• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

The end of OVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
6,459
Reaction score
3
I don't know if there is a thread solely related to this topic yet...so I figured I'd start one.

Overture's Inventory tool has been down for quite a while now. I doubt its ever coming back. The OVT was a great help, not just for trying to determine type-in traffic, but also the relative sizes of different web markets. Just now I was thinking about developing a domain and wanted to check its growth potential. Not having the OVT tool makes doing this much trickier. It wasn't a perfect tool, but damn, I miss it and I'm sure other domainers do as well.

Thoughts?
 
by down you mean not updated right?
 
Yep, I've heard similar rumours in the past few months, and as the release of Panama draws nearer I can almost definitely see it going for good. It's going to force a lot of domainers to re-evaluate their strategies and it will be interesting to see how the market changes in terms of typo buying - presumably we're going to see tasting increase, but what about ccTLD's and other extensions?
 
mate http://inventory.overture.com works fine from where Im sitting :/

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif] Keyword Selector Tool[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Not sure what search terms to bid on?
Enter a term related to your site and we will show you: Related searches that include your term
How many times that term was searched on last month Get suggestions for: (may take up to 30 seconds)

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Note: All suggested search terms are subject to our standard editorial review process. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
var s_pageName = document.title;
s0599883327523
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Searches done in November 2006[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Count[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Search Term[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 143094[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]briggs myers personality test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 125912[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]test test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 88856[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]iq test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 81543[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]speed test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 60998[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]personality test[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 51883[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]test typing[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif] 40392[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]internet speed test[/FONT]
 
Oveture has been down a lot lately but it still works.

There is also google.com/trends to help. Doesn't give numbers to the names but does help to see where names are marketable.
 
What happen is that your IP got blocked. You are probably having a automated program to search for OVT. What I have learned is that there is a seven seconds minimum delay you must set otherwise your ip will be banned and you can no longer can search for OVT.

If you use DHCP, try to reset your router to get a new IP. That might work...

KW
 
I don't know if there is a thread solely related to this topic yet...so I figured I'd start one.

Overture's Inventory tool has been down for quite a while now. I doubt its ever coming back. The OVT was a great help, not just for trying to determine type-in traffic, but also the relative sizes of different web markets. Just now I was thinking about developing a domain and wanted to check its growth potential. Not having the OVT tool makes doing this much trickier. It wasn't a perfect tool, but damn, I miss it and I'm sure other domainers do as well.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I have been experiencing lots of downtime with OVT nowadays as well. Google Trends I find to be useful data too.
 
I'm sure they only allow a finite number of simultaneous connections anyway, so it looks like there was a socket timeout above, or as varchar suggests, a blocked IP.
 
So it's possible they blocked a range of IPs? Because, I haven't been able to connect to OVT in a while and I dont use anytype of programs to search for ovt. One By One, by hand
 
It still works for me :cheesy:

.... BUT very very SLLLOOOWW :disappointed:

:greenconfused:
 
Ian: Panama is the new release of Yahoo's PPC tool. An updated version of Overture more inline with Google's Adwords. Coming out Q1 '07.
 
So it's possible they blocked a range of IPs? Because, I haven't been able to connect to OVT in a while and I dont use anytype of programs to search for ovt. One By One, by hand

If IPs are sequential then yes.. I have 27 IPs which are non-sequential just for scanning
 
Works fine for me now, but definitely doesn't stay that way for long. If you think it's your ip being banned, use one of the millions of proxy sites to try visiting the site.
The downtime is probably just due to the new PPC system remf talked about, but I don't think they would just eliminate the keyword tool without some notice. They have to know the site gets an insane amount of traffic, they should think of some way to capitalize on that.
 
i always use keyword box- much much MUCH faster
 
I own xOVT.com, which uses the same script as KeywordBox. It has to query overture just like a browser would, so they only thing that makes it faster is that the actual page with the form doesn't take forever to load like inventory.overture.com does.
 
The downtime is probably just due to the new PPC system remf talked about, but I don't think they would just eliminate the keyword tool without some notice. They have to know the site gets an insane amount of traffic, they should think of some way to capitalize on that.

fwiw,
They did give notice about the view bids tool being removed - not the keyword tool but closely related.

Sent on 11/29/06
Dear Advertiser,

As you will soon notice when you log into your Sponsored Search account, we are making some important changes to your Manage Bids page.

In early December 2006, some of the information on the Manage Bids page will no longer be available. We will be removing the "Top 5 Max Bids," "Position" and "Your Cost" columns from the current account interface. The View Bids tool will also be removed.

More info here
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ysm/mkvt/why_changes.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom