Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

enom Taxes / ICANN Fees at eNom?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Enom.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottatmu

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I was registering a domain over at goold old eNom and on my cart checkout, next to the domain price, was a column for Taxes / ICANN Fees ... it said 0.00, but ... WTF? Are they going to start taxing? Has a rule been passed that I missed?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I believe it's a quarter per registration.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN fee is $0.25 per year per name. This only applies to .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, and .jobs.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
? is that through all registrars now?

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
freaking GoDaddy has been charging that tax for almost a year now.

eNom is getting away with murder with their Paypal/Credit Card 3% fee. If you accept to take credit cards, you are supposed to agree to NOT pass the charges to the consumers.

Someone should contact Visa/Mastercard about this practice.

Class action lawsuit, anybody?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
True - but they call it a convenience fee. You can choose to write a check instead and mail it off - no surcharges.

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No.. if the merchants choose to accept Visa/Mastercard, they are supposed to agree to their terms, which states that they cannot pass the processing fee back to the consumers. Maybe there is some loopholes here.. but I don't think so.

Enom has a choice, either don't take credit card payments "OR" accept credit cards without the 3% charges. They are taking a free ride and passing back the charges to the consumers. :mad:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if cardholders agree to pay the surcharge they are not entitled to a refund. However, should they report the offending merchant, MasterCard can impose significant penalties on the banks that service the merchant if it continues this practice after being notified by MasterCard of the illegality of the practice.

If card users need to contact MasterCard for any reason they can contact the MasterCard Global Service toll free number.

Not sure what Visa does.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
True - but they call it a convenience fee.

I call it an inconvenience fee...

taheria

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gariben said:
No.. if the merchants choose to accept Visa/Mastercard, they are supposed to agree to their terms, which states that they cannot pass the processing fee back to the consumers. Maybe there is some loopholes here.. but I don't think so.

Enom has a choice, either don't take credit card payments "OR" accept credit cards without the 3% charges. They are taking a free ride and passing back the charges to the consumers. :mad:

The Icann fees column is new - but the fees and taxes themselves are already included in the price of the domain name. Soon they will be split up into seperate columns, but the pricing will not change.

Gariben is correct in that merchants can not charge a "Processing Fee" to their consumers - but they can charge convenience fees or an equivelant - so long as they do not call it a processing fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators