Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

* The First .mobi Legal dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The OP danced around trying to sell it on ebay, and sedo that made him look like he was laying about it. OP really never had a chance after that, in any court that would of been the case I'm sure.

Op never once pointed out, that in other cases selling a domain was a biz. And that indeed a side line of his own, after all it's better to sell a domain, and sell it for the same as a built one. And it is all was part of his mobile biz, it was a good trick on the inc's part and he fall for it.

This does not show mobis, are worth alot at all after all he never sold it. I told the OP my self to make a site on the desktop, and a logo so he could show he was indeed building it. But not one word from him about trying to sell it, how could people have help him with that if he never said anything. The fact that he could of used it, for many other things and never once tried was the problem.

His dancing about that, made it look like he was surly not telling the truth. He said he had a site and log built on his desktop, but not one time did the judge say anything about it.

Now if you did infact show the judge that stuff, then you may have a case that the ruling was not good. Base on that fact alone, but even then they got the transscript. That they will use agaist you, if you ever try to take it to court. Getting over that would be hard, but with a layer I'm sure you could give it one hell of a try.

And talking on this broad about it does not hurt, as long as you watch closely what you talk about.

Terminator

RR Media
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I thought it was decided? im not a lawyer so i have no idea. No lawyers helped me with this.
After i got an email from the beginning, i couldnt do anything with my domain. the registar froze it and it still had the link to sedo. Then the judge saw the site and thought i was still making money.

Thats what I thought, you still have the domain in your account, but its frozen pending the outcome. You need to decide if the domain is worth spending money for Attorney fees, perhaps you can find a domain attorney to take the case on consignment as another poster suggested, Think of it from another aspect, if you win the case, an attractive offer to purchase it from the losing party is very likely.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don`t like to see wars between pro mobi and mobi haters.

I feel sorry for thi injustice and I explain why I think it`s an injustice:

why these WIPO judges consider us cybersquatters?
how many of us had or have domains that are equal or similar to TM names?
why these judges have to consider that TRADING (BUY/SELL) domains is illegal?
why I have to put EFFORTS - TIME - MONEY in buying domains and then be accused to be illegal?
I think what they did to Jonathan is alarming and dangerous for all of us, even mobi haters that may joy of this wipo case but if they are smart enought they would see that on one side many companies invite us to register many domains as soon as possible, spend a lot of money. buy their services, etc. and then the other side (the wipo judges, Icann and other people) treat us like rats or thiefts.
Is this fair?

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think what might have been the neck breaker was the 550k asking price.. that might have come across, well I dont want to say how because mobi lovers are very sensitive about any negative feedback when it comes to realistically appraise .mobis...

..., and I still think that the opposite of a mobi lover is not a mobi hater, having the opinion that mobi is just a very well excecuted marketing strategy for a product that itself has no advantage and has nothing to do with any mobile internetdevice or mobility beyond its self declared TLDmobile status..its smart marketing,

.... anyway...all that certainly does not justify corporations that are slow and greedy to come after investors..the biggest problem is that lawyers use this to keep themself busy... to TM a generic term is BS and there def. needs to be put a stop to it (like the TM on the word realtor)...and beside what inexperienced people believe...it matters a lot that the case would be heard in a NYC court and that the company is German,..jurys in the US dont like greedy foreign companies and (as wrong as that might seem) decide against them with big verdicts..

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont think placing a generic name on ebay for 500k is bad faith at all. Domain names are investments and we should be allowed to place our names for sale for any price we want to. We shouldnt have to develop our names either if we dont want to. If he had owned IncMagazine.mobi and tried to sell that for 500k on ebay that would certainly be bad faith. Tons of companies have Inc in their names and its a generic acronym. He could easily have won this with a lawyer.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh but what happens if .mobi in 10 years time, is 2nd highest priced domains as that could happen. It happen with the .coms, at first no one really care much about .coms. But then everyone start getting online, then people start getting .coms. Then a .com went up because of the .com boom, look where they are now, that could happen with .mobis as well.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If i wanted a 3panel judge, i would have to pay $1,500

Seems immaterial compared to the value of the domain name or the expense you would incur trying to get this decision overturned in a court.

This decision will give every name hijacker out there a pretty good precedent to use against mobi owners for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom