Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.tel = .fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.tel will ruin the wolves :)

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of the risk, yet worthy of the potential. Fail, yes it most likely will. Succeed, likely not. But (with a giggle), there might be a monetary gain for a good name.

I do not put all my eggs in one basket :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's your business plan ?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.tel is the most sucker extension never born.

Spend all money you have on it (good luck, seriously)...but don't try to sell us this s...

^ our resident domain expert, Carter.

Marketing Guru

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow. Some really hardcore wishful thinking going on here.

R.I.P. .mobi, .cc, .tv, .biz... soon to be joined by .tel.

I remember when dot net was worthless, and dot org was inaccessible for commerce. Once people get used to a TLD its here to stay.

The only thing necessary for a TLD to fail is for good developers to do nothing.

If we develop the domains instead of camping on them, users will get used to using the TLD's, and they will become a permanent part of the lexicon of the web.

I think that .tv, .info, .biz, .mobi, .pro and .us are all still in the game. And there are others that will move the ground.

I think that .name, .aero, .coop were too weird, too narrowcasted, and will stay in the junkheap.

If they open dot tel up for transfer and development, it may knock .mobi out of the game, or they might dilute each other. But then again, in the future every web site will be geared for handhelds, so a specific handheld extension will be kinda like boasting "automatic" in chrome across the back of your volkswagon. A quaint reminder of days past.

Until then .tel is just an incomplete phone book. "I'll look up Karen. Nope, she's not on there. How about Phil? Nope. Hmmm. Let me try the yellow pages. Got it!".

And what is with the speed argument? It is faster than dot whatever because all 1K of my contact info only has to travel from the DNS to my computer rather than wait another millisecond for it to come from a more remote server. And what if their DNS servers have a catastrophic event? Everyone goes down together? Pointless. Solves a problem that did not exist. And might make us less secure by considating rather than distributing our data.

.tel = .what-were-they-thinking

But everyone has an opinion . . .

- MG

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only thing necessary for a TLD to fail is for good developers to do nothing.
To enjoy recognition an extension must be embraced by end users (*), not just developers.
'Developer' extensions like .cc are just that... developer extensions :)

(*) preferably major players, that's why .biz sucks - it's the small fry extension :)

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.tel's reason for existence is the most pointless I've ever seen; a single point of contact page? Why would you have a whole different website instead of just having a contact page hosted on your site/same domain?

Makes no sense, at least not to me...
...and .tel of all extensions? Surely the telephone is being outdated all of the time... .mobi is better, it's more modern...hell actually, .dir would have been a better TLD than .tel, because .tel isn't related to TELEPHONE, at least .dir would be good for a contact directory or something.

ICANN needs to stop implementing new TLDs and gTLDs and focus on what we have to work with. There's too many as it is!

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bet you none of those companies are using the .tel.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's funny how defensive TM registrations by the large corporations are automatically viewed as an endorsement :cool:
Still a few like paypal etc didn't even deem it worthwhile to secure their brands in .tel :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:

Shetan

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks, i have joined this forum awhile back but used it for buying a bunch of .me since i was banned on NP for a few days i came here to check out the .tel hype how it has been there.

it seems 95% people are against the .tel and 5% people are still optimistic and think it might do good.

well i have registered me around 10 .tel domains and have the following let me know what you guys think

autoparts.tel
immigrating.tel
traveling.tel
dietitian.tel
ship.tel
finances.tel
aids.tel
decoration.tel
automobiles.tel

i think the above 9 .tel domains can make a nice directory and even let say u get 100 people who want to list on your tell and pay u as little as 10 US$ a month u make over 1,000 US$ a month x 12 = 12,000 where as you paid 3500 for over all 3 yrs so where is it bad ?

i think .tel should be looked at more as a developer end rather then investor end as .tel is not like .com for sure not all .tel domains can be a hit.

Shahid.tel ( my name ) registered as well due to alot of name going out. and my name means alot to me even someone offers me 1m for it :) its mine rather then his

so good luck to everyone who has invested, we all will learn a lesson if we did a good thing or a bad time will tell.

please do not encourage or discourage anyone about this domain as domain name are bought for 2 purposes

1) investment
2) development

as far as i know almost everyone is quite good at it, someone who even has a
123yt.com he wants 10,000 for it :d so no1 will go wrong in the domain.

good day just shared my thought if you like it do appreciate it if you didnt do
ignore it.

Shahid

Coming to companies.

www.telnic.org it will show you all companies including

MC Dondald

and many more have already registered there domains
with .tel so they know what .tel is

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My sincerest condolences for your loss. *Shakes head in disbelief*.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@ Shahid, for 3500 usd, you could get about 4 or 5 LLL.nets, would been good investment than .tel

Well good luck mate, I hope your .tel shines and you make millions.

I invested Big Fat Zero in .Tels.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think the above 9 .tel domains can make a nice directory and even let say u get 100 people who want to list on your tell and pay u as little as 10 US$ a month u make over 1,000 US$ a month x 12 = 12,000 where as you paid 3500 for over all 3 yrs so where is it bad ?
To begin with - there are not so many companies that will pay for a featured (paid) listing in the yellow pages.
But it still makes sense to advertise in the yellow pages because they get a lot of traffic. On the other hand you will have zero natural traffic to your .tel domains, because so few people know the extension even exists. Even if you were to reinvest all the money in advertising you will still have zero visibility. Competing with the yellow pages, established directories and *real*, interactive websites... good luck.
Without traffic... your names are useless. God bless you.

FreakySteve

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is the harshest forum I have seen in a while.

The supporters of .tel appear to be silenced by the critics, who definitely weigh heavy here.

Dot-tel is a developers dream. It may not be for everybody, but for some people it will be gold.

The rules for dot-tel are different. The parkers don't like it because you can't put up crappy parking pages. The flippers don't like it because "it's useless". Well good, go buy another dot-somethingelse, this will make it easier for me and other telsters to grab more when general availability hits.

Even at $300 each, they are still registering like mad. It looks like some people believe in dot-tel :uhoh:

I wonder how many of you haters secretly have a stash of dot-tel domains registered?

Anyone buying ***tel.com domains? You could buy these and still not technically be buying .tel domains :p

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Steve, the fact is that you cannot put up *any* sort of page on a .tel domain, not just crappy ones ;)
You can only input and display contact info. If that's *all* you need, you can do it with a .com, .net, .org etc. Hell, even with a .mobi

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is the harshest forum I have seen in a while.

Dot-tel is a developers dream.

Well here is more bad news - developers see this for what it is - a useless extension that limits what you can do with it.

So how is it when you are limited to what you as a developer can do with your own domain, it is somehow a dream?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Steve, the fact is that you cannot put up *any* sort of page on a .tel domain, not just crappy ones ;)
You can only input and display contact info. If that's *all* you need, you can do it with a .com, .net, .org etc. Hell, even with a .mobi

Yeah. I don't know how it could be a devlopers dream when you don't develop any kind of site on it. Its just a single contact info page and it gets the contact info from dns/cname records.

FreakySteve

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is interesting to me how some people like to describe .tel domains as only holding "contact" information. Yes, this is a big sales point, however, more accurately, .tel domains store "data".

You can very efficiently organize DATA in the DNS of virtually any type. Yes this is true of any other domain, but this is the specialty of .tel.

So no, you can't have a web page, but you can organize and store information in a way previously unexplored.

Will it be successful? That remains to be seen. I have actually written an article about this and other related topics in my blog, but rather than repeat, I will just expand and comment on what's being said here.

It's really easy to say dot-tel will fail because all other TLDs have not lived up to .com and this is just another TLD. But for those who are creative and daring , dot-tel may be the thing.

The other upside is that this TLD offers a level playing field for entry. So for those of us who don't have a one-word or LLL.com filled portfolio, .tel offers some interesting possibilities in a number of areas.

I also understand that the success of a new TLD could negatively affect the value of your other domain holdings. If ***.tel gains the lead in headspace then ***.net isn't so exciting.

But dot-tel isn't meant to compete like that, it's different.
If you don't get it, stick with the other TLDs.
If you do get it, I am looking forward to seeing what you create.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom