Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Car You Drive Will Determine The Phone You Buy.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since this past week's Google I/O, there has been some intense marketing analysis and studies published.

If you are into that sort of stuff, some people have released some fascinating material covering all aspects of human behavior and consumerism.

Phone wars (Android vs. Apple) has gone into the nuclear option stage.

One such study (sorry, did not save the link) outlines consumer trends. For instance, typically a consumer keeps their mobile phone for a period of 2.5 years before upgrading or changing models. That same consumer is likely to keep their car for a period of a little over 7 years.

With the automakers now lining up with the Android or Apple in-car communication and technology, it will be interesting over the next several years to see what influences the buyer most when making a decision:

If I am using iPhone, do I buy a car that is Apple ready or do I buy a car that I really like, ditch the iPhone, and buy Android.

or...

If I am using Android phone, do I buy a car that is Android ready or do I buy the car I really like, ditch the Android phone, and buy an iPhone.

The phone giants (Apple and Google - aka Android) are betting that once you buy that car you will continue to use and upgrade your phone over several years to keep you current and in-sync with your car's system - apple or android.

As for the automakers, here is how they pan out:

These guys are Android Auto exclusive so far:

• Abarth
  • Acura
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Audi
  • Bentley
  • Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Fiat
  • Infiniti
  • Jeep
  • Maserati
  • Mazda
  • RAM
  • Renault
  • Seat
  • Skoda
  • Volkswagen
And these brands are currently working with only Apple’s CarPlay:

• BMW
  • Citroen
  • Ferrari
  • Jaguar-Land Rover
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Peugeot
  • Toyota
A few brands have already signed up with both tech giants:

• Chevrolet
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Kia
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Opel
  • Subaru
  • Suzuki
  • Volvo

Personally, I think you are going to see a trend of price fixing, incentives, and auto dealers giving away (naturally the charges will be buried in the sticker price) ultra high end phones to entice consumers to buy their auto makes and models.

Domain summit 2024

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. That actually makes me reconsider my next vehicle purchase.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. That actually makes me reconsider my next vehicle purchase.
Precisely what the giants (google vs apple) wants.

I recall growing up and seeing the cereal wars, the cola wars, the beer wars playing out on print and television.

Nothing previous will prepare us for the onslaught in enticements that will actually redefine our buying habits.

Yes, if you think you want an Audi and you are currently iPhone enabled, you are going to have to ditch your iPhone and buy an Android model.

The fact that there are more mobile devices in use today than there are people on the planet is incredible. Automakers aligning with phones of certain operating systems will ensure a perpetuation of the mobile devices for an infinite amount of time. Model after model after model.

What I see is the auto weighing more heavily in the decision making process over the phone. Most people are very brand loyal when it comes to autos vs mobile devices. A $600 purchase of an iPhone is not going to sway me away from a $60,000 Audi if I want an Audi. And since I believe most automakers will throw in the phone with the auto purchase, it really makes the phone a negligible factor in the decision making process.

Throw in the fact that wearables are and will continue to be a hot commodity (ie, smart watches) and suddenly you will have to make additional choices. Do I buy an Android smarwatch or the Apple brand? After all, you do want a seamless fluid connectivity in your life, don't you?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Precisely what the giants (google vs apple) wants.

I recall growing up and seeing the cereal wars, the cola wars, the beer wars playing out on print and television.

Nothing previous will prepare us for the onslaught in enticements that will actually redefine our buying habits.

Yes, if you think you want an Audi and you are currently iPhone enabled, you are going to have to ditch your iPhone and buy an Android model.

The fact that there are more mobile devices in use today than there are people on the planet is incredible. Automakers aligning with phones of certain operating systems will ensure a perpetuation of the mobile devices for an infinite amount of time. Model after model after model.

What I see is the auto weighing more heavily in the decision making process over the phone. Most people are very brand loyal when it comes to autos vs mobile devices. A $600 purchase of an iPhone is not going to sway me away from a $60,000 Audi if I want an Audi. And since I believe most automakers will throw in the phone with the auto purchase, it really makes the phone a negligible factor in the decision making process.

Throw in the fact that wearables are and will continue to be a hot commodity (ie, smart watches) and suddenly you will have to make additional choices. Do I buy an Android smarwatch or the Apple brand? After all, you do want a seamless fluid connectivity in your life, don't you?

I actually was considering an Audi S4 (the supercharged model) but if it doesn't sync with my iPhone it definitely makes me reconsider their brand. Of course, I own a Macbook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. I'm a huge Apple user and will never switch to an Android device.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually was considering an Audi S4 (the supercharged model) but if it doesn't sync with my iPhone it definitely makes me reconsider their brand. Of course, I own a Macbook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. I'm a huge Apple user and will never switch to an Android device.
I use apple laptops and mac mini's. All other devices are android or MS.

I'm in good company if I decide on one of the Audi TDI models. :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom