Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

moniker The Moniker Market Place shared experiences?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will start this thread by saying Moniker are hands down my preffered registrar, and everything about them is generally one step above all the other major registrars.
My gripe is with their domain marketplace. I have attempted to discuss this with both Don Lyons and Monte, as well as through general support emails, but I have never really had it explained properly to me (Could be I am slow on the uptake)
I have many names listed there, and I get offers on them far more regularly there than at sedo, afternic, and even the forums sometimes. However, I have never had a sale complete. I will elaborate on this further in a minute.

The marketplace is very slow to load, and often when I want to view an offer on one of my names, I must reload the page many times. This is not my browser/connection. Also, there is no way to bulk edit any of the names to my knowledge, which means it can be time consuming and I often neglect to update it.

My main concern is that I sold two names on there recently, where a sale was agreed. Firstly, once a price had been agreed, there was no way to either view the amount agreed nor any further details about the sale. The names went into a sort of 'pending sale' status, and remained that way for several weeks. I completed the steps necessary to move the names to moniker at my end, and more time passed, and I thought this is strange, so I checked, and both names were back for sale in my account, with the negotiations having broken down. These were 3 character .coms in the mid $xxx range. I later received a private email from the person who claimed to have bid on the names, through my own site, and he offered me mid $xx each, claiming that is what they were @ moniker (they certainly were not as all names default to start negotiations from $100). He persisted with offers under $1xx each several times until I lost patience and told him where to go. I cannot be sure he was the original buyer- just his word, and coincidentally the exact same two names? When I contacted Don about the sale cancelling I got a message saying it was due to security concerns, and Moniker wanting to ensure they did not lose any names, which is fair enough, although it was a large inconvenience for me to have those names tied up all that time, and then for them not to sell. This is not a huge issue and I know Moniker were very busy at the time this was going on- Don was actually at a conference but still made time to reply. :)

My dilema now is that I have just received two other offers for higher value names on the marketplace, and I am apprehensive to action them after my previous experiences.

There is no information that I can find as to how the moniker marketplace functions, what measures are in place to prevent fraudulent bidders, and what improvements are to be considered. I would really appreciate any input from anybody able to shed light, and also some reassurance from those who have used the marketplace successfully.

I think the marketplace has tremendous potential (probably working out fine for many) but the interface and lack of accessible infomation about the prcoess of selling a name there is making me think twice about whether it is worth the time to have my names there.

Sorry Don/Monte, you know I love your company, I just really need to straighten this out.

Domain Summit 2024

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think your questions are good ones. I have spent more time recently evaluating Moniker's marketplace. They are moving in the direction of something good no doubt. Their platform will probably go through some improvement stages (my guess) in the near future because more people are definitely visiting their site due to the auctions, etc. With their growing place in the domain industry, it will be worth their while to tweak the marketplace functionality. This should include the "portfolio" creation function that presently does not allow editing of the portfolio once created. I think they are working on that.

I might add a well earned compliment and that is that Moniker have done so much more to promote domain sales than GreatDomains.com. GreatDomains.com are a mere afterthought of Versign ... whereas Moniker seem to thrive on building a solid business around hard work and promotion. Just giving credit where it is due.

On low bids, I ignore them and do not engage the bidder. I placed minimum bid amounts on my site to discourage people from contacting me with low bids. Also raised the minimums at Sedo to conserve time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom