Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The 2002 infoAwards Nominees has been selected

• Thread starter infoawards.info
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

infoawards.info

THE 2002 infoAwards NOMINEES HAS BEEN SELECTED.

Discover what we think are the 67 best .info sites in the World. They are perfect examples of the huge potential of the .info domain extension. And this is only the beginning.

To see them go to:
infoAwards - The Nominees

Tell to your friends and colleagues and help us promoting the .info domain extension. All Internet users will benefit fron it.

Those are the numbers until now (from May 6, 2002):

9,297 visits from 83 countries all over the World
2,536 votes
227 candidates
67 nominees
9 winners (to be announced on December 1, 2002)

THE INFOAWARDS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL AWARD.
We have limited time, and so far, no money, but we are working very hard to make a much better edition for next year. The talks with Afilias are going in a good direction and they should help us with the promotion of the Awards around the World for 2003 (still not sure). We have started talking with other companies for sponsoring to be able to transfer the site from the free service hosting in which it is now, to a paying one.

REMEMBER: The winners will be announced on December 1, 2002.

Thanks to all of you for your collaboration.

Christian Castresana
Founder
"The bes .info Sites in the World"
infoAwards
www.infoawards.info

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question ... who selected these final nominees ?

Votes .. the vote count did not seem to .. reflect the finalists ..

One of finalist nominees recieved over 200 votes in a very short space of time after being stagnent for Months...

Another finalist nominee was entered just recently .. very recently .. and has a very mediocre vote count ..

What does all of this mean ? do votes count .. ?

I

infoawards.info

The Nominees are selected by Christian Castresana after a one by one evaluation of all the candidates. The choice has not been eassy at all.

The winners will be selected among those Nominees by putting together the evaluation of different people.

The number of votes is only one of the criteria that has been taken into account to select the Nominnees. The final score is an average that evaluates the votes, the design, the usability and the content of the site.

The Candidates pages list the candidates by number of votes. So the ones at the top, are not The TOP 10, but just the ones that have received more votes. Also does not mean that are the better ones.

From the infoAwards point of view the Top 10 for each category are the 10 Nominees in each one, not the 10 candidates with more votes. I hope I explain myself good enough.

The Nominees page shows the sites that are the best, once done the average from all the criteria. Administrator.info is not the only site selected that is not between the top 10 votes of their category. There are many others.

The category "Top votes" is the only one that take into account the votes received to be selected as a Nominees for that category.

When you go into the Candidates you will understand why some sites that received a lot of votes are not among the Nominees for their category, and others that received a single vote are. Just because they are better from a global point of view.

I think for the next edition we will put the sites in the Candidates page by alphabetical order, like that nobody will be thinking that because they have a lot of vote they are better.

People that appeared recently they have all the rights. We accepted new candidates until October 31, 2001.

People that received a lot of votes in a single day were using automated systems of voting, unfortunately we thought people would have been fair, but reality shows that are not. For the next edition we will introduce a much more controled system of votes.

In any case, the votes is not hte key. We evaluate quality, not only votes, if not it would be to easy to win and not fair for the best. Go into the Nominees sites, you will discover excellent.

We are trying to improve for the next edition. And all contributions are very welcome.

infoAwards.info

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would appear that going to the trouble of soliciting votes and promoting the .info awards is a waste of time .. h?h

Next Year maybe you should take into consideration the exposure to search engines of the .info sites .. because none will ever achieve type-in status without it.

Useing Google as a bench mark some of the top nominees do not rank at all .. example the top nominee is listed as a frame and the URL has to be typed into the Google search box even to find it .. another is listed as a .de not a .info.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He does have a .info domain for the Info Awards, but it goes to a frameset that hides the actual URL of the pages, which is in the .com domain noted above. To link to a specific page in that site, you've got to pierce the veil of domain subterfuge by going straight to the brinkster.com address. Probably, he was too cheap to get a hosting account for the infoawards.info domain, though that would have made the whole site seem more professional.

About Google rank, one of my sites, tatiana.info, is currently fifth place in Google on a search for "Tatiana". Sometimes it has been as high as second place. But it failed to make the finalist list in the awards, though it got more votes than many sites that did make it.

I

infoawards.info

I think many people does not know that the infoAwards started from nothing. I am doing this during my free time and I do not have at all money to waste on that. The site is in a free hosting service but I am working to try to get sponsoring for the next edition in order to be able to host it in a paying service. But step by step. I some people want to contribute they are welcome.

Of course people that has been not nominated is not happy. But nobody here has talked jet about the quality of the Nominees sites. I am not thinking to please people, but to evaluate quality. For next year edition I will introduce a much more clear system of evaluation.

Visit the Nominees and tell me something about quality, not how many votes did you have on your sites. In some cases the votes come only from one or two persons, something that was forbidden. But nobody talks about that.

.info domains are not good and known enough to make votes count at levels that other Internet awards do. Simply because people has been unfair when voting.

Sorry for does that feel not good about the nominations. My only intention is to promote the .info.

AND ANOTHER THING. I AM NOT DOING SPAM. I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING. I DO NOT WIN ANYTHING WITH THE INFOAWARDS. AND I DO NOT WANT TO WIN ANYTHING. EVEN MORE I WASTE MY TIME FOR THE BENNEFIT OF OTHERS.

THE INFOAWARDS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL AWARDS. I HOPE IT IS CLEAR.

Thanks for your commentaries, will help for next edition.

cxz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
infoawards is a good work. i appreciate it.
it deserves making money eventually. I would pay for advertising on their site (when it becomes functional).

D

dkny

your voting script is badly designed. you should make it simpler and allow only one vote per one computer. your current system allow unlimited number of votes if using fake email.

I

infoawards.info

I know but now it can not be corrected until next edition. Obviosly some bad faith people has used this mistake on their bennefit.

Thanks to all of you who appreciate the hard work done.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Note that, although the winners supposedly won't be announced until December 1, you can actually see a whole list of supposed winners at:
http://www11.brinkster.com/infoawards/thewinners.htm

So, is the outcome of these awards as much as a done deal in advance of the supposed decision date as are most ICANN board decisions?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's the thought that counts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom