Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

<--- The Next Wave --->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OnSpec said:
...As far as the statement - "location, location, location", I would modify that to information, information, information. The online world is dynamically different to the offline world...

The glut of information so to speak makes location critically important in the "online" world. More to the point, the bulk of "information" out there, in many aspects, is increasingly becoming a commodity.

If for example a thousand websites provide basically the same "information", what differentiates a particular website from all the rest?

Sure quality, service, etc matter, but ultimately it often comes down to location (branding) to standout from the crowd; retain visitors.

In regards to search engines...

Firstly, one can't truly own search engine result placement - best one can do is spend zillions on paid listings; not an option for some select industries due to ever strict content/listing restrictions of major search engines.

Secondly, lack of consistancy of results shown to visitors. Not a big issue yet, but will be as localization/personalization becomes more common - many businesses rely on their result being shown consistantly in the same position to visitors for repeat business; some businesses even advertise blurbs such as "Top listing shown for 'widget' on Google" ... in a world of customized search results, many businesses will find themselves left high and dry; one sees that on a smaller scale everytime Google and others do index updates.

Thirdly, how does one *consistantly* access particular "information" without a "location"? Even the folks who developed the internet recognized one often can't have one without the other...TCP/IP, URI/URL, etc.

Ron

Register for the auction

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Sure quality, service, etc matter, but ultimately it often comes down to location (branding) to standout from the crowd; retain visitors.

I agree, but would add "quality" traffic is what we should strive for. Marketers using "keyword" advertising are now just realizing this.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
I agree, but would add "quality" traffic is what we should strive for. Marketers using "keyword" advertising are now just realizing this.

Some very useful information developing.

Re: "keyword" advertising, you are bang-on Izo!

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Firstly, one can't truly own search engine result placement - best one can do is spend zillions on paid listings; not an option for some select industries due to ever strict content/listing restrictions of major search engines.

A fair enough statement that one can't truly "own" search engine results. But as my signature link illustrates, there are tools to help without spending a bundle. Sure it takes some time, work and commitment, but so does every successful business.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OnSpec said:
Any further thoughts?

Yes. Contacting owners of decent, active/on hold/redemption names, is now the only way to MAYBE get that name at a reseller price. (not counting that stellar flat rate dropservice at GD/WWD/BR .

If there is another way, do tell, please.

M

mole

Sharpy said:
Yes. Contacting owners of decent, active/on hold/redemption names, is now the only way to MAYBE get that name at a reseller price.

Haha, the "Dear __, $100 for your name" after-dnner amusement game. I seem to be doing a lot more today to keep myself "connected" to the pulse. Not that anyone bites...

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OnSpec said:
And is WLS the next landrush?

Things that have changed in a short period of time.

For a year, I felt that WLS was a "AX" hanging over my head.
Two months ago, I finally realized that WLS was not going to happen.
So, within a 4 month period, we have turned 180 degrees.

The numbers of registrars have tripled with a one year period.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good Thread Scott - Richard you are right on the money. Steve

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's hope that that change includes some upward movement in the .us sector. Zou's sale seems to have gotten the "party" started on the right foot.

And .eu is just around the corner. Now that will be interesting.

Any takers?

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know what the next wave is. I'm working on it now.

Anyone doubt me? :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
I know what the next wave is. I'm working on it now.

Anyone doubt me? :)
Love it :-D

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got the first one right, and parked it in your driveway. :)

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The truth will not be told by the few who know.

KraZ

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Search is just the top of the iceberg - I don't pretend to have a crystall ball but I think SEs have been the favourite child of VCs and stock markets for too long.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now that Google has gone public, the overall awareness and the impotance of search and seo continues to gain momentum.

Just how far behind (if that is even correct) can MSN and Yahoo be? And who's to say that one of them won't end up ahead of the pack?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yahoo is running fast.
and they are picking up.
watch for their announcements soon....

Also, I give Chris a lot of credibility.
It's his 'birth right', I guess you can call it that.
He and I know what we are talking about.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
yahoo is running fast.
and they are picking up.
watch for their announcements soon....

Also, I give Chris a lot of credibility.
It's his 'birth right', I guess you can call it that.
He and I know what we are talking about.

Is it time for you (and Chris) to let the cat out of the bag, or has it already been let out and I simply missed it? :goofy:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah what say we resurrect this thread and fill it with some new life again - not "i have the secrets" comments , but the good stuff that it started out with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom