Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Think twice before transferring that name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up....

I quite often buy names at TBR via Siber and then move them to NamesPro (Siber just has more success with this)
With the new CIRA rules I now have to wait 60 days to transfer away from Siber and then once that transfer is done I would have to wait 60 days to do a transfer or change of registrant (push) if I wanted to sell the domain on.
Something to keep in mind if you are selling domains....you can't even do a push to a new owner within the same registrar before 60 days.

And be very sure you have your new registrant info correct before you do your transfer as you can't change that info for 60 days after the push/transfer as we found out with a name I sold recently to a member here. Gave them the EPP code and they must have neglected a step transferring it to GD and now have to wait 60 days to get their registrant info in there. So technically...I still own the name.

Ugh!...good one CIRA
(Did they hire GoDaddy to advise them when they created the new rules>

Last edited:

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you sell a name, do not let the buyer transfer it to Godaddy. They can not do a registrar and registrant transfer at the same time.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a .ca to someone this year, it transferred from my Namespro account to their Godaddy account. They had one small glitch but quickly figured out how to work it. Godaddy should have it figured out by now.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Transfer or Push (RAR or RANT) or fresh registration triggers a 60 day wait to do a process again with a .ca domain....CIRA rules now

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, this is a pain in the ass. It depends on the receiving registrar. They can either copy the old registrant/contact details, or they can use the new owner's registrant/contact info. Some registrar's don't give the user that choice, and by default just use a copy of the original registrant & contact details (which is just dumb in my opinion). I mean, really think about it. If I'm moving a domain into MY account, don't you think I want MY contact info by DEFAULT? In any case, I suppose the user should be asked the question at the time they request the transfer with the epp key (or when a user does a push). But I find that many registrars have been slow to incorporate this detail into their registrar software. This just happened again to me last week. I sold a domain through escrow.com, the new owner transferred it with the epp key to easydns, and damn if it didn't have my registrant still. Of course then the new owner didn't want to release the funds at escrow.com. I had to explain the situation and once he understood the problem, they had their lawyer draft up an agreement to protect them and only after I signed did they release the escrow.

So EVERY TIME you give someone an EPP key, you should explain this situation to them, have them ask their registrar if the domain will inherit the old registrant or the new registrant, and then only proceed with both parties knowing the consequences.

Rob

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. I had a problem with a sale where I sent the auth code, but Tucows was involved...aarrrgghjjj. In the end, the buyer did what he should have always have done....set up an account at the existing registrar, ...and there was a simple push. I cannot imagine the hassle of a big sale with Escrow.com Thanks for this thread, as giving a buyer a "heads up" before monies are depostied in Escrow is a great idea. I am still learning about all these 60 day holds.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
just a quick question..do we still get 30 days to renew the domain after expiry? i have a few that expired on the 18th and i got an email saying i have 24 hours to renew..this is namespro.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am still learning about all these 60 day holds.

And that is a sad statement on CIRA's behalf. I don't quite understand all the nuances either, and we are domainers. What kind of chance does a newbie have.

This lack of information and consistency is hurting the .ca industry and should not be considered acceptable. I'm pretty sure that we have learned the rules that we now know through trial and error. This would not be accepted in any other industry.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And that is a sad statement on CIRA's behalf. I don't quite understand all the nuances either, and we are domainers. What kind of chance does a newbie have.

This lack of information and consistency is hurting the .ca industry and should not be considered acceptable. I'm pretty sure that we have learned the rules that we now know through trial and error. This would not be accepted in any other industry.

100% agreement. All the changes they made were supposed to be done to streamline and improve the system - sure doesn't feel that way.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And that is a two edged sword as well.
Ownership still in your name is a hassle for the buyer but having your info in a domain you have sold and no longer control could bring you problems if they used it for questionable purposes...spam..hate site etc.
You would have the recepts showing the sale of the name and dates so you would be absolved...eventually. But it is possible unnecessary grief just the same.
And it could have all been avoided with just a little forethought when the changes were made by CIRA

Jim

yeah, this is a pain in the ass. It depends on the receiving registrar. They can either copy the old registrant/contact details, or they can use the new owner's registrant/contact info. Some registrar's don't give the user that choice, and by default just use a copy of the original registrant & contact details (which is just dumb in my opinion). I mean, really think about it. If I'm moving a domain into MY account, don't you think I want MY contact info by DEFAULT? In any case, I suppose the user should be asked the question at the time they request the transfer with the epp key (or when a user does a push). But I find that many registrars have been slow to incorporate this detail into their registrar software. This just happened again to me last week. I sold a domain through escrow.com, the new owner transferred it with the epp key to easydns, and damn if it didn't have my registrant still. Of course then the new owner didn't want to release the funds at escrow.com. I had to explain the situation and once he understood the problem, they had their lawyer draft up an agreement to protect them and only after I signed did they release the escrow.

So EVERY TIME you give someone an EPP key, you should explain this situation to them, have them ask their registrar if the domain will inherit the old registrant or the new registrant, and then only proceed with both parties knowing the consequences.

Rob

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

I am still getting my 30 days from NamesPro. Any site and functions will stop working on expiry day but I still have 30 days to renew it.

just a quick question..do we still get 30 days to renew the domain after expiry? i have a few that expired on the 18th and i got an email saying i have 24 hours to renew..this is namespro.

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the point of the 60 day period is to be honest... or who it is supposed to protect.

But as others have mentioned, it is possible to do a registrAR and registrANT transfer at the same time, to avoid the double 60-day restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom