Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

The cat is out of the bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The cat has jumped out of the bag again. Yes I did purchase DNForum.com from Dan.

A little history:

I started Perfectname.com in February when I saw Afternic had become the worst place to sell a domain name. I was extremely unhappy with their customer service. Initially I planned to open up Perfectname.com for others to list their names. I didn't understand why Great Domains and Afternic shunned domain resellers by doing things like shutting down reseller chat rooms and forums. I wanted to create a gathering place for domain name resellers. I set up a chat room and was about to setup forums when I was advised not to allow others to list because the more names added to the site the harder it would be for buyers to find my names. I decided to cancel those plans and I didn't install forums.

In March, I received an email from Dan asking if I wanted to purchase a couple of his names with a note saying he was starting these forums. I went the site and there was hardly anything there except a cheaper price than Dan quoted me for his names. :D

About 2 months ago someone suggested I check this place out. I was amazed. The place was filled with useful information. I was like a kid in a candy store. I started posting. I was using the forums like a chat room to communicate with old friends. (I didn't find the chat room right away). I have greatly benefited from these forums. I have purchased several domain names and I'm sure sold several domain names as a result of being on these forums.

These forums caused me to rethink my decision about allowing others to list on perfectname.com. I saw that resellers, more than ever, needed a replacement for Great Domains and Afternic. A key ingredient to a domain sales site is the smooth exchange of money for a domain name. Many of you saw a successful conclusion to my pursuit of an escrow name when I purchased EscrowPlus.com from a fellow DNForum member.

Then Dan started having hosting problems. People who had come to count on DNForum.com were anxious. I didn't want to see everyone abandon ship. I could see that DNForum had become a burden to Dan. After the longest outage, I contacted Dan and asked if he wanted to sell. He told me he wanted to wait a couple more years. I respected his decision.

Then when Dan was in the middle of negotiations with the mods, Dan let me know he received an offer from 2 of the moderators.
I told Dan I would purchase only if the mods changed their minds about making the purchase. I figured the mods enjoyed this place as much as I did but that they may determine that it wasn't a wise financial decision to make the purchase. So I was waiting in the wings just in case. Then Realnames came along. He had good intentions but his actions caused chaos.

I know, I may not have made the wisest decision in buying DNForum.com. I felt I should take part in keeping this community alive and at the same time reward Dan for his forethought, vision and the 10 years he has aged in the last week. :D Also, I want to thank the moderators, Safesys, MattyP and Snoopy for all their time and efforts that went into making this place what it is today.

On a techical note. The site will be moving to a dedicated server. The same server that houses www.motherboards.com.

Thanks,

Greg Ricks

Kbeb

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Holy Smokes! That is news!

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not bad gregr, not bad. however, my suggestion about perfectname.com: you should decide which names will be listed, so the good names won't be hidden under thousands of bad names. that sure would attract potential buyers to your site.
nico

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know, I may not have made the wisest decision in buying DNForum.com. I felt I should take part in keeping this community alive and at the same time reward Dan for his forethought, vision and the 10 years he has aged in the last week. Also, I want to thank the moderators, Safesys, MattyP and Snoopy for all their time and efforts that went into making this place what it is today.

Very cool GregR. As a businessman I have to admire the way you were able to conduct yourself throughout and still get the prize you wanted without pissing everyone off! That is an art form in itself and you have obviously mastered it.

I also think the purchase will wind up proving to be a good business decision. Forums may not be a moneymaker, but DNF will be a tremendous complement to PerfectName and EscrowPlus and should lead many more people to your other ventures I think it will in fact be a key element in positioning you above the soon to be "former" big boys of the industry.

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're starting off the right way Greg, with a nice bit of history/announcement, and it's nice to finally have someone who knows how to do it properly (with no disrespect to Dan).

The cryptic posts all make sense now.

Now all I want to know is: Do you count Wanda/SiteTutor/QuietQuality/HippieChick as "close friends". :D

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats Dan!! You L(earned) a few things!!!!!!!!

Hey, wanna' buy some BMW calendars???

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could sense that when I saw your frequent, moderating, and often uplifting posts... and this was further confirmed when I saw that your title had changed to "top banana"... I mean, to "moderator". A very classy and useful post which will probably salvage DNForum. For better or worse, I found it difficult trying to decide whether to stay with Mom or Dad (who could not get along) and have already moved some of my stuff.. but I wish you well. I am also glad that Dan had a chance to get something for his work rather than lose it all due to a mistake in judgement. We all make mistakes and it is nice when life cuts us a little slack. Best wishes.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can't appreciate $7k in the kind of way Dan might, and maybe I can't understand why our financial contributions to help Dan support the forum appeared to be inadequate.

Live goes on I guess. Cestlavi.

Best wishes gregr, and thanks Dan!

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Congrats Greg - and good news about the server. This site really should be on it's owb server.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best wishes, Feliz Navidad, Pojinos Por Jambicos.

Great News and Good Company.

I could never understand the Wanda fascination however... Confusion is a high price to pay for additional traffic. ;)

Later,
~ Nexus

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase Greg. I am glad to hear the news. Wooo

Will you be keeping the other forum around?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
Congratulations on the purchase Greg. I am glad to hear the news. Wooo

Will you be keeping the other forum around?

Thanks everyone. :D

Need to consult with my programmers before I will know the next step.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GREGR, Congratulations on your purchase.

This is a great site, and I am sure that you will keep it that way. Most here remember how Afternic went down the tubes after it was purchased.
:)

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by O.C.
:dancingbanana:
Good point, can the dancing banana be another one of our smilies? :D

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
The dancing banana symbolizes "lighten up, have fun". :D
it really works, everytime you look at it you :laugh: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom