Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Technology request: Snapnames gets it and holds it for a set price. Other option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crown

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there selling the technology so a person can just try to pick up their own backorder with their own pc/server?? The middlemen arent what they used to be.

I use several backordering companies. I signed up with namejet and faxed in my ID the first day they opened shop. I fiddled around with a few others. Been with Snapnames since 2005. I just feel slighted and think we all should have a fair shot.

I know Snapname has been doing the technique of holding certain names and listing it as a buy it now price for a while but in this particular name I do feel a bit uneasy/violated. My thought is.... if I am going to back order a name with you... then put a little star next to the name beforehand to let me know you arent ever actually going to give it to me or put it up for auction. Just say, "hey, we want to do a set price if we get this one". Then I dont have to be concerned about names I backorder that I am well aware from over a half decade of experience of using your system that others either did not back order or if they did there was only one or two others.

Several names they did this to I understood, lots of people wanted them. But now its to the point of if the name rings up as valuable to a particular person or some online generated valuation tool, they pick it up and dangle a set price they know they wouldnt have gotten in auction for but someone is stuck paying if they want the name they already have been informed you want.

I back ordered the name before they started to do this system. At the time, I relied on them to put it up for auction or I win it outright if no one else bids. Switching to the ransom system feels wrong especially with names backordered before they came up with the scheme. I can see with no more halvarez bidding a system needed to be in place to replace him on their end.... I also get being a long time customer is irrelevant, company has been bought and rinsed out, there is no allegiance or consideration given in the industry. But after all this time it still feels like a family member wronged me.

I'd pay for use of software that lets me get an honest shot at a name without all the sketchy stuff. Not a company. Something I can upload or download and crack away a chance at. Anyone know of one?

Last edited:

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this so take it for what it's worth, but . . .

I think it's a challenge for one guy like you or me to snag a domain when backordering companies have so many different registries that can snap the name that you really don't stand a chance.

Now if it's for more of an obscure domain that you may want for personal use you may be able to get that.

That and also the fact that these companies tend to get good names via Pre Release usually means you are stuck going through them.

I wish there was an easy way to do this so you wouldn't have to rely on them.

Hopefully, someone with more experience here can help you out. . . and offer a more informed opinion.

Skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators