Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The most exciting tld of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.co is not even close.

yes, the existing/used .net and .org are more than .co since the latter is more recent

but .co is better for some uses and often you can find a .co available while the .com .net .org etc. are already registered

last, I often use some sites that end with .co (mainly the x.co) but not on a daily basis

accent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the TLDs of big cities that have the same population of a state may have good chances to become very common, then, well ranked by Google

Ever hear of Los Angeles? Second or Third biggest city in the US. People there refer to their city as "LA" more than "Los Angeles".

.LA domains have been available for years, quietly promoting themselves as domains for the city. (.LA is really Laos, but who's counting?)
Most residents of LA never have used one. The reason, it seems, is that it costs more to market the extension, even in a restricted area like LA, than the revenue brought in by the marketing.

Those dreaming of new TLD wealth better look at that, along with the fact that only .CO of all existing extensions is spending any significant money on marketing - If it paid to market a TLD then the folks that already own them would be already doing it.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't like any as if nobody even uses the ccTLD of US, why use a geo TLD of a city?
Because a city TLD of that size will have similar dynamics to a ccTLD. In ccTLDs, people don't have to remember the ccTLD because its is their country code TLD. They identify with it. This means that what's on the left of the dot becomes far more important and often geographically specific. Brands and business names play a far larger part in ccTLDs, especially when it comes to developed websites. Generics can be lethal in terms of required marketing budgets in ccTLDs.

NYPizza.us is better than Pizza.nyc and would probably rank higher unless G changes the algorithm for IP's in those geo cities (and there will be many of them). Either way, with good SEO, I believe the .US could still outrank the generic "Pizza.nyc".
The business of Search has been going local over the last few years and away from the large generic search engines like Google. Regional (area name + business name) domains might be more important with some of these city TLDs.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but .co is better for some uses and often you can find a .co available while the .com .net .org etc. are already registered
Well .co is not all that it would seem. It was marketed as an alternative to .com TLD but it is not. Approximately 40% of the domains are on Godaddy's nameservers. Development in .co ccTLD is low and many of the domains will never be developed into working websites. In terms of country level market share, .co isn't really a player. Just on the Irish domain market, .co represents only 0.29% of the overall market. (The ccTLD/COM axis has 84.39% of the market). The .co is just around the same as .mobi in terms of market share. The .co.uk sub domain, on the other hand has 5.07% of the Irish market and .eu has 2.34% (Eurid's figure for Irish registrations is wrong as it includes cyberwarehousers using Irish front companies.). This is typical of the problem that non-core TLDs (those outside the set of ccTLD/COM and legacy TLDs) have with country level markets. The end users just don't recognise the TLD and they lose traffic to the ccTLD/COM domains.

last, I often use some sites that end with .co (mainly the x.co) but not on a daily basis
Developing websites, other than the minisites with Joomla and Wordpress, takes time and is expensive. Businesses tend to go with what they know and what they know is the local ccTLD and .COM. Developed websites in .co ccTLD are quite rare. COInternet used to publish claims about high levels of usage and development in the ccTLD however the percentages they were using were even less reliable than a daily horoscope in a tabloid newspaper.

The hard lesson that some domainers have to learn is that if businesses don't develop for a TLD and end users don't use the TLD, then the value of the TLD is low. It doesn't matter how many great keywords or generics are sold if people don't use the TLD because the TLD will end up with these domains just being flipped to other domainers while people continue to register ccTLD and .COM domains.

Regards...jmcc

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm the last to know, but what on earth does .pw stand for?

It means "professional web", in direct competition with .pro, of which, neither are going anywhere.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why I can't understand is why bother intoducing .PW when there was already the .PRO extension ? Arguably much better (unless it has more restrictions than .PW, inc price), much more easily pronounced and remembered, and doesn't it look much nicer, period lol ? Look at both in print. Say both out loud, like when you tell someone your email add or site name verbally (rare now, I know)

If .PRO doesn't get accepted then little .PW is DOA lmao.... (and with .PRO it sounds great even for a doctor's office, non-profit, or a lawyer firm...) although Professional Web was well-intended very few will waste a cent on it

:suspicious:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can we have a .pw sales sub forum so I don't have to see this crap for sale in other areas? :smash:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a ccTLD .pw is as valid as .de (or .cc .tk).
But the rebranding is laughable and geared to suckers. Dot Pee-Wee was not born under the same sun as dot tv.
This one will be quickly forgotten, as fast as .so.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a ccTLD .pw is as valid as .de (or .cc .tk).
But the rebranding is laughable and geared to suckers. Dot Pee-Wee was not born under the same sun as dot tv.
This one will be quickly forgotten, as fast as .so.

Cocos Islands (.cc) population - 596[SUP]
[/SUP]
Tokelau (.tk) population - 1,411

Tuvalu (.tv) population - 10,544[SUP][/SUP]

Palau (.pw) population - 20,956

Somalia[SUP][/SUP] (.so) population - 10,085,638[SUP][/SUP]

Germany (.de) population - 80,327,900[SUP][/SUP]

...I suppose stick with your ccTLD to market to them 30,000 citizens (which include kids, adults and elderly) for dot peewee... :uhoh:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey now we can make our own custom tld's. Do you guys think .bit will attract others to do the same thing? Here is what I found so far:

That article has nothing to do with this topic and is a plug to your own blog. Read the rules lately?

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That article has nothing to do with this topic and is a plug to your own blog. Read the rules lately?
No not really, We are talking about other new extensions too and I am merely just bringing up another new one that has surfaced recently. I am not plugging anything give me a break man. Have you heard about .bit?
Dave

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BTW did anyone else get any LL.pw's? I was able to get two of them... I went for 5 of them. I am all good with any extension with a LL. Just sayin.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No not really, We are talking about other new extensions too and I am merely just bringing up another new one that has surfaced recently. I am not plugging anything give me a break man. Have you heard about .bit?
Dave

Would have if your plug had info on .bit and not ***** over and over.

Interesting, DNF censors the website you're advertising.

And it looks like the miserable failure of New.net.

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Amazing to see QR.PW sell for $6,500... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener