some people might not like. If you heard the
radio you could witness that some domain names were just taken off the chart right away, and some names were pronounced slowly, and it took some time for the announcer to convince people to bid. Obviously "their people" sold more names on that auction than regular people. Many people like you didn't even know and still don't know if their domain names were ever offered for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators