Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Thief strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our domain thief has struck again. This time odyssey.com was stolen. Just happened.

Thanks to all those who have contacted me with supporting data. I am pursuing with NetSol, ICANN, and Congress.

W

WilliamC

Originally posted by nameinvestor
Our domain thief has struck again. This time odyssey.com was stolen. Just happened.

Thanks to all those who have contacted me with supporting data. I am pursuing with NetSol, ICANN, and Congress.

according to dotRegister, and I quote:

Will,

We've initiated an investigation. Most of the domains were new
registration, so no fraudulent action were made by our customers.
But we detected that one of our customers is changing the admin contact of the domains at Network Solutions to transfer them to DotRegistrar. We are working with Netsol to solve the problem.

Exactly,

Bet that was Matt responding to you.

The theft took place BEFORE the transfer, so DotRegistrar is technically correct. Clearly, they would not be investigating with NetSol if they thought all was right with the world.

If they and NetSol confirm the Admin Contact changes took place fraudulently at NetSol, then DotRegistrar is holding names with false Who Is Data which is grounds for deletion of the domain under their own Agreement, para 23 I believe.

Thanks!

W

WilliamC

Originally posted by nameinvestor
Exactly,

Bet that was Matt responding to you.

The theft took place BEFORE the transfer, so DotRegistrar is technically correct. Clearly, they would not be investigating with NetSol if they thought all was right with the world.

If they and NetSol confirm the Admin Contact changes took place fraudulently at NetSol, then DotRegistrar is holding names with false Who Is Data which is grounds for deletion of the domain under their own Agreement, para 23 I believe.

Thanks!

Nope, don't know Matt there.
I have changed my whois data at netsol to ease transfer of quite a large chunk of domains too in the past.

Too bad, he is good to know.

If you knew what I knew about the domains I have listed as stolen you would agree. Sorry, but they now pull forum threads that reveal too much. DotRegistrar is not investigating because it thinks everything is ok.

Good luck to you!

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many people here actually use Network Solutions, but I learned long ago that they were too risky with regard to security for your names. I have owned around 1200 names and the only one I ever had stolen was at NSI. I owned TampaBayMagazine.com. When I registered the name, I did not know that there was a real world magazine with that name. I got an email from a guy offering to buy the name sort of, but there was something suspicious about him.

To make a long story short, one day, he informed me that my name had been transferred to the owner of Tampa Bay Magazine, who was in a dispute with this guy over TampaBayMag.com. Apparently, a web-hosting company, who shall remain nameless, told the magazine owner that they would get my domain(TampaBayMagazine.com) for the magazine. That is exactly what they did. Somehow, they got someone at NSI to change the registration contact info without any email to me.

I got on the phone and asked the web host what they thought they were doing. I also called NSI. The web host eventually got the name back to me and the magazine owner eventually bought it from me at a modest price. We were all happy in the end. However, the experience of losing a name was one I will never forget. It clearly showed me that I could not trust NSI.

HLK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Netsol has been the worst place for anyone to have a Domain.

Anyone who still has names there I ask why?:confused:

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see that those who have been around for a while blame NetSol, while the media refers to VeriSign, or is it VeriSigh? We know who it is.... NelSol duckers cost me my SirName.com

quack :mad:

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume that most people know that Verisign bought Network Solutions a couple years ago during the peak of the DotCom boom. NetSol or NSI was a "Beltway Bandit" company (one of the many consultants that make a comfortable living serving the Federal Government, especially DOD). In some ways, it might have made more sense for NetSol to buy Verisign, but it worked out that Verisign bought NSI. Verisign is based in Mtn View, CA, in the heart of Silicon Valley. So, we had a marriage of a Beltway Bandit with a Silicon Valley Guy. The result: A Silicon Bandit.

Verisign's core business has to do with digital certificates for authenticating websites and other parties online.

Any way you look at it, the main thing that NSI had going for it is momentum. Any big company that has 50 or fewer names with NSI/Verisign will not think twice about paying $35/yr/domain to stay with the "trusted" big player. Never mind that you get better security and easier domain management with almost anyone else.

Makes sense, many of the domains I've sold have been transferred to verisign/netsol despite the better security at the registrar they were held at prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators